M2V2 Phone Mount thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how the parts secure the panel into the dash?
I‘m curious how solid the devices are once attached to longer arms.

you can swing by the house or we can meet in town and you can check out the one I have installed. I, too, installed a Quad Lock base on mine. Works well. I personally would be leery of hanging an IPad off of it. My dash trim is not securely locked in place. Looks like PO’s have been in the dash a few times

So on a 2000 LC are you snapping this piece of plastic off to get to the third screw hole there?

16ABAD8E-12CC-4FF2-9ED1-3A8D58353A2F.jpeg

So on a 2000 LC are you snapping this piece of plastic off to get to the third screw hole there?

View attachment 2491044
My 01 LX is exactly like this. I opted not to try and modify/mount anything there. Seems fine after a month of use holding a phablet.

My 01 LX is exactly like this. I opted not to try and modify/mount anything there. Seems fine after a month of use holding a phablet.

I would do that however the rear section of the mount doesn’t sit completely flush that way,

I can’t find any instructions or anything online. I hate to guess before cutting something out, the third screw hole is there under there though.

I'd argue that sitting flush doesn't affect functionality however. They are rigid pieces.

Maybe a redesign for this issue could be warranted in the future, but for now I can vouch the intended functionality isn't compromised (coming from a guy who has designed and built mil-spec lasers that hang out of rotary-powered machines).

I can’t recommend this product enough for mounting your phone!

Ive been using X-Grips and RAM 1” hardware for years in my Tacoma and a PanaVice mount in the LC because that’s what the previous owner had.

Just a couple notes,

You need a small hand hack-saw, (or way to cut plastic)
3mm Allen wrench or adapter
T-8 Torx bit.

After you trim the small plastic piece that covers your 3rd screw hole, you can use the T-8 to install the three small T8 screws. They are counter sunk beautifully. Two of them have alignment tabs, just a genius design!

After that the (2) 3mm Allan screws will mount your RAM ball and sand-which it all together.

I chose to try the QuadLock, glad I did!

Thanks for a great product!

I am using a 4” RAM arm, the one that works with RAMs 1” balls abs the phone is a 6S plus.

F62B2242-C05C-4EE4-B530-8375B628F01C.jpeg

10156C0D-D8AB-4A0F-AFE1-647860C8DE95.jpeg

ED16369B-AC20-486F-A81E-6D935888B6D6.jpeg

C6C532F8-B57B-4FA3-B1B1-CB7D1F8CC980.jpeg

05C4BA8E-B07D-402D-B4DB-76DF883BA950.jpg

I can’t recommend this product enough for mounting your phone!

Ive been using X-Grips and RAM 1” hardware for years in my Tacoma and a PanaVice mount in the LC because that’s what the previous owner had.

Just a couple notes,

You need a small hand hack-saw, (or way to cut plastic)
3mm Allen wrench or adapter
T-8 Torx bit.

After you trim the small plastic piece that covers your 3rd screw hole, you can use the T-8 to install the three small T8 screws. They are counter sunk beautifully. Two of them have alignment tabs, just a genius design!

After that the (2) 3mm Allan screws will mount your RAM ball and sand-which it all together.

I chose to try the QuadLock, glad I did!

Thanks for a great product!

I am using a 4” RAM arm, the one that works with RAMs 1” balls abs the phone is a 6S plus.

View attachment 2494717

View attachment 2494718

View attachment 2494719

View attachment 2494721

View attachment 2494725
Awesome, thanks for sharing the install tips and for showing off some installed pics!

Would love to see a video of this install somewhere.

No video, but some extra pics that might be helpful. 2000 LX in my case.

Here's the backside of the main panel where the mount should sit with the small filler panel removed:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18e7.jpg

Backing plate won't sit flush due to that square tubular bit in the top right of the pic
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18ef.jpg

Post-dremel wheel surgery, screw hole nicely exposed
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18f0.jpg

Now it fits in nicely
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18e9.jpg

All bolted up
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18e6.jpg

Yup... just a few clips around it... Think there are three on the top and two on each side. I find it easier to start at the top on a corner then slide to the middle then go around one side then the other.

Yup. A plastic trim tool makes it cake, but any non marring thin object will work. Then disconnect the wiring plugs in the back and take to your favorite workbench.

After growing weary of some of the X-Grip flaws, I’ve temporarily swapped it out for a Slip Grip Kydex mount.

Advantages of the X-Grip:
  • Somewhat universal, phone model and case don’t matter (within reason).
  • Aesthetically pleasing w/ or w/o phone.
  • Holds the phone securely.

Disadvantages of the X-Grip:
  • Two handed operation.
  • Tends to press side buttons.

Advantages of Slip Grip:
  • Holds phone securely.
  • Doesn’t press side buttons.
  • One handed operation.

Disadvantages of Slip Grip:
  • Limited to specific phone & case
  • Not really beautiful w/o phone mounted

3FD3D7B0-EAA6-4E94-8BDC-E7F12A28C72E.jpeg

6B6BCD49-A57E-4A1A-9A39-9DE4A70E19E2.jpeg

2D3B1856-4148-4747-8BC6-566292AC46E0.jpeg

Good to see that so many people are posting up with their experiences with different phone mounts.

I am still running my quadlock (now on an iPhone 11Pro) and still loving it. Have been on some heavy wheeling trips and this thing is solid as a rock! Love the angle that it sits at for accessibility but still being out of the way when reaching for other buttons and functions on the dash.

@jLB - I too have grown tired of my x-grips. I’ve got 2 for sale. I stuck with the brand but moved to the one-handed quick grip.

Edit: added pic of Ram Quick Grip from my 80.

7B865B69-FA23-4E2C-9324-DAB6B931C603.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Been eyeing this for the new iPhones with MagSafe. Mounts to a standard AMPS plate. Wonder if it would be strong enough off road. I’m thinking it would be with the phone naked but a case may hinder the magnets just enough. Could use the Apple MagSafe case too I suppose...

I just installed mine tonight, and pretty darned pleased with it....

It seems that I've got the same X-Grip mount as everyone else. It seems to hold my phones fine, but it is a little fiddly two handed procedure.

Either I'm brilliant, or an idiot, but I liked the arm pointed down, where everyone else seems to have it pointed up...

Then again it is kind of warm where I am, and I don't want anything blocking my air flow!

View attachment 2316060
View attachment 2316061
How did you mount your ScanGuage to the coin drawer?

How did you mount your ScanGuage to the coin drawer?
@CruiserGarage 's ash tray ScanGauge mount:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom