Rear shock absorber bushing/cushion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 04 lx470 with the AHC, my bushing/cushion are worn out. The metal spacer is coming in contact with the mount causing a rattle. Has anyone else experience this kinda situation?

Are you asking about the donut shaped cushions at the top or the bushing at the bottom? Either way I've replaced all of them. Not sure what questions you have but I'm happy to help where I can.

Are you asking about the donut shaped cushions at the top or the bushing at the bottom? Either way I've replaced all of them. Not sure what questions you have but I'm happy to help where I can.
Yeah the donut shape cushion, both of my top rear shock absorber cushion are worn out. How bad was URS?

On my 2007 LX one of the metal retainers was missing from the factory I believe. The resulting movement caused wear to the shock post (not sure exactly what it's called, the skinny shiny part that the top bolt fastens to.) Anyway it eventually wore through that post and caused a leak of AHC fluid. Obviously the cushions were all messed up too. There's more than one, by the way. Three I think. There are two.

On my 98 LX they were just old. The ride is better with them all replaced, but I replaced a lot of stuff at the same time so it's a little hard to say what helped the most.

Unfortunately it requires removing the shocks, which can be troublesome for various reasons. You'll probably want to replace the o-rings once you disconnect the hoses. The bleed afterward needs to be a bit more thorough than the simple AHC fluid change method. And the top nut on the rear shocks is harder to get to. If there is rust it can be very difficult.

If you do it yourself get a pass through socket wrench set because the clearance is really low. '04 is 21mm I believe, but you should double check that. And as long as you have the shock off I'd replace the bushing too.

Last edited:
One my 2007 LX one of the metal retainers was missing from the factory I believe. The resulting movement caused wear to the shock post (not sure exactly what it's called, the skinny shiny part that the top bolt fastens to.) Anyway it eventually wore through that post and caused a leak of AHC fluid. Obviously the cushions were all messed up too. There's more than one, by the way. Three I think.

On my 98 LX they were just old. The ride is better with them all replaced, but I replaced a lot of stuff at the same time so it's a little hard to say what helped the most.

Unfortunately it requires removing the shocks, which can be troublesome for various reasons. You'll probably want to replace the o-rings once you disconnect the hoses. The bleed afterward needs to be a bit more thorough than the simple AHC fluid change method. And the top nut on the rear shocks is harder to get to. If there is rust it can be very difficult.

If you do it yourself get a pass through socket wrench set because the clearance is really low. '04 is 21mm I believe, but you should double check that. And as long as you have the shock off I'd replace the bushing too.
Thanks. Imma take it to my local mechanic and let him check it out. Do u have the part number of the cushion ?

cusions.jpg

The highlighted ones are the cushions. There are two.

Lower rear is 9094801078
Upper rear is 9094801077

For the upper I'd check the price of part number 4853960011, which includes the top cushion already sandwiched and glued between the top retainer and the next one. I've seen it barely more expensive than just the cushion, and it's always nice to have new ones. This is 48539 on the diagram. (Note for anyone else reading this in the future, that is only an option for 03/99 builds and later. Other part numbers may also vary.)

View attachment 2107502

The highlighted ones are the cushions. There are two.

Lower rear is 9094801078
Upper rear is 9094801077

For the upper I'd check the price of part number 4853960011, which includes the top cushion already sandwiched and glued between the top retainer and the next one. I've seen it barely more expensive than just the cushion, and it's always nice to have new ones. This is 48539 on the diagram. (Note for anyone else reading this in the future, that is only an option for 03/99 builds and later. Other part numbers may also vary.)
These the one that are worn out on me mostly the driver side.
Screenshot_20191014-172804_eBay.jpg

In that case it's the lower cushions. 9094801078

But if you're already having to remove the shocks I'd replace all the rubber including the bushing (9038519010 - only $1.10 from partsouq). There's also an o-ring (9030111022) and back-up o-ring (9056212003) that are in the AHC line where it connects to the top of the shock. Change out those too.

In that case it's the lower cushions. 9094801078

But if you're already having to remove the shocks I'd replace all the rubber including the bushing (9038519010 - only $1.10 from partsouq). There's also an o-ring (9030111022) and back-up o-ring (9056212003) that are in the AHC line where it connects to the top of the shock. Change out those too.
Thanks for all the info. My local mechanic that I go to, I don't think he ever worked on the AHC system before. I'm afraid he might mess it up.

Any need to bleed the shock after it's removed from the truck? Or just bleed the globes and accumulator once everything is installed again?

I have all new bushings and cushions to install, since mine are toast.

I've seen @PADDO mention removing the shocks to press out bushing and replacing cushions, but couldn't find anything on proper bleed after replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom