Maintenance...Water Pump, T-Stat, Oil Cooler, Flush Engine/Radiator, now head-gasket blown :( (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got started on the passenger side today...after pulling the spark plugs and looking at those. Pulled the Exhaust Manifolds and got my first 'clue' (#2 exhaust port was wet, none of the others were). So...some amount of coolant going through that cylinder.

Got everything off the passenger side (easy side). The fun part begins when going to the driver's side.

Almost NONE of the parts, nuts/bolts have ever been off of my Land Cruiser (23 yrs.) so they are on there pretty tight. But thank goodness I don't live in the rust belt. At least all my fasteners will come off (not snap/twist off) and it is pleasant weather right now. This could have happened in August when it is 'Surface of the Sun' hot in Texas.

Pass Side.jpg
Exh Ports1.jpg
Exh Ports2.jpg
Plugs2.jpg
Plugs3.jpg

Good luck with that repair. The rest off us appreciate you posting up your thought process and pics of your work as you progress.
Thanks and good luck with the work.

Reactions: KTP
I don't live in the rust-belt (feel sorry for those that do) so fasteners are generally in good shape and come off fairly easily.

DID find an exception however. The nut on the EGR pipe put up a good fight.

I'm 6'-5" and have long arms but still had trouble finding a good position to get at it. Started out with a big Cresent Wrench but could see that wasn't going to happen. So I got out a 1/2" Breaker Bar and a Crow's Foot. That combination made a good fit but from the passenger side you'll be pushing it away from you.

So...I made up a 'Belly Board' from material I had laying around. It really helps to have something to lean on when reaching deep into the engine compartment.

The EGR pipe nut couldn't withstand the new combination...and finally relented. Going to attack more of the driver's side stuff tomorrow. Get the upper intake off at least.

Belly Board1.jpg
Belly Board2.jpg
EGR1.jpg
EGR3.jpg
EGR4.jpg

Good work (and glad to see USA on the crowsfoot 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲)

Such a bummer! Hopefully you get it all done quickly! Looks like you're more than half way there!!

What head gasket kit did you end up buying? Toyotapartdeals, has 3 different head gasket sets. The more $$$, the more parts in the kit.

Such a bummer! Hopefully you get it all done quickly! Looks like you're more than half way there!!

Working on it some this morning. Got the Upper Intake off, then fuel rail and injectors out. Got all but one bolt for the lower intake broken loose (going to go back out there in a bit). Probably have to get the last one from underneath. Lots of going 'down under' then back on top, then back under. Not as easy as when I was younger...but what the hell, at least I woke up today, I'm above the grass and vertical...so I can't complain.

So far...haven't snapped off any fasteners or stripped any threads. All of my fasteners are in good shape.

I HAVE dropped some of them (and my tools) down into the nether regions of the engine, but have found all them and I have lots of retrieval tools.

Looks like it would be a good time to replace the hoses underneath the upper intake.

I only have minimal damage to the main wiring harness, but I'd like to know who's bright idea it was to run it right next to a burning hot EGR pipe!

Fuel Rail1.jpg
Intake2.jpg

Upper Intake1.jpg
Main Harness.jpg

@flintknapper you are very meticulous about keeping track of things and sorting your photos! That is great. All your bolts look new! Obviously some heat wrap will do that harness some justice. Definitely worth replacing all the vacuum hose. It's all available from the dealer.

You also MAY consider swapping out the VSV if you are still running an original. Not sure if that is totally cost prohibitive, but you almost need to remove the upper intake manifold to get to it.

1588550884828.png

@flintknapper you are very meticulous about keeping track of things and sorting your photos! That is great. All your bolts look new! Obviously some heat wrap will do that harness some justice. Definitely worth replacing all the vacuum hose. It's all available from the dealer.

You also MAY consider swapping out the VSV if you are still running an original. Not sure if that is totally cost prohibitive, but you almost need to remove the upper intake manifold to get to it.

View attachment 2294449

Thanks for that info.

I have the upper intake off and fuel rail. Got all the bolts except for one on the lower intake off/out.

Got one that is kicking my A$$. I can just barely get on it from underneath with a bunch of extensions but the angle so bad its hard to keep the socket on it when I apply torque AND it looks like there might be a Knock Sensor right below it and we darn sure don't want to break one of those.

Not sure how I'm going to this one off (EGR pipe and other stuff makes it impossible to reach to reach from above.

Lower Intake bare1.jpg

I think you can leave the lower on there.

I think you can leave the lower on there.

I could if I pulled the wiring all through the intake. Was planning on removing the lower intake and just pulling it back out of the way. I'm hoping to just slap a head gasket on it and button it back up so I can put it back on the road until this fall when I'll pull the engine and go through it and the head.

I could if I pulled the wiring all through the intake. Was planning on removing the lower intake and just pulling it back out of the way. I'm hoping to just slap a head gasket on it and button it back up so I can put it back on the road until this fall when I'll pull the engine and go through it and the head.

That's right. Been a while since I had mine off. Well I'm sure you won't let that bolt win!!!

That's right. Been a while since I had mine off. Well I'm sure you won't let that bolt win!!!

^^^^

Perish the thought.

It did hand me my A$$ today however.

Reactions: KTP
Have you watched @OTRAMM head gasket video on YouTube? He does a pretty good job covering the gotchas.

Have you watched @OTRAMM head gasket video on YouTube? He does a pretty good job covering the gotchas.

I did, but his latest head gasket video is with engine out of vehicle (bolts readily accessible)...so he is clearly smarter than me.

Well....finally got that last bolt. Turns out it wasn't even difficult (when approached from the correct angle). For some reason I was stuck on trying to get at it either from above or below (as with all the others). But since that wasn't working....'Big Dummy' finally decided to look through the wheel well. And of course, it's nearly a straight shot at it from that direction.

So...got the lower intake pulled back out of the way. Only lack disconnecting the PHH and can then remove the Cams and Pluck the head. But I've been cleaning up parts as I go...so didn't want to tackle that today.

As has been the case...all of my fasteners have cooperated and most don't even need to go to the parts washer, just brush them off a little and bag them up.

I was surprised to find a single bolt with a 13mm head on it (transmission dipstick bracket). I thought there were no 13's on the Land Cruiser?

Have also learned to make life easier on myself with respect to reaching all those things (hose clamps, nuts, etc) that are WAY back someplace tight by using a pair of Long Reach Pliers.

Those of you with 'normal' hands probably don't need any special tools. But I have 'Bear Paws'...and they are perfectly worthless when it comes to working in the tight areas of the engine compartment. If you need a license plate ripped in two...I'm your guy. But reaching back to get that blasted nut that holds the ground cable to the rear of the intake....that's another matter.

Anyway, a little more progress today.

Lower Intake Removed.jpg
Valve Cover Clean.jpg
VC Bolts.jpg
LR Pliers.jpg

I couldn't remember how I got to that bolt! You just reminded me!! Doh. Glad you got it. I always find that when I am stuck, a new day and perspective works wonders to get unstuck!

The baffle on your valve cover looks brand new! Clearly you've always been on top on your oil changes!

I couldn't remember how I got to that bolt! You just reminded me!! Doh. Glad you got it. I always find that when I am stuck, a new day and perspective works wonders to get unstuck!

The baffle on your valve cover looks brand new! Clearly you've always been on top on your oil changes!

Yes, a new day and clearer head really helps. Can't believe I didn't think of looking there before....but I didn't.

I've had my Cruiser since it was 3 yrs. old (20 yrs. now) so I've had complete control over the maintenance since then and do all my own work, that helps.

I really appreciate how well built these vehicles are and the engineering efforts to make them 'rebuild-able' is evident...even if they aren't the easiest vehicle to work on.

If I'd known you were on this job, I'd have been on the phone to you to give tips and the like! You've got it well in hand. Here's some random stuff and I'll PM you my cell.

Leave the lifting eyes on, or reinstall when actually lifting the head. Get clarity on the part where the 1 dots and 2 dots line up on the cam gears to be in the right position for unbolting the cams. Was not intuitive first time I did that. Do a good job with a piece of copper wire holding the timing chain to the cam gear. Use a piece of towel or other to block the large timing hole with the head off at the front of the engine while working. Disastrous place to drop something in that yawning opening. I used a tummy board like yours and also another board to hold my tools. I removed the air cleaner assembly completely and could comfortably sit there with my feet down in the engine bay in that big empty space. Clever trick to make precise fit cylinder circles is take a FedEx envelope over the cylinder and gently tap all around the edge with plastic hammer, essentially cutting the disc out in this fashion. Repeat 5 times. Great time to replace those heater hoses at the back of the engine. You will literally go nuts trying to get new ones on later. Wrap the engine loom at the EGR with racing heat shield product. Worth doing. Wear a headlamp if you're not already. Don't kneel on your radiator top tank, something I'm sure you already know. Send your injectors to Mr. Injector here in Coeur d'Alene, ID and he'll balance their output and your TwinCam Six will be smooth enough to balance a nickel on. Though my 97 has never been as smooth as my 93 is. Take this opportunity to clean your throttle body with EFI cleaner - not carb cleaner which is too strong for some sensors. I used the original factory head bolts twice on my 97 after having the shop measure them for me, so don't buy new ones as pricey as they are. Do clean your block holes well and oil the washers and threads on reinstall. Sorry so wordy......

Doug

If I'd known you were on this job, I'd have been on the phone to you to give tips and the like! You've got it well in hand. Here's some random stuff and I'll PM you my cell.

Leave the lifting eyes on, or reinstall when actually lifting the head. Get clarity on the part where the 1 dots and 2 dots line up on the cam gears to be in the right position for unbolting the cams. Was not intuitive first time I did that. Do a good job with a piece of copper wire holding the timing chain to the cam gear. Use a piece of towel or other to block the large timing hole with the head off at the front of the engine while working. Disastrous place to drop something in that yawning opening. I used a tummy board like yours and also another board to hold my tools. I removed the air cleaner assembly completely and could comfortably sit there with my feet down in the engine bay in that big empty space. Clever trick to make precise fit cylinder circles is take a FedEx envelope over the cylinder and gently tap all around the edge with plastic hammer, essentially cutting the disc out in this fashion. Repeat 5 times. Great time to replace those heater hoses at the back of the engine. You will literally go nuts trying to get new ones on later. Wrap the engine loom at the EGR with racing heat shield product. Worth doing. Wear a headlamp if you're not already. Don't kneel on your radiator top tank, something I'm sure you already know. Send your injectors to Mr. Injector here in Coeur d'Alene, ID and he'll balance their output and your TwinCam Six will be smooth enough to balance a nickel on. Though my 97 has never been as smooth as my 93 is. Take this opportunity to clean your throttle body with EFI cleaner - not carb cleaner which is too strong for some sensors. I used the original factory head bolts twice on my 97 after having the shop measure them for me, so don't buy new ones as pricey as they are. Do clean your block holes well and oil the washers and threads on reinstall. Sorry so wordy......

Doug

Excellent pointers.
Got your PM, thank you Doug.

Some of the small hoses showed up this morning...so have a few more things to keep me busy.

Small Hoses.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom