M2V2 Phone Mount thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So figured it would be better to start it's own thread here instead of clogging up @BenCC 3D Printing thread with back and forth.
For those that don't know, here is the link to the collaboration between @suprarx7nut and @BenCC M2V2 RAM Ball mount in the blank on the right side of the dash bezel opposite the Hazard and Center Diff Lock for our 100s. Here is mine mounted in Alita, my 1998 100 series LC.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Likely, most of us will utilize this mount for navigation and comms in our rigs while on the trail or DD. For me both will be present for Alita so that I have quick and easy access instead of having a dash or windshield mounted arm like the iOttie unit I was previously using. The reason I wanted to get rid of the dash mount was simply because it was a bit in the way, causes slight damage to the dash and a bit of an eye sort to me. While I had one in my 60 when I had her (BeBe) it really is a bit different in the 100, don't ask me why, maybe symmetry or something but just feels "out of place". The solution provided by Ben and SupraRX7Nut is a perfect fix for me, once I get the appropriate attachments.

However, what I am finding is that while the RAM X-Grip phone mount is nice and seem quite stable, I just don't really like it due to the lack of one handed operation. The mechanism is stable and has a firm grip on the phone, but removing the phone is ... well not user-friendly. Add to that the fact that if you don't put the phone in the proper position relative to the upper arms (at least for my iPhone 8) you then end up pressing on the volume or power buttons. Enough vibration and you start setting things off, etc.

So I am seeing what people have and/or may use with this combination. This is for phone mounts that are compatible with 1" RAM Ball mounts. At this point I have found the following...
1. RAM X-Grip ~$27
2. TachForm Enduro Phone Mount ~$30
3. QuadLock Moto Ball Mount ~$30 - $60(for mount and Quadlock Phone case) **note: two different links here**
4. Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze ~$85
5. RAM Quick-Grip ~$21
6. Arkon Mounting systems (multiple version like RoadVice, MegaGrip, etc.) Price varies by model.
7. 67Designs Universal Phone Mount ~$39

Anyone else have any others out there??
For references pic shows the RAM X-grip mounted to a 6" RAM double socket extension arm
I will be sending the extension arm back due to the fact that the adjustment is limited by the attachment to the ball. The way it is oriented in the pic is as far driver as it can go along with as far driver and straight as the X-Grip can go. I will be changing over to the RAM Dual Extension Arm mount. That mount should be here in a few days.

Last edited:
I wonder if this would support an ipad. I need to figure out a way to mount one for maps.
Guess it depends on what size iPad. Honestly it seems REALLY stable in there and have a feeling it would probably support my 2nd Gen iPad Mini.

I wonder if this would support an ipad. I need to figure out a way to mount one for maps.
That is the intent, so it should. Long term testing from a group of users will help prove that out, but it's made to be about as robust as that panel can stand. There's a large brace behind the faceplate to reinforce the carbon fiber plate you see in the pictures.

I ordered this ...

I ordered this ...

Give us a review when you get it installed and have used it.

I have that X Grip phone mount and I really dislike it overall. It is cumbersome to use. More frustrating to me is the design issue that the x grip design is strong enough to depresses the buttons on the side of the phone. It takes 2 hands to place in the cradle and I am constantly having to reposition it after putting it in the cradle. I have another of Ram Mount's offerings that I will be trying out. Here is the link: RAM® Quick-Grip™ XL Phone Holder with Ball

I am also just going all in and I will be doing the same install as Joagmon. It is a permanent install on the dash. It is a track designed for use on a kayak to hold t slot items. This can include the Ram ball mounts. Ram mount

I have #1 and #4 and don't care for either of them, for different reasons. Both secure my phone excellent (Pixel 4 XL). The #4 has a bit of a rattle to it when it isn't holding anything and it drives me nuts. So I figured I'd give #1 a try and while it does hold the phone well and there's no rattle, my meathooks have a hard time getting the phone in/out of it. Like @gungriffin so aptly put it, I find it cumbersome. What they have in common is neither are wireless charge and I'm high maintenance. Plugging the phone in is so 2016. I know there's an option for both to be made into wireless chargers, but I'm lazy and would rather whine than do anything about it.

So I've been using this in the LX: Amazon product ASIN B07MXBDHY5 and believe I could use this to get it to work with the ram mount: Amazon product ASIN B01MZXRSST
I'll order the mount and that adapter up and report back.

Ok thanks for the input guys.
Yeah I agree that while there are some nice things about the X-Grip, it is cumbersome. Like I said in Ben's printing thread, I am used to 1-handed operation and that has really been a deal killer for me. Add in the stupid rubberband thingy to be able to have a SUPER SECURE fit and it is pointless to have it, ESPECIALLY for DD. My little iOttie was awesome for that.

While I like wireless charging, for most headunits today you either Bluetooth connect for streaming music, but to have CarPlay or AndroidAuto most units have to be hardwired. My unit that I have coming is the latter thus the necessary connection. So plugging/unplugging is not a HUGE deal for me.

Since you guys are getting those I guess I will invest in the Quadlock system and report back. Ok QuadLock system has been ordered.

Last edited:

It does. I'll snap pics tomorrow. I installed it last night. iPad Mini in Otter Box case using X-Grip mount. It's only been driven on the road, but it's solid. I'll be going out Saturday on an extended corrugated gravel run to test it out and will report back.

I have used panavise bracket and an iBolt AMPS phone mount in other cars and have been happy.

It never occurred to me to try and mount an iPad there. Pardon me for asking, but what are you guys using that for? Is there a favorite GPS based (no cell signal required) trail mapping software or something?

I have used panavise bracket and an iBolt AMPS phone mount in other cars and have been happy.

It never occurred to me to try and mount an iPad there. Pardon me for asking, but what are you guys using that for? Is there a favorite GPS based (no cell signal required) trail mapping software or something?

I run GAIA on my iPad Mini and love it. I can download maps and layers for offline navigation. Wouldn't dream of leaving home without it. I currently run a "rail" system on my dash with 2 iPad minis (they don't block forward visibility at all) mounted on RAM mounts and a GoPro on a RAM mount as well. My plan is to keep a twin mount in the M2V2 position for my phone a "guest" phone for any passenger.

I like the RAM mounts because of their modularity. I can take one out of the truck when I get to camp and mount it in the rooftop tent (yes, it's loaded with plenty of movies and such). I can also reorg the dash based on needs for the specific trip.

Got it, thanks for the education! Please do post up some pics when you get a chance.

Yeah there is a lot of usage options for attachments between RAM and 67Designs. Both pretty much utilize the same/similar ram ball mount designs so between the two you should be able to figure out all your attachment needs.

I should have the double extension arm tomorrow or Saturday and then got shipping notification of the QuadLock this evening, so early next week I should have everything.

It does. I'll snap pics tomorrow. I installed it last night. iPad Mini in Otter Box case using X-Grip mount. It's only been driven on the road, but it's solid. I'll be going out Saturday on an extended corrugated gravel run to test it out and will report back.

@geanes Please do post photos of your iPad mini in the mount. My M2V2 arrived earlier this week and it was my plan to use it for the same purpose - iPad running Gaia. I'm interested to hear how it works out for you this weekend.

Geanes I would really like to see the rail system that you refer to. I am getting ready to buy everything to do something similar and would appreciate seeing how you put it together on your truck.

Geanes I would really like to see the rail system that you refer to. I am getting ready to buy everything to do something similar and would appreciate seeing how you put it together on your truck.

The "base" of my system is the Yakattack 9" track off Amazon. That is then screwed thru the top of the dash and thru the plastic underlayer. 14 bolts are used to secure it to the dash. The bolts pass thru the hard plastic underlayer and then are secured with fender washers and nylock nuts. The 9" is the perfect width for my 1998 dash. I then have 4 RAM T-slot balls mounted on the track. I've run this setup over some seriously rocky terrain and it ain't budging at all. Super solid setup. Even with 2 iPad Minis oriented landscape, they only obscure my view of the hood. Forward visibility is not impacted at all.

One thing about mounting the devices up on the dash is that in the summer, during the day, the devices can shutdown due to overheating. I addressed it by putting the UV tint on my windscreen. That made a HUGE difference in the hot Texas summer sun. I've been "toying" with the idea of running hard mounted USB plugs in the dash so I don't have cables everywhere and have considered modding a small "hose" coming off one of the air vents to redirect some cool air up and out the dash aimed right at the back of the iPads.

A few people have thought I was crazy drilling 14 small holes in my dash. They would say it destroys the value. I figure the 4.25" hole in the fender and all the other holes for the snorkel took care of that :)

Amazon product ASIN B078PRJR45
E75CF06E-A843-4D29-97B3-0D704914D12B.jpeg

2DCA4930-F7E7-46E0-BA1C-69022F855075.jpeg

Last edited:
The "base" of my system is the Yakattack 9" track off Amazon. That is then screwed thru the top of the dash and thru the plastic underlayer. 14 bolts are used to secure it to the dash. The bolts pass thru the hard plastic underlayer and then are secured with fender washers and nylock nuts. The 9" is the perfect width for my 1998 dash. I then have 4 RAM T-slot balls mounted on the track. I've run this setup over some seriously rocky terrain and it ain't budging at all. Super solid setup. Even with 2 iPad Minis oriented landscape, they only obscure my view of the hood. Forward visibility is not impacted at all.

One thing about mounting the devices up on the dash is that in the summer, during the day, the devices can shutdown due to overheating. I addressed it by putting the UV tint on my windscreen. That made a HUGE difference in the hot Texas summer sun. I've been "toying" with the idea of running hard mounted USB plugs in the dash so I don't have cables everywhere and have considered modding a small "hose" coming off one of the air vents to redirect some cool air up and out the dash aimed right at the back of the iPads.

A few people have thought I was crazy drilling 14 small holes in my dash. They would say it destroys the value. I figure the 4.25" hole in the fender and all the other holes for the snorkel took care of that :)

Amazon product ASIN B078PRJR45
View attachment 2315342

View attachment 2315351
This was really helpful. Thank you for posting up these photos and your explanation. How far back did you mount the track bar from the front of the dash? Would you recommend that measurement after having used it for a while? The other person I have seen mounted it about 3" from the edge and that looks about the same as your truck.

As for drilling the holes, I agree with your thought process. I plan to have this truck a while. With that in mind, I will set it up the way I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom