Machinists? What do you think this Starrett setup is for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously it’s a dial indicator setup, but what’s the see-saw arrangement all about?

It seems like it’s an upside-down height gauge?

Just got it…. No matter what it is, it’s pretty cool…

Rocky

DBC3239C-1BF5-4F98-ADBF-88EEF85B2439.jpeg

77606AD5-8D4B-4B76-BF13-0A5FC4B1E08A.jpeg

yes, it gives you the means to address more difficult geometries, like inside a hole for example.

Reactions: PIP
It puts the indicator where you can read it and can reach in tight places.

DTI's have largely replaced those old Starrett things. You can swap the dingle poker on a DTI and sneak it in most places.

Make sure it works perfectly before you use it. Indicators are very expensive for a reason. Cheap ones don't work and old ones being sold are often damaged or worn out. An indicator that is even the tiniest bit sticky is junk. Toss it or if it's something specialized, send it out for a rebuild. No sense in wrecking a part (usually something of value) to save a few bucks using sketchy metrology.

I'm speaking from decades of experience here. I have cheaped out on that kind of stuff in the past and made a pile of really pretty scrap metal. My DTI's are all Interapid and Mitutoyo now. Noga makes top quality bases and arms for indicators as well. Very worth it.

Last edited:
The machines although expensive, it’s the metrology and tooling where the moneys invested. I have a Starrett last word like the one posted only it’s on perfect working order.
My newer stuff has much finer resolution.
It looks as if your indicator was damaged.
As to your application question,

0D56D1C1-2207-44DC-8FE6-66890B14C418.jpeg

I sure this indicator is very close to my age but was/is well cared for and reliable.

93797314-9BFB-45DC-A69F-467DF0C074CA.jpeg

Hope this clears up your application question.

The machines although expensive, it’s the metrology and tooling where the moneys invested. I have a Starrett last word like the one posted only it’s on perfect working order.

View attachment 3143757
I sure this indicator is very close to my age but was/is well cared for and reliable.

Work shop has a drawer of all the Starrett analog for same / similar - ours are late 50’s era / most the velvet ‘hair’ has deteriorated but gauge font looks exact same.

Firestopper -

Thanks for the photos - gives me a lot better perspective on how to set this up.

Yes, the cover is damaged, might have been dropped.

Not sure I have much use for it, but it’s really cool, and the price was right…. Free.

It’s good for measurement setup practice, anyway! I’ll play with it on my home lathe…

Thanks…

Rocky

I'd say you could tram a Bridgeport milling machine head with that indicator?

You sure could. Making setups for machinework and keeping machines aligned requires the constant use of various indicators and attachments.

There's a lot of overlap in what you can do with different styles of indicators. Much of the differences are in where the dial face is pointing when the tip is in/on the surface you are measuring, the increment the indicator reads, the size and shape of the tip, the range of travel, etc.

Like when I indicate in a weldment on a HBM I use a 1" travel .001" indicator with a large foot that can glide right over a flame cut surface. But when I tram in the turret on a CNC lathe I use a tenths indicator with a very small travel.

Or when I'm working on certain machines that have adjustment specs in metric I use a metric dial indicator to save all the calculating and trying to guess where a non-even dimension lands between thousandth marks on a dial face.

Just last week the very first expensive indicator I bought was destroyed in an accident, it fell off a machine table. I bought a $400 replacement and sent it off for repair and hope they can fix it for a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom