LX470/100 Series Doug Thorley Headers Install Tips, Tricks, Lessons, Parts List, and Tools (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I wanted to do a thread detailing my install of my Doug Thorley headers on my 2003 LX470. I haven't seen this much detail anywhere that I could find showing the tools that make this job easier so I hope it will be helpful for someone looking to do this job by themselves. This won't be a how-to per-say but I will share some of the tips and tricks I learned while doing this job as well as some of the tools that I found invaluable! It will also cover some of the things I did wrong that others should keep in mind while doing this job.

I will say that this job was not as daunting as I had originally believed. After all, it's just nuts and bolts, right? (/s)

Amazingly, my stock headers were not cracked but I could have sworn they would be.

What was getting installed...I ordered the DT headers and exhaust from the recent group buy on FB. This will focus on the headers as the exhaust install is very straightforward.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Parts I ordered for the header install. All Toyota OEM parts.
Manifold Gasket17173500212$36.32
Front Pipe Gasket90080430362$19.34
Exhaust Manifold Stud900801200816$56.00
Exhaust Pipe Lock Nut900801718716$24.96

Total cost of parts from McGeorge Toyota - $136.62

Tools I used:

I used a lot of various extensions, ratchets, breaker bars, swivels, etc... But these tools listed are ones that not everyone may have on hand but made this job MUCH easier!

1. Flex ratcheting wrenches. I ordered some GearWrench stubby and normal length ratchets which I used extensively as they were great for accessing and snugging down the new manifold nuts in hard to reach areas. I bought these but any good quality flex ratcheting wrenches should work. I had some cheap HF ones previously and the ratcheting mechanism broke on 2 of them in another job I was doing the week before...buy once, buy quality!
Amazon product ASIN B000HBAI40 <-- Stubby wrenches
Amazon product ASIN B07Y49L5PS <-- normal length wrenches

2. Note on spline sockets...I know most people are recommending these to remove the stubborn factory manifold nuts but I did NOT have good luck with them in my experience and stripped two nuts using them. I used my Kobalt 6-pt sockets and they worked great for me on all of the other nuts! Definitely use good quality 6pt sockets as I was exerting A LOT of torque to remove many of the manifold nuts. Don't use 12pt sockets for obvious reasons.

3. Extraction sockets - I tried using some spline sockets to remove the manifold nuts and it stripped two of them. I had to buy some deep extraction sockets to remove them and these worked a treat! The short extraction sockets I had already were not long though to fully seat on the nut. Longer ones pictured below.
Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FSBFQ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
IMG_6316.jpg

4. Socket depth... I found that my Kobalt 1/2" 14mm socket was the best option for accessibility and seating fully on the manifold nuts to remove them. It is longer than a 3/8" short socket but still long enough to cover the entire manifold stud and nut fully while still being shorter than a deep 3/8" or 1/2" socket. This shows the length difference between the various sockets I had on hand.
IMG_6313.jpg

5. Swivel sockets - Honestly, I found that the hardest part of this job for me was reinstalling the dip stick tube retaining nut on the driver side. With the new header in, it leaves very little room to access and install the bolt. I used a swivel socket I had in my toolbox which made this easier after trying for way to long to do it by hand or with a 1/4" short socket. After messing with the other methods for the better part of an hour, I got it in with a 1/4" swivel socket in a under a minute fishing through the fender well around the shock mount. Swivel socket I used is pictured below on the far left.

6. Extensions - I found that I had to use a breaker bar and my jack handle as an extension to break 12/16 of the manifold nuts loose. They were well aged in place after 18 years. If you have a "weathered" truck with some corrosion, be prepared for this. I had to bring the extensions outside of the fender to use my jack handle to get enough leverage which required probably ~24-30" or more of extensions to make this work. Have some on hand!

7. E10 socket to install new manifold studs and re-torque any stock ones that didn't pull out with the nut. I had these on hand from my BMW days but get some if you don't have them already.

Picture of the maybe uncommon tools I used. Not including the standard ratchets, extensions, etc.
IMG_6315.jpg

Tips/Tricks/Lessons Learned:
1. This may be obvious but soak everything in PB blaster for days ahead of time. My truck has minimal if any rust and I had a 1/2 breaker bar with the top of a jack handle for 12 of the 16 header bolts to crack them loose.

2. Take out the catalytic converter pipes for extra working space and to remove the driver side header easier. It's only 2 more bolts and disconnecting the 02 sensor and it made it much easier and allowed for greater accessibility from below. It also makes removing the factory headers and fishing the new ones into place very easy.

3. I didn't remove the steering linkage or heat shield on the driver side like some of the how to's tell you to. I took the shield out with the header and had no problems. I wasted far too much time trying to remove these two things before starting on the driver side header nuts and ended up not needing to remove them at all to do the job.

4. RELEASE AND REROUTE THE O2 SENSOR WIRING HARNESS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE AFTER YOU REMOVE THE STOCK HEADER AND BEFORE YOU PUT THE NEW HEADER BACK IN. Makes it WAY easier to undo since it's virtually inaccessible with the new header installed. I learned this the hard way...

5. Route the passenger side O2 sensor harness ABOVE the header. I did mine below initially and found that it rubbed the header and would melt due to heat. I rerouted it above and have no issues and plenty of clearance. There may be other ways to do this but I found this to be the best way. I released the 2 harness clips and ran the wiring up towards the top of the engine bay and then back down above the collector to the O2 sensor.

6. I used virtually all of the 3/8" and 1/2" extensions, swivels, adapters, ratchets, breaker bars, etc that I had. To get the jack handle and breaker bar outside of the fender to crack many of the bolts loose, I was using ~24-30" of extensions. Use good quality ones that don't flex or have a lot of slack. You need socket swivels to get the socket to seat flush on the manifold bolt or else you don't stand a chance.

7. For access to a couple of manifold nuts, I combined both of my swivels to fully seat the socket on the nut.

8. I loosened (don't completely remove) the trans mount bolts and passenger engine mount bolts to allow engine to flex up high enough to put in a 2x4. I couldn't get mine high enough to get a 2x4 in there without doing this. Be careful not to crack your rad fan shroud when jacking up the engine. I rotated the top fan fins to 11 and 1 o'clock and it was fine. By not fully removing the passenger side and trans mount bolts, you don't have to worry about the engine seating back down in the correct location and having to fight the engine to drop into place when you put it back down.

9. The flex ratcheting wrenches are a life saver. They made this job a lot easier.

10. I removed the air box for easier access to some of the front top manifold bolts on the passenger side. I got a few of the top bolts through the top of the engine bay as it was easier. Removing the air box allows for more space to cycle the ratchet/breaker bar.

11. Buy 16 new manifold studs and 16 new nuts. I pulled 9 of the 16 manifold bolts out with the nuts.

12. The "LX AHC" factor wasn't really an issue for me. I'm sure that by not having the AHC line in the way, it may be easier but I didn't find it a problem for my install.

13. Remember that if you're using factory manifold gaskets, to have the white mark facing OUT towards the manifold.

14. Torque the new header nuts down in a pattern to evenly snug down the header onto the gasket. Personally I start in the middle and work my way out alternating between top and bottom. Don't fully torque the nuts down 1 at a time. Do it in a series of 2-3 passes and snug them down more and more each time until you finally reach your target torque.

15. Lift up an secure the AC line running on the driver side. It is the larger diameter line running right above the new header tube and it can rub and burn through over time. I zip-tied mine to the fuel filter.

16. When you remove the dip stick tube to remove the factory header, plug the hole in the drain pan with a shop towel to prevent debris from falling into your oil pan. I cleaned the area before I removed it to wipe away the debris.

Torque Values - stolen from the TLCFAQ write up but putting them here for completeness. (@RobRed)
-32 ft-lbs on the manifold bolts
-32 ft-lbs on the front O2 sensors.
-14 ft-lbs on the rear O2 sensor nuts
-46 ft-lbs on the manifold to cat flange nuts
-30 ft-lbs on the cat to exhaust flange nuts
-22 ft-lbs on the engine mounting brackets to the frame brackets

Hope this is helpful for those looking to tackle this job! Happy to answer any other questions about my experience if anyone has any. I'll edit this post with anything else I can think of.

Last edited:
This is a great write up, thank you!

Adding this for completeness and to give some background on one of my point above...LESSONS LEARNED.

I broke the cardinal rule and didn't double check my new O2 wire loom routing before my test drive. I had forgot to reroute the O2 wiring loom until after I had my header installed (big no no). This is why I have a note in my first post about routing the harness ABOVE the header.

On my first test drive around the neighborhood, I got home and noticed a burning plastic smell. Got under the truck and found this. The connector had melted and fused together. After some dremel work and work with a pick to remove the melted plastic, I was left with this. I wasn't getting a code but if I had left it it likely would have melted through.
IMG_6331.jpg

Ordered a new female connecter and de-pinned and re-pinned the new one and installed the new upstream sensors I had on hand so problem solved but just wanted to show what may happen if you route the harness underneath the header.
IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

I didn't reroute my harness on the passenger side, but my new sensor plug reached the original female plug. Now, I want to get underneath and check to see if it is in any danger!

Excellent write-up.

I'll be doing mine after work slows down in July.

I didn't reroute my harness on the passenger side, but my new sensor plug reached the original female plug. Now, I want to get underneath and check to see if it is in any danger!

YMMV, I noted that when I did mine, it barely reached and was a bit tight but initially thought it'd be ok. I'm glad I double checked though. The harness may have varied between years.

Quick question for you: I purchased the headers only and I’m trying to purchase all the parts needed for installation at once. I’m getting new studs and manifold gaskets, but I am wondering if I need a gasket for the flange that connects to the factory exhaust.

Quick question for you: I purchased the headers only and I’m trying to purchase all the parts needed for installation at once. I’m getting new studs and manifold gaskets, but I am wondering if I need a gasket for the flange that connects to the factory exhaust.

Best to have on hand, yes.

Given the age of these trucks and the low price of the gaskets, yes, i'd recommend getting new ones. They are linked above as well and here.

Front Pipe Gasket90080430362$19.34

@Hokie LX , what are your impressions on the performance and sound of it now?

@Hokie LX , what are your impressions on the performance and sound of it now?

Sound is great! Definitely some drone between 2000-2600rpms. It's not really noticeable when accelerating through that rpm range or around town. It's worst at highway speeds 65-75mph. Not noticeable at 50mph. It is not bad relative to anyone who's owned a sports car with an aftermarket exhaust but it is there where as the stock exhaust is basically silent. Around town the sound is great and really enjoyable. A nice throaty idle which makes me smile sitting at stoplights or in the driveway.

There is definitely a performance increase according to the butt dyno. Especially above 2.5k, truck pulls harder and seems to have more power in general at any rpm. Accelerating from speed is also improved such as passing someone on the highway.

Overall, I am very happy with the addition. I may look into extending the exhaust outlet just under the bumper at an angle similar to the stock exhaust to help with the drone as right now it just points straight down into the ground which reverberates back into the cabin.

Thanks for all the tips, I used just about all of them lol. Got myself a flexi 14mm wrench and as some of you said, it was a requirement. The double-jointed socket extension worked surprisingly well. Didn't strip any nuts nor pull any studs. I also blocked my SAI ports at the same time and used the 98-05 headers, you can see what I did in this thread: 06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/06-07-air-induction-pump-failure-bypass.814912/page-16#post-14138738

Never had such a big gain from just headers before on an engine, this thing feels great! Makes it worth the bloody knuckles. Partial throttle feels really strong now, hardly ever shift out of 5th on the highway now.

I also found no cracks in my OEM manifolds. I noticed they are a two-piece design and the flange that is bolted to the head is independent from the part that seals against the ports. Mine also had grime and corrosion and junk in between the two flanges. I think with age they just develop leaks. Immediately I notice my truck is so much quieter I didn't expect that. 65mph on the highway it is a lot quieter, it was already quiet but now it is silent. Must have been leaking a bunch. Hopefully MPG goes up I noticed the louder my tick got the worse my MPG got. These headers with my Borla exhaust is really similar to OEM, just a tick louder. With the windows up it's as quiet as stock: https://amzn.to/3F2j74x

I also installed this aftermarket crossover pipe which has slightly smoother bends and a little bit bigger diameter at the same time: https://amzn.to/3oa8eH5

jy4cjNO.jpg

0AiknpX.jpg

Last edited:
Well done!
I have twice attempted to replace the driver side and have given up both times. Passenger side was way easier in comparison.

Well done!
I have twice attempted to replace the driver side and have given up both times. Passenger side was way easier in comparison.
I had a lot of trouble on that side too. It's the worst. I ended up removing the nut from the motor mount and lifting the motor as high as possible and I finally was able to get it on. I also removed the steering shaft completely. I also had a lift and a friend @Domofthedead

Thanks for all the tips, I used just about all of them lol. Got myself a flexi 14mm wrench and as some of you said, it was a requirement. The double-jointed socket extension worked surprisingly well. Didn't strip any nuts nor pull any studs. I also blocked my SAI ports at the same time and used the 98-05 headers, you can see what I did in this thread: 06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/06-07-air-induction-pump-failure-bypass.814912/page-16#post-14138738

Never had such a big gain from just headers before on an engine, this thing feels great! Makes it worth the bloody knuckles. Partial throttle feels really strong now, hardly ever shift out of 5th on the highway now.

I also found no cracks in my OEM manifolds. I noticed they are a two-piece design and the flange that is bolted to the head is independent from the part that seals against the ports. Mine also had grime and corrosion and junk in between the two flanges. I think with age they just develop leaks. Immediately I notice my truck is so much quieter I didn't expect that. 65mph on the highway it is a lot quieter, it was already quiet but now it is silent. Must have been leaking a bunch. Hopefully MPG goes up I noticed the louder my tick got the worse my MPG got. These headers with my Borla exhaust is really similar to OEM, just a tick louder. With the windows up it's as quiet as stock: https://amzn.to/3F2j74x

I also installed this aftermarket crossover pipe which has slightly smoother bends and a little bit bigger diameter at the same time: Amazon.com: Stainless Steel Flex Pipe fits: 1998-2007 Lexus LX470 Toyota LandCruiser : Automotive - https://amzn.to/3oa8eH5

Glad I was able to help and you were able to get them installed without much drama!

Well done!

As noted, I gave up my first time also! However, with some tips I detailed here, I was able to get the driver side relatively easily. I also didn't have to remove the steering shaft but that may vary by truck.

I too finally got around installing the DT headers over the weekend. My 01 has about 210K miles now and it's been ticking for quite for some time. Its a southern LC so no real rust. In terms of results, no real proof but I could tell there's a noticeable difference in some power gain from stop to couple gears during acceleration. Haven't really pushed it on a freeway yet but overall very happy to complete this install.

I had prepared as much as I could from all the recommendations. It's been helpful for sure. I did this over the weekend and went slow and finally completed it Monday evening. Took breaks, kid's game, etc. Didn't want to get frustrated. I just tinker with my car on minor things and I don't have any past mechanic experience and I would say if you have patience, I think anyone can do this. Patience is key though. Prior to starting, I did spray and soak all the nuts/bolts with penetrating oil several times for couple days and I think this made it easier.

For me, here's some things I did and didn't do like others:

Driver Side
- Removed engine mount 2 bolts and 1 nut and raise it high enough to allow space to remove and install header (went about 1.5 inch high. Didn't remove anything else to raise the engine such as fan, hoses, etc. It was straight forward. Just went slow to ensure nothing was touching as you raised the engine)
- Removed steering shaft (this gives you more space to remove old and install new headers)
- Unbolted catalytic converter and sensor down the line to move the converter to side and back to give me more space to remove and install header
- Rerouted and zipped tied the O2 sensor line to a new place after installing DT header
- Did not remove oil dipstick shaft (didn't have to at all. For me, plenty of space with this in place)

Passenger Side
- Not much issue removing and installing new header. Plenty of space (compared to driver side) and no other things needs to be removed except the old header. I started with the passenger side and I'm glad I did. It just gave me a better understanding on how to do it in a more easier situation vs. starting from the driver side.

What I did notice is that DT headers are shaped differently. Driver side has a larger footprint and needs more spacing to install vs. passenger side. So, this makes working on the driver side harder because the space itself is limited and the new header is larger than the passenger side.

I also used impact drill with extensions/flex to loosen and/or remove most of the old nuts. Not sure if that's a good thing or not but I tried it and it worked out very well for me. Probably saved me time and stress. Most of the nuts I removed was from underneath the car position or some from wheel well. I never once went from the top/engine bay. Never stripped a nut. Only 2 studs came out with the nut from driver side, so I installed 2 new studs. Didn't replace all the studs. Used regular 6-point sockets I had and never used spline or other kind of special sockets to remove the nuts. When installing new nuts, I used 6 and 12 point tools since it's much easier to screw in new nuts.

When installing the new headers, you have to be patient and creative. Space and angles are the issues. Going small increments on tightening is normal, thus patience is key. Like others, I used every single type of 14mm tools I had to make it work. And not sure how others did it, but for me, there's was no way to tighten all the nuts with torque tool. So, just tightened the nuts based on what I thought the lbs were. Not very scientific but ensure it was tight enough.

Good luck to others thinking about diving into this! I think after you install it, you will be glad you did.

Here's the DT headers (right and left) to show the different shape/design. Passenger side is skinnier and easier to install into a small space vs. driver side.
IMG_1215.jpeg

Here's what I ordered from Toyota dealership before I had to use to install DT
IMG_1478.jpeg

Here's the OE Gasket used:
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg

DT also provides new bolts and nuts for catalytic converter connection
IMG_1489.jpeg

I don't know how you guys were able to torque down the nuts.. after struggling and thinking over a day or so I torqued down one and just tightened as close to that "feel" as possible.

Also ended up using the remflex gaskets provided by dt as I wasn't confident with my clean up on the header surface. Otramm recommended using the remflex on his video comments and I just went with that.

For me, on the driver side I had to reroute my o2 sensor. I had to unclip the connector from the loom off to get it to stretch 1/2 inch longer and decided to route behind the transmission heat shield as the o2 sensor wire was too close to the header.. I hope the wire can handle the heat against the tranny.

For drivers side only: over 4 days total at 2 hours each day just to pace myself as I ran out of swear words each of the day. So 8 hours for me.

Anybody else have the driver's side DT header rub on the upper control arm mount? This bothers me but it's kinda late to do anything about it at this point. This is on an '06 LX.

I did the passenger side myself but took it to a shop for the driver's side. Shop told me I needed motor mounts so I had them put new ones in. He said it was paper thin between the mount and header. But after checking it this morning it's definitely touching (unable to slide sheet of paper through). My concerns are both for heat and vibration...

Edit:
Just occurred to me, what I put a couple of washers on the driver's side motor mount? I'm just not sure much I'll need to raise it and any other issues that might cause. Other suggestions?

20220319_083659.jpg

20220319_084150.jpg

20220319_084142.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom