LX vs LC which stereo is better? ML vs JBL (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is specs for a Highlander JBL system. Different but you can extrapolate. Like i wrote above, JBL wattage is PEAK. RMS/continuous rating is probably around half.

The 6x9s can go down to around 28 Hz…but probably only useful to about 30-40 Hz. The cargo subwoofer and front door 6x9 speakers represent the BASS of the system.
I'm personally skeptical that there is any useful response in these regions, at least not in the front door speakers on my LX. They rolloff well before 40.

Still think the stock ML stereo sounded good, if a bit bass light. And I didn't know it was bass light until I added the bass, if that makes any sense.

I'll go look at the DSP software and see if it'll output a xover report.

I've always found JBL audio to be "boomy" with the bass. Not a bad thing but expertly tuned I don't think they are, at least what I've been in.

Every brand has some signature sound EQ, and I agree that's what is typical of JBLs products to me. Not that it's a bad thing as it has a place and I have some of their products too. I do enjoy their sound signature for outdoor speakers, BT speakers, and other Toyota cars I've had. It's more a casual listening warmer tone style for me, which also has the benefit of making even bad sources sound good. And I believe the right type of style for a Toyota product.

Lots of talk around watts and power above. That's part of the equation. It takes much less power to drive bandpass speakers to hit hard in narrow frequency ranges. To hit hard with balanced output across the frequency band, and with tighter speaker alignments for good transient response, takes much much more power. That shows in the ML system specs. And it's performance qualities should get judged in a different manner. So if one is simply looking for casual listening with heavy hitting bass, the JBL system is better. The ML can hold it's own and but really chases more critical listening qualities. Which shouldn't be a surprise given the product placement.

What kills me is that my wife doesn't have a ear for any of this. It all sounds the same to her, from her laptop, to the higher end systems I have around the house.

What kills me is that my wife doesn't have a ear for any of this. It all sounds the same to her, from her laptop, to the higher end systems I have around the house.
Not to go OT but...

Lol same here, but with engines. Spouse doesn’t give a flying F- what powers the car while I’m constantly reminding that the V8 engine is glorious and most will likely be gone forever (in new cars at least) within a couple decades. All of our vehicles are V8s, and damnnn sweet ones at that. Spouse knows no difference.

I have owned 7 200 series. 3 LXs and 4 LCs. Let me throw in my two cents. The ML system in the LX is hands down better sounding than the JBL system in the LC. There is no reasonable person who could argue otherwise. Its more speakers, and like @Madtiger said, it is more powerful. The LX system reminds me of the stuff I would have dropped all of my earnings on in high school.

One caveat is that the ML systems before 2016 actually sound BETTER. That would be because Lexus put the giant awful non-touch infotainment screen right where the center sub used to be. Thus, that speaker is smaller and the system has less base in the 2016+ LXs.
Agreed, I don't understand how this is debatable. The JBL is inferior in every way. Not as noticeable with radio or XM but with CDs and hifi downloads it is night and day.

I have noticed that in my LX the HD radio sounds really good, better than any FM I’ve heard in a vehicle. Also, the surround feature really works and isn’t a gimmick. I love that I have a single slot CD player, too. I still listen to CDs plenty.

Welcome to the year 2013 to me, my favorite is that I can stream whatever I want from my phone to the stereo and it stops and resumes hands free as I use the truck, and then I can rewind and/or skip songs from the steering wheel buttons.

I could be wrong but after getting used to jbl system with its muddier but punchier bass the last LX I test drove didnt sound as nice. It sounded a bit flatter and music did not come to life. It felt more like classical music concert hall vs rock/pop concert. Everything was much more refined but lacked oomph. Initially when test driving both I loved the high center stage in LX and preferred it over LC as the highs were incredibly clear.

I use aux cable mainly and fm. Sometimes cds (LC has 6 cd changer in dash), never tried the satellite radio.

Does anyone know how to burn CDs to the hard drive? I swear I’ve looked over the manual more than once and can’t figure it out. Dont we have 30gig hard drives?

Does anyone know how to burn CDs to the hard drive? I swear I’ve looked over the manual more than once and can’t figure it out. Dont we have 30gig hard drives?
You have to have an original CD, no MP3 copies or anything. Insert the CD and when it loads and starts playing you should see a red REC button show up. Hit that, select the tracks you want to download and hit start. You can set it to record normal or high quality. I suggest high quality. You will be limited to about 1000 songs but they will sound much better.

You have to have an original CD, no MP3 copies or anything. Insert the CD and when it loads and starts playing you should see a red REC button show up. Hit that, select the tracks you want to download and hit start. You can set it to record normal or high quality. I suggest high quality. You will be limited to about 1000 songs but they will sound much better.

Woohoo! Thank you! Does it take a while per CD to copy to HD?

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know one could burn CDs on to the HD.

When I bought my LX CPOd, I noticed a few albums on the HD; hated these songs and have always been wondering how those songs got on there. How does one delete songs one no longer wants?

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know one could burn CDs on to the HD.

When I bought my LX CPOd, I noticed a few albums on the HD; hated these songs and have always been wondering how those songs got on there. How does one delete songs one no longer wants?
There should be a button that says Manage Albums. Once your are in there you will have a menu that allows you to delete songs, albums or edit info.

The article does not apply to LC vs. LX system. Both LC and LX have metal tweeter, not silk nor textile. Wattage is wrong Too.

Bottom line: JBL is good. ML is da bomb. :)

That is like saying a Land Cruiser is identical to a RAV4 because both are Toyota’s and both are SUVs…….
Don't think the discussion is about the RAV4, we are comparing two cars that are made in the same Toyota City plant in Japan with different badges and minor differences in accessories, dashboard, and suspension. I think the differences in the audio setup are most likely negligible for the average user between these two trucks.

Don't think the discussion is about the RAV4, we are comparing two cars that are made in the same Toyota City plant in Japan with different badges and minor differences in accessories, dashboard, and suspension. I think the differences in the audio setup are most likely negligible for the average user between these two trucks.
So, you're saying that ML and JBL are basically the same just because they came from same factory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom