Lx470 vs GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because it’s bigger and better, duh. Only thing a GX has the upper hand on a 100 series is the front suspension design...and maybe the Torsen center diff.

Not sure but GX is a fantastic vehicle and arguably better offroad if you really care about that part of it. The rear air suspension is not expensive to replace once it fails either, not like the LS air suspension which costs $1,000+ per shock.

Manufacturers have been using different model names to sell completely different cars for completely different prices for a while now.

The used market must have finally caught up to this sly trickery. Sneaky devils.

The rear air suspension is not expensive to replace once it fails either, not like the LS air suspension which costs $1,000+ per shock.

You mind running that by me one more time? LS? $1000/ shock?

Same age and mileage, why LX470 is much more expensive than gx470?

2006 LX470 MSRP: $67,395
2006 GX470 MSRP: $46,635

The LX was the flagship. Most everything was a little bigger and in some cases, a little nicer. Driving an LX and a GX is a different experience, IMO. The GX is nice, but the LX is like captaining a yacht.

I think he's talking about the LS460/LS600. $1000/shock indeed. MSRP of those was/is $70-120k though, so a $1000 shock makes some sense. I bet it rides like a cloud.

LX looks beautiful, GX looks like a shoe

Both are reliable and capable, so if you've got low standards and would date an ugly chick that'll treat you good, nothing wrong with a GX.

Last edited:

LS430 UL. Front and rear shocks both run over a grand each. Only reason I went with the non-UL model.

I want to build a GX 470 or 460 for my next build but the rear barn door SUCKS. I'll deal with it though, the LC has the master rear hatch door design.

I want to build a GX 470 or 460 for my next build but the rear barn door SUCKS. I'll deal with it though, the LC has the master rear hatch door design.
I have thought to myself multiple times, "Hey, my friend's GX is pretty cool!" Opens rear door. "Oh, hell no, that's garbage."

If you can get past the rear door, the GX is pretty cool. That door though... eek. The Land Cruiser split door really spoils you.

GXs are pretty sweet. Better off-road on most merits. More nimble.

But the LX is the flagship.

I have thought to myself multiple times, "Hey, my friend's GX is pretty cool!" Opens rear door. "Oh, hell no, that's garbage."

If you can get past the rear door, the GX is pretty cool. That door though... eek. The Land Cruiser split door really spoils you.

Even my 4th gen 4Runner back hatch is horsesh*t. You open it up and stuff just falls out because the cargo area is ramped higher. Right when this COVID thing kicked off I went to Home Depot with some propane tanks to exchange them and opened up the rear hatch and had a propane tank flip and lane with the thin handle directly on my big toe breaking it in 3 places. Going to an urgent care then sucked. So yeah I hate pretty much every rear hatch door except the LC.

Why LX?

33" tires fit without any modifications and with the push of a button you get a 2" lift. Hell there are even folks that run 34's with spacers and 0 issues.

Research 33" tires on GX, you are forced to buy a 2" lift kit and do major trim work to prevent rubbing, then after all that work it just looks funny with such a big tire in that little wheel well. Now 33s on a 100 just looks beautiful and like it was meant for them.

So a simple tire upgrade and push of a button will make you more off road worthy for cheap compared to a GX.

Something to consider if planning to off road

I'd love to understand on what aspects it's better off road on most merits.
Lighter and more nimble. Same goes for the 4Runners. My buddy’s 97 bone stock 4Runner just walks a similarly equipped hundy. Stock bumpers are steel and higher clearance, lighter weight truck. We still agree the hundy is overall the platform that does it all well but if mainly off-roading is your thing then you want something smaller than a 100/200 series. 80s are an exception since they have them solid axles.

I love my wife’s GX460. I put my surfboards on top and the rear door works amazing. Because you don’t have to worry about the door hitting boards or any thing you put on top, since it opens sideways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom