M2kinc.com alternator. YES I GOT ONE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Great customer service from these guys. They offer "bolt on" alternator solutions. Specific to 1hz and 1hd-t

I got myself the 390A version and this thing is huge an heavy. "Bolt on" is in quotes because the alternator mostly bolts in. I had to modify the adjuster bracket and grind off 1.5inches from the bottom. I also required to use one size up on the fan belts and upgrade the cable that goes to the battery.

image-676858428.jpg

image-1556742974.jpg

image-3824018253.jpg

image-3882468293.jpg

What on earth do you need a 390A alternator for???

Because that thing is truly awesome!!!! Whatd you pay for it?

I have lots of electric goodies. 3 deep cycle batteries. Plus I do not have to worry about running my batteries dead while winching.

It cost plus shipping to canada under $1400 cad after conversion

:eek::eek::eek: Geezus. I guess you could run a small house off it though.... cool

Or a welder, for that money, running a trail welder every weekend would be about the only reason i could justify that expense. Looks shiny though, I almost wonder if at full 390A draw if it would get the belt squealing as that's alot of power.

Would be cheaper to install a second alternator and have the two of them rebuilt.

Edit: i see they also have 250 amp options, but don't list pricing on their website for everything.

I'd say a 390A ( times 15volts, that's roughly 6 Kilowatts output) would slip those belts fairly easy, most 200A+ alternators I've dealt with will slip two belts with out to much encouragement needed.

With that high of an output I thought it would be gear driven ...sheesh.

I'd say a 390A ( times 15volts, that's roughly 6 Kilowatts output) would slip those belts fairly easy, most 200A+ alternators I've dealt with will slip two belts with out to much encouragement needed.

Thats what I was thinking, perhaps a double belt scenario would help.

Maybe this thing has good output at low rev's.

Could always go for bigger pulley on alternator end to improve the belt life... That beast probaply pushes enough current even on half the normal revs...

Generally speaking 100A output is about the point that manufactures change over to a twin belt setup, So I'm guessing as a rough rule of thumb that a single belt can handle a bit over 100A load (obviously there are a lot of other factors involved but).

I guess the saving grace is that it will rarely ever draw anything near 390A, even a big electric winch will only draw about 5Kw max (12V X 400A = 4800w = 4.8Kw), and you'll also be drawing from a battery while winching so you probably won't even really need to max it out winching.

I apologies in advance if it seems like I'm trying to give the original poster an ear bashing over this, that's not my intent. People on forums looking for advice/guidance/ideas have a habit of falling into the bigger is better trap, when it comes to alternators and electrical systems generally the bigger is better rules doesn't apply. Unlike engine power or something similar there isn't an advantage to overkill in an electrical system, the extra capacity just goes unused, you only need to balance your system requirements otherwise it is dollars spent for no gain.

Generally speaking 100A output is about the point that manufactures change over to a twin belt setup, So I'm guessing as a rough rule of thumb that a single belt can handle a bit over 100A load (obviously there are a lot of other factors involved but).

I guess the saving grace is that it will rarely ever draw anything near 390A, even a big electric winch will only draw about 5Kw max (12V X 400A = 4800w = 4.8Kw), and you'll also be drawing from a battery while winching so you probably won't even really need to max it out winching.

I apologies in advance if it seems like I'm trying to give the original poster an ear bashing over this, that's not my intent. People on forums looking for advice/guidance/ideas have a habit of falling into the bigger is better trap, when it comes to alternators and electrical systems generally the bigger is better rules doesn't apply. Unlike engine power or something similar there isn't an advantage to overkill in an electrical system, the extra capacity just goes unused, you only need to balance your system requirements otherwise it is dollars spent for no gain.

Yeah, but rated winch load is pretty much maximum at its rated capacity, most of the time your using much less, it's hard to quantify how much, but on average he may be using 5% of that while letting the cable in or out, and only 50-80% during the harder parts of winching.

Just wanted to do a little update for anyone that plans to upgrade there alternator to one of these M2k.inc alternators. The direct bolt on is achieved by using this alternator adjuster bracket toyota part #16381-17020. -(this one works and I have tested it). you can also run the original sized belts!!!

the original bracket toyota part # 16381-17010 needs to be ground down due to the different arch in the bracket.

Any chance you have any info on the efficiency of running the alternator at idle at ~220A versus an original or similar alternator? I mean, is it using more engine power to turn when charging under normal conditions? I am just starting my research on bigger alternators but if the power consumed by simply using the alternator is significant, then I want to make sure and be as careful as possible about my size but at the same time going over what I need by at least a little. I am concerned about changes in my fuel mileage even if it is relatively insignificant. Wow, just realized this is a really old thread.

Great customer service from these guys. They offer "bolt on" alternator solutions. Specific to 1hz and 1hd-t

I got myself the 390A version and this thing is huge an heavy. "Bolt on" is in quotes because the alternator mostly bolts in. I had to modify the adjuster bracket and grind off 1.5inches from the bottom. I also required to use one size up on the fan belts and upgrade the cable that goes to the battery.

View attachment 830917

View attachment 830918

View attachment 830920

View attachment 830922
I know this was a very old post, but I am trying to install a very similar M2K alternator (270 amp) which they swear should fit, but doesn't -- the round machined front hits the adjusting bracket. I would love to know what modification were made to the factory bracket and where the 1-1/2/ inches were cut from the bottom of -- the bracket? the alternator? Will try to get th eothe rbracket mentioned.

Thanks

I know this was a very old post, but I am trying to install a very similar M2K alternator (270 amp) which they swear should fit, but doesn't -- the round machined front hits the adjusting bracket. I would love to know what modification were made to the factory bracket and where the 1-1/2/ inches were cut from the bottom of -- the bracket? the alternator? Will try to get th eothe rbracket mentioned.

Thanks
Forgot to mention thsi is on a '97 80-series.

Forgot to mention thsi is on a '97 80-series.
97 80-series what engine?

on mine this is what i have done to achieve the direct bolt on see post #13

I didn't realize until now that you have a very different engine. Mine is gasoline 1FZ-FE, so the brackets are totally different. But what did you mean by cutting of 1.5" in your install with the original bracket? From the bracket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom