Lx570/200 to Mercedes G (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always thought the G was just so eye-rolling because the rare chance I saw one, it was decked out in rims and bling, or had some lady with warpaint jawing on the phone and driving like a clown, or both. Earlier this year I started seeing one parked at the gym that had KO2s, Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever stickers, and some appropriately appointed overlanding upgrades and it changed my mind 100%. It was understated as best as a G-wagen can be, and looked the part of it's original design. My impression though is that it's a great third car for that type of use, whereas a 200 can be used for the off-road, hunting, overlanding, and will get you to work without any sideways looks.

As was mentioned earlier, I think the novelty would wear off for me after my first visit to MB service. Now if that isn't even an rounding error in your accounting, I can really see the appeal.

My brother has a 2018 G550, he bought with 10K miles on it. He has had it for about a year now. Very economical since he spends most of the time driving e-class (loaner). I lost count how many times the car has been in the shop, it never left him stranded but always minor stuff coming up. Having said that, I admire G-series from capability perspective and cool factor, but would never own one, well maybe if I can import a diesel version one day. If you want 200- platform go for Infinity (imported pilot) or hold out for the new version.

I daily drive a g63. Its awful...but I love it.
Girlfriend has a LX 570. Better car in everyway for everyday driver however it isn't a G.

Sounds like we have/had a similar situation. We sold my wife's E class and bought her a G55. I kept my 200.

The G55 is outstanding! It is totally different in every way so I don't know how you could compare the two.

Everything I like about the 200, the G has none of. Everything I like about the G, the 200 has none of. I love driving the G around town/short trips. I think someone posted earlier about how "rough" the ride was. They are 100% correct but that's what make the G so much fun. I'm so much more engaged when driving boring surface streets. It's the same feeling I get when off-roading in the 200.

We won't take the G on long trips or off-roading (my wife would kill me if I so much as scratched it). I don't want to feel every bump on a 6+ hour drive.

Long story long, have them both. I think they are the perfect compliment to each other. In fact, my wife and I have said these will probably be the last two "makes" off SUV's we'll ever buy.

I tried to talk my wife into the G Squared and was immediately shut down by both her and my accountant. I wouldn't mind picking up a totaled one and pulling the portal axles off of it for a future project. You can get them from Mercedes but they are $72k new for F&R o_O.
Haha $72k for just the portals, makes $100k more than the “base” G seem reasonable for the squared. I don’t think I could ever justify one given how HUGE they are! Have you seen one in person? Look almost as big as a Oshkosh JLTV.

Sounds like we have/had a similar situation. We sold my wife's E class and bought her a G55. I kept my 200.

The G55 is outstanding! It is totally different in every way so I don't know how you could compare the two.

Everything I like about the 200, the G has none of. Everything I like about the G, the 200 has none of. I love driving the G around town/short trips. I think someone posted earlier about how "rough" the ride was. They are 100% correct but that's what make the G so much fun. I'm so much more engaged when driving boring surface streets. It's the same feeling I get when off-roading in the 200.

We won't take the G on long trips or off-roading (my wife would kill me if I so much as scratched it). I don't want to feel every bump on a 6+ hour drive.

Long story long, have them both. I think they are the perfect compliment to each other. In fact, my wife and I have said these will probably be the last two "makes" off SUV's we'll ever buy.
Uuuugh. Why in the world would you buy a G if you weren’t going to use it’s capacity?

Uuuugh. Why in the world would you buy a G if you weren’t going to use it’s capacity?
[/QUOTE]

Simple. Happy wife = happy life ;)

I worked for Mercedes and drove the 550, G63, and ONE TIME G65..... other then them having TONS of power, they are expensive vehicle to own and maintenance. Status is also nice as its a $150K , $187k or $225K......but dependability is out the window. Comparing the 2 is night and day. I'd say stick with a 200, but if your in love with a G-wagon, get it... because the 1st time something goes wrong on the 200, you'll regret not getting the G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom