Lx570 Rear Suspension Rebuild [Guide] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump for updates on the front-end rebuild. What's the word, OP?
I’ll finish up the write up and post! Front end was so much easier except for the UCA torque!

That shock shaft is huge, did you measure it?
Unfortunately, like a moron, I threw it away. Really should have taken measurements and measured stroke. Gonna have to find a junkyard one to take apart

I have a new set in my shed. Planning to replace when I add spacers to front and rear and replace globes. I can measure those things real quick on the new ones I guess.

Last edited:
Eyeballing the shaft, that looks larger than 1". That's like Kings 4.0 diameters. The idea is similar in that it's to displace as much hydraulic fluid as possible, to increase a shocks damping sensitivity and damping force. IIRC, with the AHC rear shock, the damping elements are all remote, so maybe it's pushing even more fluid. As AHC is to provide damping and support, makes sense it needs to displace lots of fluid.

Been brainstorming how to increase suspension stroke in the rear to get a long travel function while maintaining. That may ultimately be AHCs limitation as the aftermarket has more long travel solutions.

Wonder if a machine shop could machine a longer shaft and a competent welder just tig an extension onto the main body. Would the valving be impacted by additional volume? I wouldn’t think so?

OP, do you know off hand the thickness of the OEM coil spacer? Thanks!

Not off the top of my head but I’ll measure it tomorrow for you - guesstimate as I sit here is around 10-12mm

Very nice detail on all the parts and work involved. Now you have me thinking I need to go check all my bushings and parts to see what needs some love.

Glad this resource is here.

This question is for anyone

Would it make sense to replace the shock bushing but not the shock? Partsorq is out of one of the coils at the moment so I was going to skip the coil/shocks and (pay someone else to) do all the other items in addition to replacing globes and fluid.

I'm at 210k and I would be thrilled if I could get this driving like new. The way it rides now I just drive the 80.

thank you

Would it make sense to replace the shock bushing but not the shock? Partsorq is out of one of the coils at the moment so I was going to skip the coil/shocks and (pay someone else to) do all the other items in addition to replacing globes and fluid.

I'm at 210k and I would be thrilled if I could get this driving like new. The way it rides now I just drive the 80.

thank you

While the shocks are just large voids, the only concern I’d have is the o-rings that seal inside breaking down over time with heat/use. With the amount of work necessary to get to the bushings, I’d wait rather than disassemble to do a bushing knowing that at 210k, they’re ready for a refresh

thank you
I assume you are on an LX570 w/ AHC? If the shocks are not leaking, you can leave them alone. I would concentrate on new globes/accumulators and fresh fluid first. Replacing those and flushing fresh fluid into the system will make a huge difference on most LX's. There's a great thread with tons of good info from people who have tackled the globe replacement: LX570 AHC Globe/Accumulator Replacement - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx570-ahc-globe-accumulator-replacement.1193703/

@nwfl4runner Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I came across your post after inquiring how to replace the "rubber donuts" which I thought were bump stops, but learned they are sway bar bushings. This should tell you I have zero experience in this area. Yet, after reading your post a few times, I somehow feel that I can tackle this project in my driveway with my Harbor Freight tools (does it matter that I have some of the Pittsburgh Pro ones?) and my menagerie of different garage sale finds, a few craftsman and a few husky tools. No Ugga Dugga, but some proper torque bars. So, adding the parts to my shopping cart and thinking I need to treat myself to some proper tools if I'm going to tackle it. Yeah, I've been told I'm crazy. 😇.

Anyone have a parts list for the front?

This all started when I noticed the rubber donuts were cracked, when I was thinking of replacing the globes and bleeding the AHC fluid.

Picture of the rubber donut

PXL_20220810_032916076.jpg

You got it man - it's a tedious job, but as long as you have the right tools in advance it'll go quickly! I'll dig up the front list from when I did the swap, but that ones a lot easier. If investing in a few tools, for this job I'd recommend a high quality 22/24mm offset box and an extra long 17/19mm box end wrench. Those 2 get a lot of use on this job.

If you're doing the whole thing at once it makes for an easier time as you can break everything down, and reassemble piece by piece, instead of forcing stuff in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom