LX450 Air Conditioning Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check the schraeder valves. Debris may have gotten in there. Leaks can be caused by just checking the system at a buddy's shop.

this one got me good. With the gauges attached everything was good. Then slow leak. I realized it when a heard a little air escape as I removed the cap on one of the ports. Replace these on every job now.

going back a bit, what was the system doing before you took it to your buddies shop? was it doing the same blows cold for a bit, then warm? come back the next day and able to repeat the problem? if cold air comes back at any point after anytime downtime, id say expansion valve. if the cold air is gone for good and the clutch is not spinning when the system comes on, that could be a few different things.

it was blowing warm before going to my buddies shop. I wasn't sure what was wrong with it because I've only owned it for like 2 months and bought it without the AC working.

and then you took it to friends shop, ill now assume he recharged the system, it blew cold on the way home and then/now only blowing warm? if that is all true, it could be any number of things. holding a vacuum for about an hour or more will help tell you if its a big leak.

and then you took it to friends shop, ill now assume he recharged the system, it blew cold on the way home and then/now only blowing warm? if that is all true, it could be any number of things. holding a vacuum for about an hour or more will help tell you if its a big leak.

yes I'm guessing it's a big leak.......

If there's no pressure on the low side does that mean there's no pressure on the high side? I don't want to tear apart the evaporator core if its unsafe.

Generally yes, but try to bleed from each valve to be sure. If you have any doubt, wear eye protection or a face shield when you disconnect pieces of the A/C system.

If there's no pressure on the low side does that mean there's no pressure on the high side? I don't want to tear apart the evaporator core if its unsafe.

When the vehicle has been off for a while the pressure on the high and low sides should roughly equalize. The only way to tell for sure is to have a set of gauges.

Also if you do need to drain the system (to pull out the evaporator for example) don't just start unbolting things. Have your buddy at the AC shop discharge it correctly.

I would recommend adding some dye to the system and adding a small amount of charge and leave it in there for a few days to see if you have any leaks, then proceed from there.

If no pressure and it gets warm, good chance of a leak. A couple years ago that's the issue I had, put a can in with dye and it's cold for about an hour then nothung and couldn't find the leak anywhere. Shop quoted me 1500 for a compressor, and of course I bought every piece to the whole system for half that and replaced myself. During disassembly I found the condenser was leaking at the top and was staying in the rad support and the evap core was also leaking which is why I couldn't see either of them.

Now my ac blows colder than most new cars. Moral of the story, if it needs new parts, just replace everything yourself. Also the vacuum, gauges, and a couple cans of r134a cost less than a recharge service at the shop.

Check your engine temperature/cooling system. If the engine temp gets too high 212F (I think) the A/C will shut off.

If that's not it then troubleshoot as the Service Manual requires.

My LX450 was leaking severely at a seam in the compressor. The compressor was all greasy from the oil leaking out with the refrigerant, and I could actually see it bubbling.

I couldnt find any compressor seal kits to rebuild it, so I vleaned the area and ran a bead of JB Weld around. No more leaks. When I leave for work in a few Ill snap a picture

Here is the picture

IMG_20170721_072809.jpg

you can get a new denso compressor from amazon for around $200 + free shipping

you can get a new denso compressor from amazon for around $200 + free shipping
The clutch on this one slips too, so I plan on replacing the whole thing before next summer but for $6 plus a couple cans of refrigerant, I have A/C.

I would rather spend that $2-300 this year doing the axle rebuild, changing all the fluids, and catching up some other maintenance. Fixing the a/c the right way can wait for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom