LX470 or Tacoma? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it's any of our business, are you planning on selling the taco to fund the LX? Assuming you've paid the truck off, that'll be a healthy amount of money to use to freshen up the LX and potentially buy a 15 year old corolla beater.

I owe a good amount on the Taco, but I'm definitely not upside down. Some of the money from selling the Tacoma would go to getting the LX up to speed. And the plan would be to eventually get something more practical as a daily. I love my tacoma, but it's gotten outside of being a practical daily, though I have a hard time making substantial payments on a weekend warrior. There's lots of things I'd like to have done to it (SAS for example) that I can't because it's a daily. With the LX as a toy, I'd definitely have more options, and wouldn't have to worry so much if every mod makes it less of a daily.

I offered him $4K today, and let him know I just can't justify spending more than that on a toy, though it may actually be worth more. He said he "just might take me up on that offer" So we will see!

Well, most of the utube gurus say drive the rig you have (overist ( overland/tourist...which is what most of us are)). Especially your rig since it's already dressed for bear. I approve this message.

Take the scratch and use it to fund your trips.

This coming from a mildly addicted Lc fan boy!

I have to disagree with the mass here as well. Why drive something you hate/don't care for 95% of the time when you can drive your Taco 100% of the time. LX is good but not that good and I love mine as much as the next guy. Also the time/money/effort (assuming you do your own maintenance and installs) will be substantial to get the LX to where it needs to be (close in capability and reliability as your Taco).

I have both. The 100 is the family adventure wagon and the Tacoma (3rd gen) is my daily. Despite being 20 years newer, the Tacoma feels much more primitive. That being said, keep both if you can. The Taco is great when you need a bed and the gas savings is minor but noticeable.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is driver fatigue. I can drive my LX 1200 miles in a day and still be relatively fresh. The taco makes me tap out at about 700. That may not be a consideration based on your build plans, but overall comfort for the driver and passengers should be considered regardless of platform. The only other things that I have owned that hold a candle to the LX are a 95 LS 400 and an 07 Escalade.

I have a 98 taco and my brother has a 2012--every time I drive either of them for the fist time in awhile, I always think "what a piece of crap" If I drive them for a few days, I get used to them and enjoy driving them a lot. Then when I switch back to my LC or the LX, I am quickly reminded why my DD is a Land Cruiser.

YMMV. But yes, buy it.

Why drive something you hate/don't care for 95% of the time when you can drive your Taco 100% of the time. LX is good but not that good and I love mine as much as the next guy.
Tires are expensive, and offroad tires wear out much faster when commuting on asphalt. I also tend to baby it on trails, because I know it has to get me to work on Monday, whereas I'd probably have a lot more fun off-road if a breakage didn't mean I was without transportation.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is driver fatigue. I can drive my LX 1200 miles in a day and still be relatively fresh. The taco makes me tap out at about 700. That may not be a consideration based on your build plans, but overall comfort for the driver and passengers should be considered regardless of platform. The only other things that I have owned that hold a candle to the LX are a 95 LS 400 and an 07 Escalade.

I have a 98 taco and my brother has a 2012--every time I drive either of them for the fist time in awhile, I always think "what a piece of crap" If I drive them for a few days, I get used to them and enjoy driving them a lot. Then when I switch back to my LC or the LX, I am quickly reminded why my DD is a Land Cruiser.

YMMV. But yes, buy it.
Yes, driving the Tacoma from FL to AR, or FL to wherever gets a bit tiring. I'm sure those trips would be much more enjoyable in the LX!

Yes, driving the Tacoma from FL to AR, or FL to wherever gets a bit tiring. I'm sure those trips would be much more enjoyable in the LX!
So did you get it?

Lol I’d buy almost any cruiser not rotted out for $4k. Drives better but slower than a 2021 f150.

Lol I’d buy almost any cruiser not rotted out for $4k. Drives better but slower than a 2021 f150.
Really? Come look at mine in Dayton. It continues to just sit on a trickle charger collecting dust.

I have both. The Taco will return to being my daily driver when we can return to the office. in addition to hauling stuff to the dump truck. The LX is strictly for off-road use.

YMMV. But yes, buy it.
Recently converted 100 owner here, and I can confirm that these things absolutely gobble miles. I’ve owned a Discovery, Range Rover, F150, 80-series and a whole lot more and the 100 is in a different class. 1200 miles per day would be a piece of cake in this LC.

Recently converted 100 owner here, and I can confirm that these things absolutely gobble miles. I’ve owned a Discovery, Range Rover, F150, 80-series and a whole lot more and the 100 is in a different class. 1200 miles per day would be a piece of cake in this LC.
1,200 per day will be a piece of cake....what planet are you from dude? Are you human?

1,200 per day will be a piece of cake....what planet are you from dude? Are you human?
I’ve done a fair amount of long road trips. May have overstated it a bit, but I’ve done 700 + miles in my truck and the 100 already. Couldn’t wait to get out of the truck…the 100? I felt like I could keep going…

I've done 1240 in a day and could have left earlier in the morning and driven a bit later. Last winter I did Virginia Beach, VA to Billings MT in 3.5 days and then two days later did Cody, WY to Virginia Beach in 3 days flat. I was tired, but easily could have stretched it out a few thousand more miles before burning out.

I've done 1240 in a day and could have left earlier in the morning and driven a bit later. Last winter I did Virginia Beach, VA to Billings MT in 3.5 days and then two days later did Cody, WY to Virginia Beach in 3 days flat. I was tired, but easily could have stretched it out a few thousand more miles before burning out.
I drove from Albuquerque to Chicago nonstop too last month in the 80. Yeah you can do it but it’s FAR from a piece of cake and I do not recommend anyone doing it. There’s a reason they limit truckers how many hours a day you’re allowed to drive. It’s safer for everyone that way.

I’ve done Newport News to Denver in two days in a T100. Long days for sure, but very doable…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom