strange U-bolt plate? hj47 specific? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I was doing my brakes yesterday and noticed that my u-bolt plates have a crack in them at the little drain hole in the rear. It doesnt look structural but wanted to ask about it but then started looking up plates and mine seem to be rare and oddball compared to what I was seeing. this is the plate, see the hole closest to the camera. that has rusted at the outer edge and is now cracked. thinking this is not a big deal. that said Im curious about these plates. the springs are huge so wondering if this is a troopy specific plate for carrying 11 200lb men? if this crack is an issue, wondering if I need particular replacement plates or if I can get any late 80s fj40 plate? or some high clearance plates? If I go high clearance, can someone suggest the superior choice? Thanks!

Toyota-Landcruiser-LHR-RHR-U-Bolt-seat-spring-plate-left-hand-rear-right-hand-rear-HJ47-pair_1.jpg

Toyota-Landcruiser-LHR-RHR-U-Bolt-seat-spring-plate-left-hand-rear-right-hand-rear-HJ47-pair_1.jpg

It looks like the standard 47 plate..

Below is a photo from a trip I did a few years ago when mine broke. The shock absorber was hanging loose, and one U Bolt was exposed but hanging on for dear life.. I did another 1000klms on dirt before I found a matching one on a wrecked vehicle in an outback community and stole it. I swapped it track side. I believe my crack likely started exactly where you've described yours.

Your plate has to be changed, I am confident it will fail like mine at some point in the future. If you're a very competent welder then go ahead and weld it, I think its a forged part, not cast, which will make it easier to weld.

Here's the full photo set from that trip if you're interested.. I went on to break leafs in both front spring packs after 2000klms of the most brutal corrugations I've ever seen, there's a camel chase video in there too that's quite amusing. Anne Beadell/Holland Track Trip 2021

1704492167041.png

1704492149121.png

Last edited:
It looks like the standard 47 plate..

Below is a photo from a trip I did a few years ago when mine broke. The shock absorber was hanging loose, and one U Bolt was exposed but hanging on for dear life.. I did another 1000klms on dirt before I found a matching one on a wrecked vehicle in an outback community and stole it. I swapped it track side. I believe my crack likely started exactly where you've described yours.

Your plate has to be changed, I am confident it will fail like mine at some point in the future. If you're a very competent welder then go ahead and weld it, I think its a forged part, not cast, which will make it easier to weld.

Here's the full photo set from that trip if you're interested.. I went on to break leafs in both front spring packs after 2000klms of the most brutal corrugations I've ever seen, there's a camel chase video in there too that's quite amusing. Anne Beadell/Holland Track Trip 2021

View attachment 3525705
View attachment 3525704
Ok, so its standard and 47 paltes are rare I guess. Yeah the tiny piece in that outer hole is cracked. Ill inspect to see if there is any craking starting in the main part of the plate. for now Ill zap that crack adn keep my eye out for new plates. is high clearance not an option for the 47? another question, looking at your pics. what rear axel is that with discs? looks like a toyota brake on there. I was unaware of a a toyota rear disc option for these.

Ok, so its standard and 47 paltes are rare I guess. Yeah the tiny piece in that outer hole is cracked. Ill inspect to see if there is any craking starting in the main part of the plate. for now Ill zap that crack adn keep my eye out for new plates. is high clearance not an option for the 47? another question, looking at your pics. what rear axel is that with discs? looks like a toyota brake on there. I was unaware of a a toyota rear disc option for these.

The pic is from the front axel

The pic is from the front axel
not sure which pic your talking about but the one i posted is the rear, and Im pretty sure the broken one that @duncanrm posted is the rear too. dont know of any 40s with the front shock attached to the u-bolt plate.

hahah inspected my plates closer and they are definitely hittin a crack just like that posted one. on both sides. so Ill be investing in some u-bolt flip kits soon :) unless anyone has anything bad to say about them. please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom