LX470 PPI Issues - Purchase or Keep Looking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey!

Had a pre purchase inspection done on a 2000 LX470 with 150k miles for $14k.

Appeared to be maintained well but inspection noted the following:

Replace Lower Oil Pan Gasket: $2,600
Replace Rack and Pinion: $1,200
Replace Power Steering Hose: $1,000
Total: $4,800

Been looking for roughly 6 months or so, narrowly lost out on 2 and can have this one if I want it...my question is, if I make these repairs, can I realistically expect this vehicle to last another 5-10 years at 7k miles/year with minimal expenses?

or

Should I give up on the LX search, increase my budget to $25k and look for a 2010+ Lexus GX.

$14k for a 2002 in good shape with no rust sounds fair enough to me.

I'd get a second opinion on those repair costs.

The 100 is very reliable, but I wouldn't exactly classify it as cheap to run. So perhaps you could expand on 'minimal expense'. To what extent are you comfortable DIYing?

You've looked at Slee's buying guide, and we should read into this that everything is good except those mentioned right? AHC, fluids, belts, bushings, etc?

$14k for a 2002 in good shape with no rust sounds fair enough to me.

I'd get a second opinion on those repair costs.

The 100 is very reliable, but I wouldn't exactly classify it as cheap to run. So perhaps you could expand on 'minimal expense'. To what extent are you comfortable DIYing?

You've looked at Slee's buying guide, and we should read into this that everything is good except those mentioned right? AHC, fluids, belts, bushings, etc?
Thanks for the reply!

Trouble is, the vehicle is 1,100 miles away. From the pictures, no rust, interior looks very clean. 1st owner had for 17 years and serviced regularly at Lexus. Second owner appeared to service regularly as well.

The inspection was done by the local Lexus dealership there. Timing belt and water pump were recently replaced, tires, brakes and AHC in good shape. Did not ask about fluids and bushings but was not something that was pointed out in his report.

Other minor things I do not care much about, antenna is a little bent but works and passenger power mirror doesn’t work.

Thought it was a good deal but had a little sticker shock at repair costs. Those prices are Lexus quoted and I am guessing I could get the work done for $1k less elsewhere.

Mainly want to use the vehicle for fishing trips and long road trips. I work from home so will be minimally used otherwise.

Thanks for the reply!

Trouble is, the vehicle is 1,100 miles away. From the pictures, no rust, interior looks very clean. 1st owner had for 17 years and serviced regularly at Lexus. Second owner appeared to service regularly as well.

The inspection was done by the local Lexus dealership there. Timing belt and water pump were recently replaced, tires, brakes and AHC in good shape. Did not ask about fluids and bushings but was not something that was pointed out in his report.

Other minor things I do not care much about, antenna is a little bent but works and passenger power mirror doesn’t work.

Thought it was a good deal but had a little sticker shock at repair costs. Those prices are Lexus quoted and I am guessing I could get the work done for $1k less elsewhere.

Mainly want to use the vehicle for fishing trips and long road trips. I work from home so will be minimally used otherwise.
To answer your question on cheap to maintain...I do not plan to DIY much. Would love to YouTube and do things where I can but do not have much experience.

Is $500 or so a year reasonable expenses for a 2000 LX470?

My history with recent vehicles...had an 04 Avalon that required $300 a year or so in expenses, a 07 Volvo XC70 I was dumping $2-4k/year the past few years and we recently bought a new Outback I have dealer serviced at about $400/year.

Dude, you are buying a 20 year old truck. Is it going to be more reliable than other 20 year old trucks? Probably, but it's still 20 years old.

A $500 a year maintenance budget is unrealistic. That's about five hours of labor cost and doesn't take into account parts, fluids, etc. Don't buy one of these trying to be frugal.

Jim

To answer your question on cheap to maintain...I do not plan to DIY much. Would love to YouTube and do things where I can but do not have much experience.

Is $500 or so a year reasonable expenses for a 2000 LX470?

My history with recent vehicles...had an 04 Avalon that required $300 a year or so in expenses, a 07 Volvo XC70 I was dumping $2-4k/year the past few years and we recently bought a new Outback I have dealer serviced at about $400/year.

Over the last 4.5 years of my ownership of my 2003 LX from ~160k to now 230k (70k miles), it has cost me, EXCLUDING gas and insurance, a little under $0.17 per mile to maintain my truck. Tires, parts, fluids, etc.

Equates to ~$2,500 per year in maintenance. Plus s***ty gas mileage. That is me DIYing everything except a rear axle rebuild (bearings) that the dealer did.

These trucks are a labor of love. They are more expensive than other options in their price bracket to maintain. They will easily last another 7-10 years but will cost you $ to maintain properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJK
Over the last 4.5 years of my ownership of my 2003 LX from ~160k to now 230k (70k miles), it has cost me, EXCLUDING gas and insurance, a little under $0.18 per mile to maintain my truck. Tires, parts, fluids, etc.

Equates to ~$2,700 per year in maintenance. Plus s***ty gas mileage. That is me DIYing everything except a rear axle rebuild (bearings) that the dealer did.

These trucks are a labor of love. They are more expensive than other options in their price bracket to maintain. They will easily last another 7-10 years but will cost you $ to maintain properly.
Thanks, this is very helpful. Ultimately would be fine averaging $2,700 or so a year to maintain it if that is what it requires, would likely put a little less mileage on it than you but may end up costing me more due to less DIY. Guess I was overly optimistic with my maintenance costs. Appreciate the thorough numbers!

These trucks are not Avalons, and @Hokie LX's experience is similar to mine.

Its full time 4wd = 2 diffs, transfer case, & hubs to service
It weighs 6000lbs = which takes a toll on 20 year old bushings
It has a hydraulic suspension = maintenance, globe replacement
Gas milage is horrible
You have a timing belt, which needs replacing
Good A/T tires are $250 a corner
And there are potential gotchas, as you have found out. Steering rack, braking system, exhaust manifolds, etc

But, a lot of us think its worth it. It lasts forever. It goes damn near anywhere. It tows. Its comfy. Depreciation is minimal. And, if you are so inclined, they are easy to work on (for most things).

If you are aiming for $500/yr to go fishing, I'd aim more Highlander/RX. We have had lots of those in the family, but I have no desire to drive them.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Ultimately would be fine averaging $2,700 or so a year to maintain it if that is what it requires, would likely put a little less mileage on it than you but may end up costing me more due to less DIY. Guess I was overly optimistic with my maintenance costs. Appreciate the thorough numbers!

You’re welcome. I changed my math a little but statement still stands.

I am also permanently working from home now so that will decrease but I was averaging 15k miles per year until late last year. Labor cost will add substantial cost to most jobs.

These trucks are not Avalons, and @Hokie LX's experience is similar to mine.

Its full time 4wd = 2 diffs, transfer case, & hubs to service
It weighs 6000lbs = which takes a toll on 20 year old bushings
It has a hydraulic suspension = maintenance, globe replacement
Gas milage is horrible
You have a timing belt, which needs replacing
Good A/T tires are $250 a corner
And there are potential gotchas, as you have found out. Steering rack, braking system, exhaust manifolds, etc

But, a lot of us think its worth it. It lasts forever. It goes damn near anywhere. It tows. Its comfy. Depreciation is minimal. And, if you are so inclined, they are easy to work on (for most things).

If you are aiming for $500/yr to go fishing, I'd aim more Highlander/RX.
Thank you for the feedback, good to hear consistent numbers from few different people.

The reason I want a larger rig is because I either (1) Take road trips with my wife, our 2 dogs and lots of gear or (2) Go fishing with friends and strap my Flycraft boat to the top, an enduro bike to the hitch and still want quite a bit of room for gear.

I’ve wavered between the 100 series and a 2010+ GX throughout this process.

Seems like both would fit my needs. Does anyone think the GX would be much more economical? Seems like a little higher up front cost but perhaps lower maintenance.

Dude, you are buying a 20 year old truck. Is it going to be more reliable than other 20 year old trucks? Probably, but it's still 20 years old.

A $500 a year maintenance budget is unrealistic. That's about five hours of labor cost and doesn't take into account parts, fluids, etc. Don't buy one of these trying to be frugal.

Jim
Haha thanks for the reply...yeah I was a bit off!

Thank you for the feedback, good to hear consistent numbers from few different people.

The reason I want a larger rig is because I either (1) Take road trips with my wife, our 2 dogs and lots of gear or (2) Go fishing with friends and strap my Flycraft boat to the top, an enduro bike to the hitch and still want quite a bit of room for gear.

I’ve wavered between the 100 series and a 2010+ GX throughout this process.

Seems like both would fit my needs. Does anyone think the GX would be much more economical? Seems like a little higher up front cost but perhaps lower maintenance.

I recently cross shopped the new gen GX for my parents but they ultimately ended up with a new Audi Q7. It’s a nice truck but will be more $ up front and still out of warranty. I would doubt maintenance would be significantly different unless you found a really low mile one.

Have you considered a 4th gen 4Runner? Maintenance bill may be lower, and cost of entry is lower, better mpg and you can still get a V8 too.

I'd bet the TCO for an LX is lower than a 10+ GX, but honestly just buy what you like better and be happy.

A V8 4G 4runner will be substantially cheaper. We just sold one (and bought another RX).

I recently cross shopped the new gen GX for my parents but they ultimately ended up with a new Audi Q7. It’s a nice truck but will be more $ up front and still out of warranty. I would doubt maintenance would be significantly different unless you found a really low mile one.

Have you considered a 4th gen 4Runner? Maintenance bill may be lower, and cost of entry is lower, better mpg and you can still get a V8 too.
That’s funny, did the same thing with my sister and she too ended up with the Q7.

I looked at the Gen 4 4runners for a bit but ultimately decided I may regret not going larger. Appreciate the suggestion!

Those prices seem high on everything except the rack which is weird. You could do the power steering hoses yourself pretty easily I would think. Oil pan gasket should be pretty straight forward as well. The rack can probably be nursed along for a little while. Mine was leaking a bit after I flushed it and I just added to AT-205 and it stopped.

If you DIY repairs I think you can get by with $500-800 per year on maintenance if nothing crazy breaks. If you aren't really wheeling it that should be easy. I'm in my second year of ownership and I think I've spent maybe $1000 on parts (that weren't upgrades) that includes differential fluid and oil. I know I will eventually get hit with the rack costs, but I will do that myself. The brake booster thing is my nightmare, but I'm hoping to be able to just have the motor rebuilt for a few hundred dollars when it happens. If you are a little handy you can make these trucks work barring anything major like transmission failure or weird electrical issues ( I hate electrical issues)

I don't daily drive my 100 either , but when I do use it I'm off road most of the time so that is probably a wash.
"
"my question is, if I make these repairs, can I realistically expect this vehicle to last another 5-10 years at 7k miles/year with minimal expenses?"

I would say yes absolutely, with the caveat that you are doing your own maintenance. I would call $1000/year minimal expenses on a 20 year old vehicle personally. I mean hell, that's like 2 payments on a new car. If you take it to the shop every time you will blow through that maintenance budget the very first visit.

EDIT:

Looking back at all the stuff you want to be able to take in the truck maybe you could look at a Sequoia? The 100 series really isn't that spacious by normal SUV standards in the US. I'm not sure the maintenance costs would be any less, but the initial purchase price would be.

Last edited:
In terms of the OP and the original rig in question: it sounds pretty good for no rust.

If the rig can be driven 1100 miles as-is, you can always buy it, drive it home, and then sort out a different mechanic to perform those jobs.

Over the next 50k-70k miles and 5-10 years, just be aware that some other parts are known to potentially fail within those windows with respect to the current mileage and in-service date of the rig if they are still OEM from the factory.

1. Brake booster/master cylinder stuff
2. Fuel pump
3. Rubber bits (bushings, etc)
4. AHC globes
5. (Specific to your model year) internal tranny parts

Both the GX and LX are good platforms. Don't forget about the LX ownership "snobbery" over a GX if you are into that sort of thing.

Those prices seem high on everything except the rack which is weird. You could do the power steering hoses yourself pretty easily I would think. Oil pan gasket should be pretty straight forward as well. The rack can probably be nursed along for a little while. Mine was leaking a bit after I flushed it and I just added to AT-205 and it stopped.

If you DIY repairs I think you can get by with $500-800 per year on maintenance if nothing crazy breaks. If you aren't really wheeling it that should be easy. I'm in my second year of ownership and I think I've spent maybe $1000 on parts (that weren't upgrades) that includes differential fluid and oil. I know I will eventually get hit with the rack costs, but I will do that myself. The brake booster thing is my nightmare, but I'm hoping to be able to just have the motor rebuilt for a few hundred dollars when it happens. If you are a little handy you can make these trucks work barring anything major like transmission failure or weird electrical issues ( I hate electrical issues)

I don't daily drive my 100 either , but when I do use it I'm off road most of the time so that is probably a wash.
"
"my question is, if I make these repairs, can I realistically expect this vehicle to last another 5-10 years at 7k miles/year with minimal expenses?"

I would say yes absolutely, with the caveat that you are doing your own maintenance. I would call $1000/year minimal expenses on a 20 year old vehicle personally. I mean hell, that's like 2 payments on a new car. If you take it to the shop every time you will blow through that maintenance budget the very first visit.

EDIT:

Looking back at all the stuff you want to be able to take in the truck maybe you could look at a Sequoia? The 100 series really isn't that spacious by normal SUV standards in the US. I'm not sure the maintenance costs would be any less, but the initial purchase price would be.
I did consider the Sequoia. It is likely the smartest choice for my needs but I can’t get myself to do it. Appreciate the input!

That is one clean rig on the outside (didn't get any shots of the inside). Everything mechanical in view of the video looked pretty damn good too.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it given my caveats listed above.

Brand new tires. Brand new brake pads.

The oil leak can just be a PITA that you'd need to monitor and top up the oil level until you get it fixed. No biggie. Bring extra oil on long road trips is the bottom line.

The power steering rack may be solved by dumping in this AT-205 folks like to use and recommend. That may stop the leak at the seal the tech was referencing in the video, at least for a little bit. Worth a try before replacing the rack.

The power steering hose leak sure didn't look bad to me. Monitor fluid level in reservoir and refill as necessary until the leak worsens.

The kink in the antenna mast? Who gives a fu(k, it's an antenna mast that still does the job.

That rig appears well-loved, perhaps even cherished, by previous owner(s).

Last edited:
That is one clean rig on the outside (didn't get any shots of the inside). Everything mechanical in view of the video looked pretty damn good too.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it given my caveats listed above.

Brand new tires. Brand new brake pads.

The oil leak can just be a PITA that you'd need to monitor and top up the oil level until you get it fixed. No biggie. Bring extra oil on long road trips is the bottom line.

The power steering rack may be solved by dumping in this AT-205 folks like to use and recommend. That may stop the leak at the seal the tech was referencing in the video, at least for a little bit. Worth a try before replacing the rack.

The power steering hose leak sure didn't look bad to me. Monitor fluid level in reservoir and refill as necessary until the leak worsens.

The kink in the antenna mast? Who gives a fu(k, it's an antenna mast that still does the job.

That rig appears well-loved, perhaps even cherished, by previous owner(s).
I appreciate your input!

It appeared to me that it has been well cared for too. Good to know all that I may encounter going in.

With being concerned about budget costs, I'm surprised you're not put off by the gas mileage. I bought my LX 5 years ago and put 60k miles on it. I had about 6k in maintenance costs, which included a timing belt. While many components are very robust. I had a couple years that I barely spent any money on it, then I had the opposite. I just sold it for $1k less than I purchased it for. But you can't beat the way the 100 series drives, even with a 2 1/2" lift and over 33" tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom