LX vs LC which stereo is better? ML vs JBL (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrX

Threads
I'm not a picky audiophile when it comes to car stereos. Just give me clean, good bass and no distortion when cranked.

The ML stereo in my new-to-me LX ROCKS. That said, I recently found out the JBL in the LC is 605 watts versus 450?

I'd have to hear them both. MLs are hit or miss but when good....they're amazing.

My first car was a 1993 Taurus SHO that had a JBL system that was excellent (rest of the car, not so much lol), very clean and clear sound.

I bet the LC's JBL is excellent. Anyone heard them both?

I am not at all impressed with the JBL system. Needs better speakers, but not a lot of options since the OEM speakers are 2 ohm.

I am not at all impressed with the JBL system. Needs better speakers, but not a lot of options since the OEM speakers are 2 ohm.

Sorry to hear that! I figure a JBL with 600 watts would rattle the truck down. The ML does.

I somehow ended up with what seems to be the only non-ML LX. Pretty sure it's the JBL system?
Really bass-y. Mids and treble are thrown together and aren't defined. It's just ok, I mainly miss the clarity from my past ML vehicles.

I somehow ended up with what seems to be the only non-ML LX. Pretty sure it's the JBL system?
Really bass-y. Mids and treble are thrown together and aren't defined. It's just ok, I mainly miss the clarity from my past ML vehicles.

Your non ML in your LX may be Pioneer, at least that's how they did it way back in the day.

My opinion that the ML is hit or miss brings me to my other vehicle. My old LS430 has a base Pioneer setup that sounds better than the ML. ML in the LS430 doesn't have good bass, seems tuned for classical, etc. The "base" Pioneer isn't bad, it's not the best I've ever heard but good enough! However this ML in the new truck is phenomenal.

The LX ML system is phenomenal. My 16’ has an incredible system that is one of my favorite aspects of the car.

The ML Reference in the LX is a great sound system. Lacking a bit in power if you compare it to the current LS but great clarity and very good quality components overall. The system + the heavy sound deadening in the LX makes for a great listening experience when listening to good quality source audio.

NOT JBL. It is the stock Lexus system. Not same as JBL in LC.

I'm not a picky audiophile when it comes to car stereos. Just give me clean, good bass and no distortion when cranked.

The ML stereo in my new-to-me LX ROCKS. That said, I recently found out the JBL in the LC is 605 watts versus 450?

I'd have to hear them both. MLs are hit or miss but when good....they're amazing.

My first car was a 1993 Taurus SHO that had a JBL system that was excellent (rest of the car, not so much lol), very clean and clear sound.

Mark Levinson Reference rates their power at RMS I believe. JBL Synthesis is at max.

So, ML system should have more power than JBL when compared apples to apples.

The speaker arrangement AND spacial technology are very similar b/w the two systems…both are under Harman Kardon mothership company. The major differences (beyond amplifier specs and possible calibration differences) are:

1. ML Reference has a tweeter and midrange in the center channel. Two speakers in one spot. The JBL has only a hybrid midrange-tweet speaker (one speaker).

2. ML Reference has a 3-way system in the rear doors…tweeter, midrange, and mid bass Speakers. JBL only has tweeter and midrange.

3. I think that the REAR cargo speakers are also 2-way system…one tweeter and one midrange on each side of cargo…while JBL has only one hybrid for each side.

Th center channel in the ML is better because it should create better sound from dedicated tweeter and midrange vs. one does-it-all speaker in the JBL. The rear door and cargo differences are minor because both systems use the rear doors (and cargo speakers) as more for fill and ambient sounds. So, even tho ML has dedicated speakers, your ears probably won’t be able to tell much difference. The mid bass speakers in the rear door of the LX probably is the biggest difference because rear passenger should feel slightly more midbass.

Both systems rely on “DSS” principle: Mark Levinson: How Common? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mark-levinson-how-common.1174446/#post-12720925

Last edited:
Have both. Prefer the JBL.
That’s interesting. Why do you say that? On paper at least, ML should have advantage due to slightly better hardware and stronger amp.

For me, the JBL sounds great with the right source. Radio and XM don’t sound that great. But iTunes/Apple Music either streaming via BT or USB sounds great! I still prefer USB over BT. Of course, CD sounds good too.

I use to gut every audio system in every car I've had. Including going down the rabbit hole with full dynamat, fiberglass speaker boxes, MDF sub boxes with sealed/ported/various alignments. Big 3 wiring upgrade, caps, big amps, big outputs. The LX is the only car I've not touched.

Not to say it's the end all or be all, but the LX ML plays in a different arena and is dialed to a pretty high level. One thing I've learned to appreciate over the years, is not just raw watts or output, but the finer things of staging, clarity, alignment, nuance, and balance. I find most typical consumer systems to be tuned hot or sporty, to lend some perceived audio excitement. They're dialed for a different type of listener. It sounds louder and more raucious, with a thumping narrow bandpass bass note, and muddy transient/attack performance. That to me is typical of Toyota JBL systems I've had in the 4Runner, Rav4, Camry, and loaner cars I've had. Like consumer grade sound bars or BT speakers. Tuned for casual listening for the typical consumer. FM or satellite can sound good on these types of systems as they emphasize the good and mask the bad.

The ML system in the LX is a finer instrument.

Con first is that it's still a factory effort with solid power, but not superfluous power that is typical of an aftermarket system. Now that my car has more mods, and AT tires, it's harder to appreciate audiophile qualities at speed because the noise floor is higher. Where the EQing of a consumer type system may have an advantage. But parked and give it a great source, especially CDs where it is fed through a high quality DAC and audio path, and the sucker sings. One thing I do enjoy is it's real surround abilities. My kids often watch their kid movies on roadtrips, and I judge the movie by the soundtrack. The ML system is impressive for this.

I personally don't like audio systems that color the music with its own signature, to lend "excitement". The ML system is balanced and transparent, much more faithfully reproducing the source as it was intended. Balanced highs and lows, with strong vocal performance. Close your eyes and there's actually a sound stage to speak of, and not just generic surround. Percussive bass, like snares actually attack in the bass and mid-range, both time aligned, while maintaining clarity of other notes. Qualities of an audiophile type system actually come through.

Yet systems like these, can perform worse for bad inputs as it exposes all the good and bad. Which is why it's critical to feed it a quality source. I personally can't listen to FM or satellite as the quality just kills the experience for me on any system. Like someone spoiled on fine coffee or wine, it's hard to enjoy normal systems again. The notes and overtones one finds satisfying is different than the mainstream, so depending where one lies, there might be a different preference.

Last edited:
NOT JBL. It is the stock Lexus system. Not same as JBL in LC.
Interesting, have any more information on this? Not a lot of stuff on non-MLs here or on the internet in general. Always assumed they just used the same system from the LCs.

Interesting, have any more information on this? Not a lot of stuff on non-MLs here or on the internet in general. Always assumed they just used the same system from the LCs.
Like above, nonML systems are usually Pioneer generic stuff from Japan. But sorry, i don’t know much more than this.

I have a 09 LX with ML. Honestly I can't tell if it "sounds good." I only listen to radio and the occasional XM when it's free. Anyone have ideas how I can listen to higher quality audio? There is a aux input female jack and a HDD. Is it possible to connect my ipod or listen to mp3s?

I used to have a 2010 Acura TL; Acura's ELS sound system was top notch especially when I listened to the sample ELS CD and some MP3s I had on USB flash drive.

That’s interesting. Why do you say that? On paper at least, ML should have advantage due to slightly better hardware and stronger amp.
The JBL has the stronger amp. 605 watts vs 450 watts.

JBL sounds warmer to me. I have Yamaha DSP and Infinity Kappa floor standing speakers that sound similar.

The JBL has the stronger amp. 605 watts vs 450 watts.

JBL sounds warmer to me. I have Yamaha DSP and Infinity Kappa floor standing speakers that sound similar.
JBL actually has weaker amp. My guess is that JBL probably sounds warmer and more bassy than the ML which is tuned for more balance.

I don’t know the answer here re stereos, but my first car was a 92 Taurus SHO with a 5 speed and your post brought back some awesome memories! That car was so fun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom