LX570 Suspension Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm very excited to have finally acquired a LX 570 and to be back in an SUV (missed my old Toyota 4runner from many years ago). I bought my LX about 3 months ago (2009 with 145k miles and serviced exclusively at my local Lexus dealer) and it has been great thus far, with one significant disappointment. The suspension (AHC?) seems to adjust itself fairly frequently at stop signs, in driveways, etc. and I truly hate the feeling of the adjustment. Furthermore, it seems to take some time to adjust itself back to level, which sometimes leaves the truck looking somewhat uneven (with the driver's side being a bit lower than passenger side both front and back). Couple of questions: (1) Is there some way to disable the AHC such that it just stays in a static position in all 3 modes (L/N/H)? (2) I would like the "neutral height" to be an inch or two higher to give the truck a bit of a lift (I already added BFG AT KO2 tires in 275/60/20 - thoughts on how to achieve this?

I'm hoping this is doable without having to replace the suspension or going through anything too costly, so any budget friendly tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Houston if that matters (maybe local shops that have experience with this).

Thanks to all in advance and I'm excited to be part of this community.

The leveling behavior you describe is "normal". However the lean is not, you can adjust that with your sensors and techstream. If you haven't already, an AHC fluid flush will help the cycling speed. At 145K, you may need new accumulators (globes) as well.

Many things to say here:
1) ahc is amazing (and your friend).
2) you’ll learn more on here than dealers and most shops (even if they don’t admit it). They simply don’t see enough of it to spend time on it.
3) the adjusting is self leveling... it’s always happening. The AHC system is also responsible for the sport/normal/comfort dampening.
4) I would suspect that the fluid has never been changed.
5)lifting IFS won’t allow for bigger tires, but you can adjust the sensors to get your extra 1” you asked about for looks. You may need to move some liners and shape the mud flaps to make them fit.
6) hit me up for moral support. I can swing by and give you some pointers, but I have too many kids to dedicate hours on wrenching.
About to walk into a meeting, will add more to this post later.

Many things to say here:
1) ahc is amazing (and your friend).
2) you’ll learn more on here than dealers and most shops (even if they don’t admit it). They simply don’t see enough of it to spend time on it.
3) the adjusting is self leveling... it’s always happening. The AHC system is also responsible for the sport/normal/comfort dampening.
4) I would suspect that the fluid has never been changed.
5)lifting IFS won’t allow for bigger tires, but you can adjust the sensors to get your extra 1” you asked about for looks. You may need to move some liners and shape the mud flaps to make them fit.
6) hit me up for moral support. I can swing by and give you some pointers, but I have too many kids to dedicate hours on wrenching.
About to walk into a meeting, will add more to this post later.

Radman - Many thanks for your thoughtful response. I also have too many kids to wrench, but I'd love to swing by your place (or vice versa) to talk through what work I can do (or have a shop do) to achieve the above results. Also, understand if you are too busy with work / kids at the moment. Thanks so much.

I would start be browsing a few of these threads to get an idea of AHC capabilities. Keep asking questions, and I'll PM you my number in case you want to talk in person.

Yep. Take a deep breath, find your moment of Zen.

AHC is amazing, and all of its secrets are well documented here by an amazing community willing to push the limits with what can be done.

If you can DIY, or find a good Indy, even the most catastrophic failures are not that big of a deal. FWIW I’ve done two fluid changes, paid to have shocks replaced, and am about to do accumulators and I’m still in for less than $2k. That’s cheaper than a basic mono tube shock based lift kit.

Yep. Take a deep breath, find your moment of Zen.

AHC is amazing, and all of its secrets are well documented here by an amazing community willing to push the limits with what can be done.

If you can DIY, or find a good Indy, even the most catastrophic failures are not that big of a deal. FWIW I’ve done two fluid changes, paid to have shocks replaced, and am about to do accumulators and I’m still in for less than $2k. That’s cheaper than a basic mono tube shock based lift kit.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I actually just met up with Radman, who not only has an amazing truck but is also a great guy and source of information. We were able to quickly sort out an issue and have a plan to get it to where I'm happy with the set-up. Great community here!

Welcome to the LX club. Post some pictures in the official-lx570s-picture-thread when you get a chance and enjoy all the eye candy and inspiration.

Freaking radman couldn’t find his Techstream cable, so we were forced to sensor lift like cavemen.
next step is to check the offset values and see how high she will really fly. then, need to flush that fluid.

What kind of symptoms are you guys seeing when your globes need replacing?

For me it was pretty drastic reduction in ride quality - extra hard hits on bumps, and also some floaty-ness (especially after bumper). Once the globes go, you have very little dampening. AHC fluid doesn't compress.

For me it was pretty drastic reduction in ride quality - extra hard hits on bumps, and also some floaty-ness (especially after bumper). Once the globes go, you have very little dampening. AHC fluid doesn't compress.
That's helpful and, thankfully, I do not have any of those symptoms in my LX. Just frequent adjustments (which I learned was "normal") and one side that was riding a bit low (radman fixed that with his eyes closed and one arm behind his back though).

Changing the ahc fluid was one of the first things I did when I got my LX. It’s a very noticeable difference in ride quality and speed of leveling. Fwiw, it does still annoy me when it levels after being at speed.

Freaking radman couldn’t find his Techstream cable, so we were forced to sensor lift like cavemen.
next step is to check the offset values and see how high she will really fly. then, need to flush that fluid.

General lack of damping. Hard to describe, but Too much bouncy Is the gist of it.
i am also beginning to suspect my rear end bushings need replaced. I’m sure it hasn’t been done and I’m at 227k and getting a loose feeling from back there.
sadly I’m not a suspension expert and have no special suspension tools for the compressing and pressing activities

General lack of damping. Hard to describe, but Too much bouncy Is the gist of it.
i am also beginning to suspect my rear end bushings need replaced. I’m sure it hasn’t been done and I’m at 227k and getting a loose feeling from back there.
sadly I’m not a suspension expert and have no special suspension tools for the compressing and pressing activities

If it makes you feel better you can’t buy the bushings from Toyota - they just sell the arms.

If it makes you feel better you can’t buy the bushings from Toyota - they just sell the arms.
Just reread your r&r thread for the rear and thinking about it.

I'm very excited to have finally acquired a LX 570 and to be back in an SUV (missed my old Toyota 4runner from many years ago). I bought my LX about 3 months ago (2009 with 145k miles and serviced exclusively at my local Lexus dealer) and it has been great thus far, with one significant disappointment. The suspension (AHC?) seems to adjust itself fairly frequently at stop signs, in driveways, etc. and I truly hate the feeling of the adjustment. Furthermore, it seems to take some time to adjust itself back to level, which sometimes leaves the truck looking somewhat uneven (with the driver's side being a bit lower than passenger side both front and back). Couple of questions: (1) Is there some way to disable the AHC such that it just stays in a static position in all 3 modes (L/N/H)? (2) I would like the "neutral height" to be an inch or two higher to give the truck a bit of a lift (I already added BFG AT KO2 tires in 275/60/20 - thoughts on how to achieve this?

I'm hoping this is doable without having to replace the suspension or going through anything too costly, so any budget friendly tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Houston if that matters (maybe local shops that have experience with this).

Thanks to all in advance and I'm excited to be part of this community.
That's helpful and, thankfully, I do not have any of those symptoms in my LX. Just frequent adjustments (which I learned was "normal") and one side that was riding a bit low (radman fixed that with his eyes closed and one arm behind his back though).
Reviving this thread and looking for some insights. I echo the all above points, as this community is a source of knowledge and inspiration.

I joined the community last year, and the journey has been amzing.

I purchased a one owner 2010 LX570, w136k with full service history. I am the second owner. Since purchase I have performed:
- Replaced AHC center unit, and suspension control pump accumulator assembly (thank you @grinchy ); and AHC fluid flush;
- No sensor lift;
- Method Racing 17x8.5 +35 with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s;

The rig is magical and transformed.

Put on 10k in city and highway driving.

I drive in Comfort Mode - and do date able to manually raise and lower the suspension to L and H. Today, I experience the same as above: that is I will park in N, and upon start up it will drop to L, and then upon reaching 8mph will shift into N. It did not do this previously.
Also, I can no longer manually raise or lower the suspension while in Comfort Mode. I can raise and lower the suspension, if I switch the suspension setting to Normal from Comfort. I pressed and depressed the left of steering wheel switch (accommodate passenger entry and exit) but it has not changed. This is new to me - has not happened before.

Another question while on the topic: at what mileage is the recommended globe/accumulator replacement?

Many thanks again.

Reviving this thread and looking for some insights. I echo the all above points, as this community is a source of knowledge and inspiration.

I joined the community last year, and the journey has been amzing.

I purchased a one owner 2010 LX570, w136k with full service history. I am the second owner. Since purchase I have performed:
- Replaced AHC center unit, and suspension control pump accumulator assembly (thank you @grinchy ); and AHC fluid flush;
- No sensor lift;
- Method Racing 17x8.5 +35 with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s;

The rig is magical and transformed.

Put on 10k in city and highway driving.

I drive in Comfort Mode - and do date able to manually raise and lower the suspension to L and H. Today, I experience the same as above: that is I will park in N, and upon start up it will drop to L, and then upon reaching 8mph will shift into N. It did not do this previously.
Also, I can no longer manually raise or lower the suspension while in Comfort Mode. I can raise and lower the suspension, if I switch the suspension setting to Normal from Comfort. I pressed and depressed the left of steering wheel switch (accommodate passenger entry and exit) but it has not changed. This is new to me - has not happened before.

Another question while on the topic: at what mileage is the recommended globe/accumulator replacement?

Many thanks again.
Did you spill anything on the switch? Kind of sounds like it’s stuck in the down position. When you slow down or come to a stop sign, does it attempt to lower again?

Did you spill anything on the switch? Kind of sounds like it’s stuck in the down position. When you slow down or come to a stop sign, does it attempt to lower again?
No. I haven't spilled anything.
No; it hasn't so far. But just this evening for the first time when I did stop it lowered. Again when in Comfort setting. And again went back up when I reached 8mph.

One item of note is that I have been parking on my driveway at about 20degree angle rig facing forward drooped because my driveway has a slope and level. Would this have played any role?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom