LX470 2001 - Telescoping Steering Disable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok guys - just picked up a 2001 LX470 with 140k miles. It a good clean vehicle and working on getting a couple things fixed. I have looked all over the forums and I’m am trying to get an understanding of how to disable the “easy entry” feature on the steering wheel so that it won’t automatically tilt? I have been to both the Lexus dealer and the Toyota dealers and neither can seem to be able to do it with TechStream. I also want to change the remote to one click opening. I know this is possible but the dealers are telling me it is not an option in TechStream? Any ideas would be appreciated. I have ordered the TechStream software and cable from Amazon and also have a dedicated laptop to run it on but if the dealer can’t find it in TechStream I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I did it with TechStream on my 2001 LX470. I don't recall exactly where in TechStream, but you will figure it out after poking around a bit. It isn't that complicated. The dealer is probably not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to figuring these things out.

Thanks! That’s what I thought. I have been to both the Lexus dealer and Toyota and they can’t figure out where it is in TechStream. Any help - step by step would be greatly appreciated. The telescoping motor is on its last legs so don’t want it stuck.

Some nice person made a video :)

The setting you are looking for is under "Tilt & Telescopic". You will figure it out in no time, and wonder why the dealer was so incompetent.

upload_2018-10-2_13-24-22.jpeg

Ok - here is the TechStream screen from the Toyota dealer and none of the AHC, Tilt Steering, etc options are shown on this screen. I noticed in the video they had to manually load it as an LX470 and the Toyota dealer has it as a LC so maybe that is the issue and it is not showing the LX options??

View attachment 1802229

Ok - here is the TechStream screen from the Toyota dealer and none of the AHC, Tilt Steering, etc options are shown on this screen. I noticed in the video they had to manually load it as an LX470 and the Toyota dealer has it as a LC so maybe that is the issue and it is not showing the LX options??

My 98 you have to enter as a LX 470, it comes up as a Land Cruiser.

Edit to add. My daughter's 2002 RX300 comes up as a Highlander.

I turned it off on mine (2005 LX470). Click on "Customize Setting" and see what pops up.. I know that was part of what I did, but don't remember the sequence. On mine, I think 17 or 18 systems came up rather than the five that you showed two posts ago. Maybe run the health check first and see if anything else pops up?

View attachment 1802229

You defintely need to load the program as LX470 not LC to get the right menus to populate.

Thanks guys! I walked my wife through the above process and she was able to finally get someone at the dealer to understand. They were able to turn off the steering telescope but the one button open was beyond them. Guess I’ll just have to do that one on my own when TechStream arrives.

Thanks again for all the help!

Good grief....did the tech No Habla Ingles?

Should have been an easy enough task for the dealer.

“One button open” is not an option on pre ‘03’s.

“One button open” is not an option on pre ‘03’s.

Bummer. The redundant button press feels stupid to me.

Safety feature. If you were running to the car being chased, it wouldn't allow someone else to jump in the other side to get to you.

At least, that's the only plausible reason I can think of for it since otherwise, like you said, it's friggin' stupid and annoying.

My fix was to have a remote start system installed, now they all open at once. Downside is my installer didn't incorporate a beep or honk into the action so I don't get the audible confirmation if I'm walking away.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the steering wheel up or down with tech stream? Mine still goes out and in but it no longer goes up and down and is at the lowest setting now.

Unless your toggle switch is defective, I'd say that's probably the motor assembly that's bad. There are a couple of threads here about it but I don't have the link handy.

I just turned off Autoaway on my 1999 model LX470. Pictures below.

Go into the "Customize Settings" option from the System Select Tab.

1581876478826.png

Select "Tilt and Telesco" option and click the next arrow.

1581876569540.png

Click the "Off" setting and then the next arrow button to apply the change. Then click the red X to exit changing settings.

That turns off the "Autoaway T&T option.

1581876641333.png

Turn off the auto locking function, too. It’ll wear out the door lock motors prematurely and to me adds no value.

Turn off the auto locking function, too. It’ll wear out the door lock motors prematurely and to me adds no value.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Though I don't think it is enabled. Only one of the door lock motors is still functioning as I recall. Already worn out. :)

I just turned off Autoaway on my 1999 model LX470. Pictures below.

Go into the "Customize Settings" option from the System Select Tab.

View attachment 2212680

Select "Tilt and Telesco" option and click the next arrow.

View attachment 2212681

Click the "Off" setting and then the next arrow button to apply the change. Then click the red X to exit changing settings.

That turns off the "Autoaway T&T option.

View attachment 2212682
I've done this on my 99 LX470 and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I can still hear a motor or servo just constantly wirring away doing nothing.
Can I just cut a wire or unplug it?

I've done this on my 99 LX470 and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I can still hear a motor or servo just constantly wirring away doing nothing.
Can I just cut a wire or unplug it?
I would try unplugging it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom