LX vs LC which stereo is better? ML vs JBL (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JBL actually has weaker amp. My guess is that JBL probably sounds warmer and more bassy than the ML which is tuned for more balance.
No it does not.

C9D8EC7D-D312-40C9-84E1-277229CDB162.png

0C2A8754-41E5-42E3-8D80-2966EE6130AD.png

Read my post above. ML amps are always rated at RMS since beginning of time (when ML and Lexus joined forces). JBL is rated at max/peak power. At max, my guess is that ML Reference amp is probably around 800-900 watts max. ML amps also traditionally have very low THD relative to other car amps.

And wattage is extremely over-rated anyways…either for home audio or car audio. You want CLEAN power…and ML amps are clean (even in automobile application).

Last edited:
Read my post above. ML amps are always rated at RMS since beginning of time (when ML and Lexus joined forces). JBL is rated at max/peak power. At max, my guess is that ML Reference amp is probably around 800-900 watts max. ML amps also traditionally have very low THD relative to other car amps.

And wattage is extremely over-rated anyways…either for home audio or car audio. You want CLEAN power…and ML amps are clean (even in automobile application).
Ok. Well I have both and can tell you the JBL system is substantially more powerful than the ML.

I have a custom JL and Alpine system in my 4Runner so I am not inexperienced in this space.

Clean or not, there is not a big sound quality difference between the two. Car audio systems are all kind of meh because of the sound stages and reflections from glass.

I have owned 7 200 series. 3 LXs and 4 LCs. Let me throw in my two cents. The ML system in the LX is hands down better sounding than the JBL system in the LC. There is no reasonable person who could argue otherwise. Its more speakers, and like @Madtiger said, it is more powerful. The LX system reminds me of the stuff I would have dropped all of my earnings on in high school.

One caveat is that the ML systems before 2016 actually sound BETTER. That would be because Lexus put the giant awful non-touch infotainment screen right where the center sub used to be. Thus, that speaker is smaller and the system has less base in the 2016+ LXs.

I really like the ML system. regardless of the power specs, it get's plenty loud enough for me, and has incredible dynamic range. I listen to all kinds of music (well, my family listens to all kinds of music) and it is never disappointing.

By far, the best way to experience the system is to forget about the radio and XM and anything mega-compressed. Instead, put in a CD of a record produced at one of the better studios in the 70s where the sonic range is much wider than anything produced since. With these, you can really appreciate what the system can do. While I may not be fan of all of these, they are all really amazing. Obviously there are many great things you can listen to, but these all work well rolling down a FS road with the volume a couple of notches below uncomfortable 😂:

Eagles - Hotel California
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Marvin Gaye - What's Going on?
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Stevie Wonder - Innervisons
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Van Morrison - Moondance
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
The Velvet Underground - Loaded

Ok. Well I have both and can tell you the JBL system is substantially more powerful than the ML.

I have a custom JL and Alpine system in my 4Runner so I am not inexperienced in this space.

Clean or not, there is not a big sound quality difference between the two. Car audio systems are all kind of meh because of the sound stages and reflections from glass.
In college, i dabbled in car stereo installs. For most modern systems, including our JBL and ML Reference, the sound stages and reflections are all calibrated with fuzzy logic (or whatever terms they use these days). This is why i always prefer OEM car audio over aftermarket stuff...of course, OEMs can put out some crappy systems no doubt. But the higher end OEMs systems are pretty well balanced and tuned IMHO.

I only have a little seat tiime in the TLC, but I found the 2009 ML system only fine. I have quite a few DVD-audio discs from a previous car, and these can be very good masters, but the ML was missing volume and bass for my use and based on my recollection of these in the other vehicle (a stereo stock Acura RL).

After the ML amp failed and I finally got a decent tune on the replacement dsp, sub, and amps, the ML head unit makes a fine source for a much improved systems. So I guess the speakers are good?

I suggest for all LX owners that they run not walk toward replacing the sub and adding a real sub amp. It is not hard to do and makes a very big difference. Think how much time you spend in the rig driving to and for to adventureland. It's a good investment!

I have owned 7 200 series. 3 LXs and 4 LCs. Let me throw in my two cents. The ML system in the LX is hands down better sounding than the JBL system in the LC. There is no reasonable person who could argue otherwise. Its more speakers, and like @Madtiger said, it is more powerful. The LX system reminds me of the stuff I would have dropped all of my earnings on in high school.

One caveat is that the ML systems before 2016 actually sound BETTER. That would be because Lexus put the giant awful non-touch infotainment screen right where the center sub used to be. Thus, that speaker is smaller and the system has less base in the 2016+ LXs.
ML before 2016 had a subwoofer in the center up front??? That’s the center channel…it is still there on 2016+. ML has never put a subwoofer up front in the center on any SUV.

Subwoofer for Mark Levinson LX and JBL in LC200 consists of 3. TWO front door woofers (6x9) and ONE cargo subwoofer. These 3 speakers add together to produce bass throughout cabin. The LX has (very) slightly more oomph because it has addition mid-bass speakers in the rear lower doors.

I have direct freq control with my dsp and can say the door 6x9s don't contribute below 70hz or so. Not that that is a bad thing. They certainly aren't in the 20 to 50 hz range is all. I removed the stock sub before doing any tuning with the dsp, so I don't have a value on the stock bass cutoff, but looking at it, I think mid 40s.

I prefer the ML. It's much crisper and clearer than my 16 LC. However, you do have to turn the volume up over 30 to make the sound come alive.

I'm not a picky audiophile when it comes to car stereos. Just give me clean, good bass and no distortion when cranked.

The ML stereo in my new-to-me LX ROCKS. That said, I recently found out the JBL in the LC is 605 watts versus 450?

I'd have to hear them both. MLs are hit or miss but when good....they're amazing.

My first car was a 1993 Taurus SHO that had a JBL system that was excellent (rest of the car, not so much lol), very clean and clear sound.

I bet the LC's JBL is excellent. Anyone heard them both?
They could be identical with ML/JBL branded for the LX/LC. Harman International Industries, Incorporated owns both companies. Harman markets its products under various brands, including AKG, AMX, Arcam,[6] Bang & Olufsen Automotive, Becker, BSS Audio, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer.

ML before 2016 had a subwoofer in the center up front??? That’s the center channel…it is still there on 2016+. ML has never put a subwoofer up front in the center on any SUV.

Subwoofer for Mark Levinson LX and JBL in LC200 consists of 3. TWO front door woofers (6x9) and ONE cargo subwoofer. These 3 speakers add together to produce bass throughout cabin. The LX has (very) slightly more oomph because it has addition mid-bass speakers in the rear lower doors.
Ok a larger center channel. It certainly gave off some base. The LX has more than slightly more bass.

I have direct freq control with my dsp and can say the door 6x9s don't contribute below 70hz or so. Not that that is a bad thing. They certainly aren't in the 20 to 50 hz range is all. I removed the stock sub before doing any tuning with the dsp, so I don't have a value on the stock bass cutoff, but looking at it, I think mid 40s.
For music in general, most OEM high end car audio system subwoofer rarely goes below 40 Hz. Home theater subs go way below because of car explosions and bombs. Music does not need to go that low…except maybe hard hitting rap songs but that would require big big subwoofer and big enclosures to produce that bass at that low Hz.

They could be identical with ML/JBL branded for the LX/LC. Harman International Industries, Incorporated owns both companies. Harman markets its products under various brands, including AKG, AMX, Arcam,[6] Bang & Olufsen Automotive, Becker, BSS Audio, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer.
That is like saying a Land Cruiser is identical to a RAV4 because both are Toyota’s and both are SUVs…….

For music in general, most OEM high end car audio system subwoofer rarely goes below 40 Hz. Home theater subs go way below because of car explosions and bombs. Music does not need to go that low…except maybe hard hitting rap songs but that would require big big subwoofer and big enclosures to produce that bass at that low Hz.
I agree that most stock car systems don’t get very deep. Stock car audio is constrained at the BOM, by space, by marketing, by weight etc. Even a luxury car stereo like the ML is constrained.

there is a lot of ‘music’ content below 60hz. example an acoustic double bass can play 33hz c.

I’m no audio snob, and I don’t recommend trying to replace the ML house amp, but adding a competent sub in the existing enclosure, and and amp/sub dsp will make you sit up and say ah, across all content.

Wow! Look at all of this feedback! I have heard how great H8MUD is over the years and I've only been a member for several weeks and love it!!

I just posted a basic question and people are getting into words and terms that are far beyond me, hah. I have to disagree about the Acura ELS, though. I had a 2006 TL and the stereo sucked. Nothing special at all. The Bose in my ancient Yukon is very good. The ML reminds me of it, but louder.

I have 2015 MDX with ELS. Clear but way too bright. Harsh in the highs. The tweeter has no control. Bass is also “directional”…in that it comes only from the cargo area…weak for front passengers but decent for rear passengers. This is where i think ML/JBL ”distributed subwoofer system” works better.

ELS tuning is also not as good. I hear vocals and mid-frequencies from from my knees because the midrange speaker is on the door near your knees. Soundstage is side bias AND low.

So, yeah, between 2015 MDX ELS vs. 2019 LC JBL, i much prefer Land Cruiser.

I have a 09 LX with ML. Honestly I can't tell if it "sounds good." I only listen to radio and the occasional XM when it's free. Anyone have ideas how I can listen to higher quality audio? There is a aux input female jack and a HDD. Is it possible to connect my ipod or listen to mp3s?

I used to have a 2010 Acura TL; Acura's ELS sound system was top notch especially when I listened to the sample ELS CD and some MP3s I had on USB flash drive.
Get a 1/8" stereo male to male cable, then plug in your phone or Ipod. Will sound a lot better. Not CD or DVD level but a lot better. If you subscribe to some of the higher level music services, like Amazon HD or similar, you will really notice a difference over FM and especially XM-Sirius.
You can also download your CDs on to the HDD in high quality MP3 formats and it sounds pretty good. Library's are good sources for CDs if you don't have any.
Once you go this route, you will likely not want to ever go back to FM or XM.

I really like the ML system. regardless of the power specs, it get's plenty loud enough for me, and has incredible dynamic range. I listen to all kinds of music (well, my family listens to all kinds of music) and it is never disappointing.

By far, the best way to experience the system is to forget about the radio and XM and anything mega-compressed. Instead, put in a CD of a record produced at one of the better studios in the 70s where the sonic range is much wider than anything produced since. With these, you can really appreciate what the system can do. While I may not be fan of all of these, they are all really amazing. Obviously there are many great things you can listen to, but these all work well rolling down a FS road with the volume a couple of notches below uncomfortable 😂:

Eagles - Hotel California
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Marvin Gaye - What's Going on?
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Stevie Wonder - Innervisons
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Van Morrison - Moondance
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
The Velvet Underground - Loaded

Awesome. Many of those tracks often show up in audiophile circles as demo or test tracks. Seems like you might have been hanging around some of them.

Bad thing as it's potentially another very expensive hobby. Mod this, upgrade that...

Awesome. Many of those tracks often show up in audiophile circles as demo or test tracks. Seems like you might have been hanging around some of them.

Bad thing as it's potentially another very expensive hobby. Mod this, upgrade that...

Luckily, choosing good music is a cheap mod 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom