LT285/65R18 KO2's and Chains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interesting discussion about chain types and the California vehicle code, but maybe better suited to a different thread.

Can we please stay on topic?

Thanks.

This is a common misconception. M+S means that it is a snow tire. Period. Stop.
I have had this discussion in BC quite often and now it is on the road signs. And from your Cal-Trans website

SNOW TIRES
The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows:
"A 'snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewalls.
Is that not what I said? I just happened to use "snow/mountain designation" instead of M+S.

All interested in this topic should scan through my testing done a while back "Tire chains on a 200?". As I mentioned earlier, I would not install tire chains on the front of a 200 if you are going to install over size tires. (Stock is 31 inch dia). I am still running on 32.25 dia KO2 LT275/65-18 with 1.25 inch spacers now on OEM wheels on my 2011 just for the winter and the same tire in a 33.25 in the summer when I need more clearance on trail rides. There is more room around the UCA and spring support, and there is less clearance now at the rear mud flap and front plastic fender liner were the air dam attaches. This is a result of a wider arc from the wheel spacers. I think .75 wheels spacers may do the trick to allow for enough clearance only for 32 dia tires but I have not convinced myself to cut my studs off yet.

I wish I had better news for you "gaijin" but Toyota chose cosmetics over adaptability when they designed the front end.

If some are wondering why we want to install chains on the front or in addition to the rear is because of the increased ability to steer in adverse condition. Driving over the pass with chains on is not the same as off road ice and snow. Try to imagine putting on the best mud tires you could find and installing them only on the rear axle. Now put a set of bald highway of the same dia on the front tires. Now you get to drive across a muddy field, on a hill side and with lots of turns and you get to go fast cuz its a rental. No, you could not do the course in reverse! My imagination was having fun... Chains allow you to steer/climb up and out of a ditch or rut.

Small 31" dia stock tires and "S" clearance light duty chains have been run on the front but that is not your question.

I hope this info helps. Send me a PM if any one wants and we can talk on the phone some time.

Not looking good for chains in the front. Problem areas would be near the UCA and KDSS arm, as well as the front and back of the tire when turned. and with limited driveway space to maneuver this isn’t even all the way against the steering stop. Harder to get a measuring tape into the relevant areas but I improvised where I could.

For the record I do have the 10mm toyota strut spaces installed. Don’t think it would make much of a difference.

These tires JUST fit without rubbing. I think chains are going to cause damage.

I’m sorry, I thought that you said that a tire without the snow/mountain designation wasn’t considered a snow tire. My M+S tires don’t have the snow/mountain designation but they are snow tires. My bad.

I’m sorry, I thought that you said that a tire without the snow/mountain designation wasn’t considered a snow tire. My M+S tires don’t have the snow/mountain designation but they are snow tires. My bad.

In Oregon the snowflake symbol will allow passage through most conditions unless chains are required for all vehicles. M+S tires must be on a 4wd vehicle to meet this standard. So M+S is not exactly the same as the snowflake, at least for passage in some states.

There are hundreds if not thousands of other places to debate this. The guy that started the thread (and has helped MANY users here with tire pressure math by the way) expressed his clear desire to keep this on topic.. that is will chains clear when mounted to a very specific model and size of tire.

I think it will be super tight. I run 265/60 R18 Hakka 7’s on my ‘13 LX. I’m using theses chains for off roading:
I can run them on all 4 wheels but it’s tight. I tried the “ladder” style and had a hard time getting them on tight enough to not slap the inside rear of my front wheel well. Not sure the difference in suspension clearance between the LX and LC and I’m running OEM 2010 LC 18” rims. I have enough room on the medial side near the UCAs where it it tight is rear of the wheel well same as others have shown.

Looks way too tight. There's no chance for front chains given the clearances.

@gaijin , are you considering switching tires from your current 285/70R17 in your signature to 285/65R18s? At least for chains, both have very similar overall dimensions so won't make a difference. Wondering why you're switching?

@coleAK , wow, those chains are pricey! They must work well, but alas, they don't come in the size I need.

@gaijin , are you considering switching tires from your current 285/70R17 in your signature to 285/65R18s? At least for chains, both have very similar overall dimensions so won't make a difference. Wondering why you're switching?

@coleAK , wow, those chains are pricey! They must work well, but alas, they don't come in the size I need.
Wow they are I didnt pay attention to the price now. I got mine 4-5 years ago. I think i paid ~$250-300 for a set of 4.

I’ve only had them on 3 or 4 times. But when i needed them I really needed them.

No, I am not considering switching tires from my current LT285/70R17 KO's in my signature to LT285/65R18's - I don't think they'd fit 🤣

I have been considering for awhile about changing from the OEM P285/60R18 Bridgestones to LT285/65R18 KO2's.

Then I could explore more radical tires on the RW's when they are due for renewal - maybe the LT285/70R17 KM3's. Since whenever I buy a full set of BFG's a new version is issued, maybe after I get the KO2's the KO3's will come out and I can put them on the RW's.

But all that is a topic for a different discussion, in a different thread, at a different time.

Thanks again to @bloc for the very helpful info - all I need going forward right now.

HTH

Ok, read this entire thread, A LOT of discussion. I Have LT285/60/18KO2’s on O offset KMC rims and 2” Lift. I KNOW I have plenty of room for chains, but back to what I though was the original question…what chain fits the KO2?? I tried 2 different sizes last season, neither fit, and barely got out of a ticket in Mammoth because I wasn’t carrying any. Anyone actually find a chain/cables that fit LT285/60/18KO2’s?

The unanimous consensus on this board is, and has been for some time, that the LT285/65R18 BFG KO2's on the OEM 18" +60mm offset wheels will fit without modification of any kind to the stock LC200 - i.e. no rubbing.

I have been unable to find any reference, however, to the use of these oversize tires with chains.

We know Toyota approves chains for use on the stock 285/60R18 tires on the OEM 18" wheels (rear only), but can chains be used on the larger LT285/65R18 tires on the OEM 18" wheels.

Since I will most probably have to use chains, albeit only occasionally, my tire decision between the LT285/60R18 and LT285/65R18 KO2's boils down to whether or not I can use chains with the larger tires.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts to share?

Much appreciated.

Edit: I am talking about a stock 2013 LC200 - no lift, stock suspension, stock 18" wheels.
Hey @gaijin I can attest that chains and cables fit in the wheel well for the rear - which is where they belong as you stated, not sure why people were talking about the front. I'm in SoCal - 100's of trips to Mammoth in a 100 and 200, only put chains on 1x, but have had to prove I had them 30+ times. I just carry my old one's and maxtraxx just in case. Last winner and tried 3 different sizes from two different companies, and never found a set that fit the 285/60R18 KO2's, Did anyone give you a size that fit? Thanks in advance!

Hey @gaijin I can attest that chains and cables fit in the wheel well for the rear - which is where they belong as you stated, not sure why people were talking about the front. I'm in SoCal - 100's of trips to Mammoth in a 100 and 200, only put chains on 1x, but have had to prove I had them 30+ times. I just carry my old one's and maxtraxx just in case. Last winner and tried 3 different sizes from two different companies, and never found a set that fit the 285/60R18 KO2's, Did anyone give you a size that fit? Thanks in advance!

I wound up going with a set of TRD 17" RW wheels and LT285/70R17 tires - no problem finding chains for them, and no problem using them on the rears. Kept my OEM 18" wheels with P285/60R18 tires, and again, no problem finding a set of chains for them - haven't had to use them yet, but test fit with no problems and carry them just in case I have to show I have them.

I wound up going with a set of TRD 17" RW wheels and LT285/70R17 tires - no problem finding chains for them, and no problem using them on the rears. Kept my OEM 18" wheels with P285/60R18 tires, and again, no problem finding a set of chains for them - haven't had to use them yet, but test fit with no problems and carry them just in case I have to show I have them.
Thanks for quick response, what brand of chains did you use on your 17's? Maybe it's a brand issue, because Peerless didn't even come close to fitting, too big or too small.

Thanks for quick response, what brand of chains did you use on your 17's? Maybe it's a brand issue, because Peerless didn't even come close to fitting, too big or too small.

I went with the Security Chain Company SZ462 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain. See them here on Amazon: Tire Chains

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom