LX470 Front breaks, wheel bearings service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders.
The Lexie is coming up on 212k mi , daily driver.
It's time for a break job, wheel bearings. I'm seeing some control arm bushing wear and the steering is ' slightly' loose.
I think it's also getting close to a full service, Timing etc.
So far the AHC is working as it should but I get a lot of advice to rip it out and make a Land Cruiser out of it.

My plan is to address the front end breaks calibers Rogers and bearings/seals first.

Anyone have a good tutorial on this work? I'd only have 2 days to complete the job and no garage. I'd like to get everything I need and ask more expert wrenchers before I bumble my way through it

The few YT vids I've seen are great but I'm going to need more details for this job.

I'll wait until a week or two after that and look at the steering issue, just a slight shimmy in the steering wheel.

I swear I wish there was a DIY garage rental place with all the tools and space I could get this done!
Thanks!

The FSM is the best tutorial. Can view it here for free (works best on a computer, not phone): https://lc100e.github.io/manual/

Tools: 1/2”-drive torque wrench, 54mm deep socket, brass drift, hammer, snapring pliers, flathead screwdriver, needlenose pliers, sockets ranging from 10mm to 22mm, a 10mm flare nut wrench, @TheForger CV shaft puller tool (or something similar), PB Blaster, 2 lbs of wheel bearing grease, and probably a few more tools that I’m forgetting.

Tackle the front wheel bearing and brake job at the same time. If you don't have to replace rotors, even better. Just ensure you get new sliding pins and the shim kit from Mr. T for longevity and completeness. When installing the new brakes, always first put in the metal shim with the pinch anchors inside of the caliper piston before any pads, grease, or slide pin.

I made a thread about wheel bearings, but it’s less of a how-to and more of just documentation to allow me to go back at a later date for reference. Tried to include a lot of pictures assuming others are like myself and learn more easily through visual means. There are plenty of other great threads out there on this topic, many of which I referenced for my own service.

Wheel Bearing Service w/Pics

The FSM is the best tutorial. Can view it here for free (works best on a computer, not phone): https://lc100e.github.io/manual/

Tools: 1/2”-drive torque wrench, 54mm deep socket, brass drift, hammer, snapring pliers, flathead screwdriver, needlenose pliers, sockets ranging from 10mm to 22mm, a 10mm flare nut wrench, @TheForger CV shaft puller tool (or something similar), PB Blaster, 2 lbs of wheel bearing grease, and probably a few more tools that I’m forgetting.
Ah yes, the FSM. I should start there. Thank you Junk for the heads up. Will seek this out. BTW, where do you hail from?

Tackle the front wheel bearing and brake job at the same time. If you don't have to replace rotors, even better. Just ensure you get new sliding pins and the shim kit from Mr. T for longevity and completeness. When installing the new brakes, always first put in the metal shim with the pinch anchors inside of the caliper piston before any pads, grease, or slide pin.
From tip to tail as we say. This is what I'm looking for. So if rotors are out of spec(212k current reading) would you replace rotors while doing brakes,pads etc? What kit would you recommend for a average use?

You can get a full bearing kit from Cruiser Outfitters. There's a couple really good vids of the whole process, bearings and rotors, on Youtube, don't know much more detail you're looking for.
Yes, it's for the LX470, should be exactly the same stock swap as the LC 100. Looking for ' brake jobs for dummies version' I mostly wrench on KTM and Aprilla motorcycles. Not much crossover except for a metric tools in general!

I made a thread about wheel bearings, but it’s less of a how-to and more of just documentation to allow me to go back at a later date for reference. Tried to include a lot of pictures assuming others are like myself and learn more easily through visual means. There are plenty of other great threads out there on this topic, many of which I referenced for my own service.

Wheel Bearing Service w/Pics
Pinmarked, thank you

The joyless part about front rotor replacement is that they are bolted to the hub with bolts that rust. Thank your higher power of choice if you don't need to fight this issue. The front rotors themselves aren't expensive per se, just a PITA compared to other platforms.

The joyless part about front rotor replacement is that they are bolted to the hub with bolts that rust. Thank your higher power of choice if you don't need to fight this issue. The front rotors themselves aren't expensive per se, just a PITA compared to other platforms.
Is there a hole in the rotor where you can use a screw to push them off like on the rear end?

Is there a hole in the rotor where you can use a screw to push them off like on the rear end?
No - the rotors are bolted to the front hub flange. Remove the bolts and the rotor falls off.

No - the rotors are bolted to the front hub flange. Remove the bolts and the rotor falls off.
To clarify for all that aren't familiar, not the front hub flange that slides over the axle grooves. Just a separate part of the hub that some competent ignoramooses (ignorameese?) label as a flange

💯

To clarify for all that aren't familiar, not the front hub flange that slides over the axle grooves. Just a separate part of the hub that some competent ignoramooses (ignorameese?) label as a flange

💯
Hahaha that’s correct! I dunno what the hell else you call that part of the hub tho. Looks like a flange 🤷🏻‍♂️

The hub "part that the rotor attaches to"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom