LX 450 Inbound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Close call, but armed with the info in the archives and the advice you all provided (thanks!!) , I have secured the vehicle I was looking for - via Ebay. '97, lockers, 93K miles, one owner, looks real clean, $16.5K. Buying it from Lexus of Ft Myers Fl, same dealer that sold it new and has done all the required service - and more, right down to wiper blades and tires. I'm delighted. Picking it up week after next and will drive it back out to SoCal. I called Slee today - unfortunately he may not have sliders available for installation there during my window to stop in. It would have never occurred to me to look at a Lexus without this group/forum - thanks again all. BigMac - CAPT, USN reporting aboard.

Nice! Congrats! You bought a high quality rig! Now wheel it!!! :D

BigMac,
From your description, that sounds like the optimum used FZJ80. Latest model, relatively low mileage, lockers, exceptionally maintained by a Lexus dealer, very good price IMHO.

Ya done good!

Hit me with a PM if your return trip travel plans have you staying in Albuquerque. Maybe we can down a couple of Bloodingtons with C-Dan and some local cruiserheads.
-B-

Way to go BigMac!
cool030.gif

If you time it right, you could swing through Moab on the way home. :D

Cap'n Mac,

Cool, Re Beo's post, head our way.....

Do not spill coffee (esp NAVY coffee) in the Woffer... :D

Regards....Dan

Go big    N

Ah, another lx450 8). Wheel outnumber them soon ;).

Now all you need is a lift, sliders,front and rear bumpers, tires.... :D

I hope the prior owner left a big roll of $100s under the rear seats. That's the only way I could fully outfit this rig in one swell foop. Sliders and OME suspension are top priorities, given the kind of mostly rutted dirt road & trail driving I do as a hunter. Bumpers, etc., later. Speaking of which - any opinions on the bumpers with an integral trailer hitch receiver? And which stand-alone, bolt-on, trailer hitch is best? My towing requirements are minimal, but I do need a 2" receiver. Thanks, BigMac

Cap,

I'm suprised that it does not have a hitch platform already.
The factory hitch was very nice. I say "was" because it is now discontinued. However, many of our bretheren often remove said platforms and stow them for future "Dog robbing" shall we say? It is very reasonable to believe that an enteprising Naval officer would be able ro recover one when it "surfaces"...........

Regards....Dan

BTW...Thank you for your service to our country.......

Mac -

The general consensus appears to go with the Kaymar rear bumper with the integrated receiver - at least for "expedition" style rigging (as opposed to rock climbing, technical trail running, etc).

Although an obvious "either/or" selection, if you decide to use a separate hitch, I have had good luck on two different 80s with the DrawTite hitch (#41015 fits the 80 frame). It is relatively inexpensive, very easy to bolt on, and they also have a OEM replacement harness (#18357) that is also a simple plug in.

Good luck with the new rig!

-R-

Ron - Thanks for the tip. I think the "expedition" mind set is much more in tune with my intended use. I like the Kaymar integrated approach - seems like it will give better ground clearance than a bolt-on hitch below a bumper, and saves some money too boot. BigMac

bigmac-I was wondering if you might know my uncle, he is the Inspector General for the US Navy. ???
I also appreciate the priceless service you perform for all of us. Good luck with your trip back and a bumper. Hopefully slee will have the sliders ready! :)

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I'm thinking of getting an LX450 myself. Cruiser's are too expensive up here in Canada because they only sell the lexus. I'm hoping that some soccer mom is now upgrading. Anyway 2 questions to the LX owners out there:

1) colors available back in 96-97. Did they offer it in red or something other than the soccer mom two-tone or champange or white?

2) Can rip of the running boards and put on cruiser mad flaps? I'm be ripping the boards off on rocks.

3) I assume that I can get it lifted up a bit and in the end be just as a good as a cruiser.

Ok, that's three quetions. Thanks for you help guys.

Benie,

> 1) colors available back in 96-97. Did they offer it in red or something other than the soccer mom two-tone or champange or white?

All LX's in US markets are two-tone. Colors (body - not the cladding trim) that I could collect are: pear white, tan (light gold), dark green, pearl black

> 2) Can rip of the running boards and put on cruiser mad flaps? I'm be ripping the boards off on rocks.

I'm not sure, but looks like they are doable - However, all cruiser flaps have 'Land Cruiser' embossed on it - the LX's have none.

> 3) I assume that I can get it lifted up a bit and in the end be just as a good as a cruiser.

Well, if the plushed up interior & body cladding + more likely diff. locks makes the LX's any less offroad capable than the LC's then I don't know what to say...I do agree that the softer springs on the LX's (which do sag more than stock LC's springs overtime) is the weak point but you'll probably OME it anyway :)

Good luck finding one!
Frank.

CAPT,

Congrats on the purchase. I just found an '97 80 for my brother and he loves it. I'm constantly looking for one myself now. On another note, I was wondering if you knew my Dad, Larry Becker, a fellow naval aviator Class of '77? Where did you go to school? I won't hold it against you too much if you graduated anywhere else other than the BOAT SCHOOL 8)!!!

Chuck
aka - "ENS BECKER"
Class of 2002

PS - I fly ships :D

Here is a pic that answers your running board question. They are slee sliders and front cruiser mud flaps from Jay Marks toyota in Houston Tx.

And here is one lifted with OME J springs. WAY better ride and handling than stock with any OME set up.
Sean

Benie

Welcome from another Canadian and a LX450 owner  :beer:.  I think most of your questions have been answered.  During my search, I mostly found the pearl colour (what I bought and now quite like), a few gold, one green and no black.

I planning on doing some off roading with a local group and my intent is to take the running boards and flaps off for this event.  It looks like they should just unbolt - I hit most of the bolts today with WD40 to start to loosen them.

As others have mentioned OME is completely doable, I'm waiting until my stock shocks need replacement and would also like to upgrade to an ARB bumper.

Where are you located?

Cheers, Hugh

CDN_cruiser, as you can see I have a black one. I live in Fernie, B.C. and bought it last spring with 79,000 km. Have done all the mods since then. Were are you located? The running board removal is pretty easy, Take the front plasticy peice off first.
Regards, Sean.

Sean,

Very cool looking rig.
Congratulations!

Regards

Alvaro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom