Lx470 vs GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd love to understand on what aspects it's better off road on most merits.

Lighter, shorter wheel base, coil spring front means more wheel travel, long travel options are available. More suspension options to choose from, high speed travel and more technical offroading, I'd choose the GX. KDSS is available too in the GX. There are some sweet pre-fabbed setups out there to get a GX able to bomb down desert roads and whoops at 80-100mph. Can't get an LX to do that with just control arms and a shock package. Pretty easy on a GX to get 15 inches of front wheel travel with just LCAs and coilovers whereas you're maxed out at 7.5 inches of wheel travel on the 100 series even with after market control arms. Thanks torsion bars!

Sure the LX is more stout and beefy but that's like comparing a Ram 2500 to a Wrangler. Different merits. However, where the 100 outshines the 150 is long-haul, heavily weighed, and fully loaded travel such as full armor, drawers, winch, rack, aux fuel and water tanks + jerrys, two spares.

Last edited:
I love my wife’s GX460. I put my surfboards on top and the rear door works amazing. Because you don’t have to worry about the door hitting boards or any thing you put on top, since it opens sideways.

Me either. Sounds like you need to switch to a fish or an egg ;)

Lighter, shorter wheel base, coil spring front means more wheel travel, long travel options are available. More suspension options to choose from, high speed travel and more technical offroading, I'd choose the GX.

Sure the LX is more stout and beefy but that's like comparing a Ram 2500 to a Wrangler. Different merits. However, where the 100 outshines the 150 is long-haul, heavily weighed, and fully loaded travel.

Agreed. The GX front end is superior offroad!

2006 LX470 MSRP: $67,395
2006 GX470 MSRP: $46,635

The LX was the flagship. Most everything was a little bigger and in some cases, a little nicer. Driving an LX and a GX is a different experience, IMO. The GX is nice, but the LX is like captaining a yacht.

Can I say sth. like this, for a lx470, we have to pay 50% more of the price of gx470, but only get 5% a little nicer. :)

Why not both? Oh and throw in the LS with the fancy $1000/corner suspension as well....

3times_v8.jpg

When GX is better than LX:
  • Same engine lower weight means GX is nimbler and slightly more fuel efficient.
  • Smaller size also means you can fit it more places.
  • Larger sales number means you can find more of them for a little less.
  • Front suspension design is objectively better with coil overs - which makes them more rewarding to modify
  • Torsen type center diffs do better than LX open center diff - until locked, then they are equal
  • Rear door swings sideways (wrong way for the US/Canada folks) - That lets you load longer stuff on the roof that can hang out the back of the truck!
  • If you find a KDSS version, it does a pretty good job of pushing the wheels in to the ground so you do a little less 3-wheeling in some situations
  • A lot more aftermarket support, especially for the overlanding type of modifications
  • Rear seat has more legroom than LX (I don't really know how but is seems to!)
  • May be some parts would be cheaper (if there is some overlap with the 4Runner) not entirely sure on that!
Where LX outshines GX
  • Hydraulic suspension (AHC) has far superior ride on the road and better clearance off the road. It is fairly reliable and replacement components aren't that expensive (certainly not $1000 a corner like someone here claimed o_O)
  • The rear hatch design is the best you can get, tailgate and upper hatch makes a lot of sense for daily use and trail use
  • A lot of drivetrain components are much beefier than GX. For example LX has a 9.5" rear diff vs 8" on GX. Steering components like tie-rods etc are much bigger on LX
  • Subjectively LX looks better than the awkward looking GX
  • LX is a lot more exclusive - if you prefer that kind of thing
  • It is wider making it roomier inside - easier to fit three adults in the second row or 3 car seats
  • With third row folded out (or removed) LX has more space than GX

.....And an LX doesn’t want to be GX when it grows up.

You got 5 lx, 1 lc, that's a lot and must be a lot of fun.

Rides for the entire fam. We bought our first LC in 1996 then, after earnest prayer and when the deal was right, we would get another one. Then just kept passing them down to four kids as they became of age. Still have six of the 11 we've owned. Can't afford to buy any other brand of vehicle.

I have both, a 08 GX and a 00 LX. The GX is way more fun to drive. Quicker, sportier and more nimble. The LX is more comfortable, better cargo capacity and better suspension (AHC). Overall I prefer the LX. But I will say I much prefer the barn door of the GX(apparently I'm a weirdo).

Rides for the entire fam. We bought our first LC in 1996 then, after earnest prayer and when the deal was right, we would get another one. Then just kept passing them down to four kids as they became of age. Still have six of the 11 we've owned. Can't afford to buy any other brand of vehicle.
very inspiring story, we should all get one lx/lc

Lighter and more nimble. Same goes for the 4Runners. My buddy’s 97 bone stock 4Runner just walks a similarly equipped hundy. Stock bumpers are steel and higher clearance, lighter weight truck. We still agree the hundy is overall the platform that does it all well but if mainly off-roading is your thing then you want something smaller than a 100/200 series. 80s are an exception since they have them solid axles.

Idk man.

@hickuptruck

After watching this vid how the 100 series just effortlessly climbs an incline while the GX has to power up in multiple tries.. maybe heavier keeps the weight down, maybe the wider stance and wider tires give it better traction, what do you think?

watch 2:30 to 3:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom