LX 470 - Partially smoked-chromed grill: has anybody done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw the below image, posted by another member on this site, and asked him what he did to his inner-horizontal chrome pieces of his grill. He told me he hadn't done anything and it's just the lighting of the picture. That being said, I'm interested in converting my grill to a smoked-chrome or shadow-chrome. Just curious if any members on this site have done it and if so, do you have any pictures you can post or link? Thx.
20191008_114104-jpg.2102149

I made an attempt at photoshopping the grill from stock to smoked below.

Stock:
8Zj3BJF.jpg

Photoshopped:
KU4x6ud.jpg

I didn't "smoke" mine, but did paint the inner section black and left the outer ring and the logo chrome. It looks very similar to the picture you posted as the inspiration. Pics in my build thread. I think it's a great look and is easy to do. I know there are "dark" or black chrome spray paints on the market you could use instead of satin black like I did.

you are correct it is darker on the 2002, however I have not done any mods, I never really paid attention to it
20200120_192608.jpg

I went for an all matte black look. I think it works well. :)

87583B4A-D978-4C0C-92FC-1AEBE33E21D7.jpeg

Thx for the responses guys. I think I'm going to buy another grill like mine and try it out. I'm not interested in going the plastidip way because I want a transparent product that will still show the chrome, just make it a dark chrome (but not too dark). I think it's going to look bad to the bone. We will see. I'll post before and after pics if I pull it off.

Thx for the responses guys. I think I'm going to buy another grill like mine and try it out. I'm not interested in going the plastidip way because I want a transparent product that will still show the chrome, just make it a dark chrome (but not too dark). I think it's going to look bad to the bone. We will see. I'll post before and after pics if I pull it off.
FYI, that is a translucent plastidip spray.

If you’re getting a new grill anyway to experiment, why not look for a pre-03 grill that’s already done from the factory? You might get lucky.

*did not fully read! Apologies. You are looking for a smoked out chrome look? I was not aware the pre 2003 were like that. 2004 Land cruiser had matte Gray/silver inner grill. Was just a few shades lighter than my picture below

For all the Gold Package haters :D

Sanded, primed(plastic adhesion promoter) and painted,
Duplicolor 'Dark Bronzemist Metallic' - Chrome frame
Duplicolor 'Graphite Mica' - interior

Front bumper - Toyota Black to match
Depo Headlights per 'CrazytheGod' ebay

P_20200121_171949_1.jpg

Last edited:
If you’re getting a new grill anyway to experiment, why not look for a pre-03 grill that’s already done from the factory? You might get lucky.
That's likely my best option, but I'm going to give it a shot with the smoked chrome. I've always loved how smoked chrome looks and if I can pull off the results of my photoshop then I'll be happier than the pre-03 grills. Worst case scenario, I go with the pre-03 grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom