LSD in the front???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Has anyone put a Toyota (pulled a rear led and placed it in the front) LSD in the front diff? If so, how did it perform, was the installation easy.

I only ask as i have a spare lsd and thought it may work like a locker in the front but have some more give and not be has harsh on the driveline.

That is where an lsd belongs imo

Ya I think LSD can be used as a suppository.

Ya I think LSD can be used as a suppository.

I suppose so...but then you may as well shove it up your arse for all the good it'll do you....

I was wondering about the exact same thing!! I have recently acquired a mostly stock 1990 FJ62. It is a daily driver but I do a decent amount of off roading. I am definitely going to put an ARB locker in the rear but I was also considering something for up front and a LSD sounds perfect (in theory). What are your thoughts? I would imagine that seasoned wheelers on here who have had or currently have 60 series trucks would know more than someone like me who is just now joining the pack. Feedback will be considered. Thanks ahead of time!

Here is my opinion. It is just that, my opinion.

I've wheeled for many years. My 40 had front and rear ARBs and my 80s both have factory front / read lockers. The rear locker is way more useful that the front. I don't use my front all that often. I would definitely put a locker (not limited slip) in rear if I wheeled a rig. The whole auto vs. selectable is another argument. Both work very well.

For the front, if you get to the point where you are needing something in the front, I would then put in a selectable locker in the front. My thought is when you need traction aid in the front, why have a partial aid? Limited slip = limited traction.

I will throw something else out there. If this is your daily driver rig, and you don't have a backup ride, then I can't imagine doing that difficult a trail where you would need a front locker. At least I wouldn't. Doing hard wheeling in a rig you rely on to get to work is beyond my level of comfort. Again, JMHO.

Years ago I had the great idea of putting a LSD in the front diff of my Bronco. Ford 9" LSD rear, so why not, right? It was awfull to say the least. It made the already squirrely Bronco practically un-drivable in mud and snow. After that, I would never consider anything other than a selectable locker, E, air, cable, whatever in the front. I'll take open front before LSD front.

Last edited:
I had Auburn LSDs in both pumpkins for a while. I now have ARB air lockers. If you have 4wd locked in the front lsd tend to “search” on dirt as it locks and unlocks wheels. The back does the same but you donot feel it through the steering. if you hold the steering loosely and don’t freak out it works well on washboard dirt roads. Where it shines is in sand or loose rock. Not so much on ledges etc. Unless you do a lot of sand or something like that I’d probably not do a front lsd.

I really like LSD on the rear of a vehicle. But it's completely based on use. Not off-road heavy wheeling, but the kind of traction you need pulling a boat off a slippery grade, or going up a snow covered hill. Backing into a yard on grass that is wet...

So my cruiser is open diff, and I get stuck in 2wd, all the time. Doing simple things like navigating in my yard, just parking... or on snow. It requires me to get out lock the hubs and use 4wd.

I had a pick up with an electronic locking diff, it would do the same but I could lock it and drive with out going into 4wd.

I have a van and an excursion both with LSD. For everyday driving on regular slippery stuff they win hands down. I don't want to live in 4wd, (the van is 2wd anyhow) and they can climb slippery hills and function much better.

I would put an LSD into the front of a cruiser, but it all depends on use. If it's rutted back roads and occasional muddy areas LSD is great.

The one comment I need to make is winter driving. An open diff is safer for highway driving in 2wd. When an LSD or locker losses traction it can make the vehicle spin out of control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom