LX470 FRONT shock absorber bushing/cushion metal on metal scraping with every turn of the wheel at this point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 LX470 here.

I was reading an earlier post about the rear shock bushings....(
Rear shock absorber bushing/cushion )
got me thinking to post about my Front bushings --
I think the bushing/cushion metal is so worn away that I'm getting metal scraping with every turn of the wheel . Here's a pic I found (but not of my LX):
The top of the lower control arm mount is rubbing against the lower body of the shock
2019-10-23_11-01-31 lx470 shock rubbing mount.jpg

where the bolt secures the bottom of the lower mount to the lower control arm. The bushings are so worn out that the two areas are rubbing with every big turn -- parallel parking, etc.

I'm trying to avoid taking out the entire mount because I remember what a PITA getting the top nut off and don't want to disturb those washers and bushings if I can avoid it. Also want to avoid just replacing the shocks because I didn't realize how pricey these shocks could be due to the AHC. IIRC I think the torsion bars might need to be adjusted if I do this too.

Question: Can I just remove the lower mount bolt and move the control arm down to access the bushings? I think I may just take a torch to the old bushings and replace them with a new set of Energy Suspension Shock Eye Bushings. Not sure exactly which bushing to order for this but it looks like I will need to use the same spacers. Any ideas on this? Also, any recommendations on which bushings to get would be great. Thanks in advance

You should be able to. I've read on here you should bleed the shock off first before servicing. Press out the rubber center of the bushing and use a hacksaw to cut through the metal of the bushing. Press out with your tool of choice or chisel it out.

I'm working on it right now and its a pain to do it in place, since the shock wants to move around. I am waiting on new top cushions and o-rings, so I can pull all the shocks and use my press to remove the bushings.

more info on doing it in place here:

Yes you should be able to access the bushing without removing the whole shock.

90903-89016 is the part number for the OEM bush. That's what I would use. They're surprisingly cheap.

I saw this method of removing the bushings and it looks like it could work for doing them in place. I think I'm leaning towards torching out the olds ones though.

This is from the 4 Runner site but concept remains the same

My only concern with that method would be pushing out the center of the bush without actually getting the outer bush out, especially if it is already fairly perished as it sounds like it is. Still it would be less messy than burning it out. If the washers were just the right size and made contact perfectly with the outer lip of the bush then that would help.

I've done several bushings lately and now I pretty much always push out the center of the old bush (for access) and mate up the new one and press the old out with the new (I press on the metal part with an appropriate socket or sleeve from ball joint kit, not the center). But this method is with a shop press where I can be careful not to damage the new bush. Point is the middle has always come out for me with pressure applied to it. Never has the whole bushing slipped out.

One way or another I think you can get it done.

does anyone know if the rear shock bushing is the same size as the front. I ordered an extra set by mistake. I know the part number is different but they really look the same size to me.

Mine were two different parts for my shock bushings on my 2000 LX. Different mounting style for front and rear.

F: 9090389016
R: 9038519010

Front have a bolt and but that go through the front control arm.

Rears slide into a pin that is fixed the the truck and have a large flanged bolt and washer that hold them on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom