LS Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife asked, after she drove it why it was so slow? I explained to her that our tractor has as much hp as it does, and if that’s not bad enough it has a bus transmission that’s sucking mega hp from that tractor motor. She suggested it should have a v8 like her Lexus, I said yes baby your right. That worked well later that evening! Now how to get her to pay for it😗

Have her talk to my wife, she's helped a couple wives "see the light" over the years :)

Take it from the Aussie's if you wont take my word. They prize the LS over most of the available Toyota diesels when doing a swap.
Yeah nah...not sure where you get this from...there's a reason I can buy a reasonable FJ60 for 5 or 6 grand whereas I'd have to pay 15+ for a decent HJ61, can get an FZJ80 for 10k with lockers, 37s and all the rest of the 20k parts bill whereas for a clean 1HDFT powered 80 the going rate is well into the 30 grands. Heck, Toyota doesn't sell a 70 series that isn't diesel here, and I've seen 1 or 2 petrol (gas) 200 series here, and thousands of diesels.

Diesel is king here because of fuel consumption, a lot of outback servos don't sell petrol.
There's not a lot of love for 2H/1HZ because they're gutless and slow, but I don't think you'll find a HDJ80/HJ61/other factory turbo diesel cruiser with an LS in it around here very frequently.

*Rant over*

Yeah nah...not sure where you get this from...there's a reason I can buy a reasonable FJ60 for 5 or 6 grand whereas I'd have to pay 15+ for a decent HJ61, can get an FZJ80 for 10k with lockers, 37s and all the rest of the 20k parts bill whereas for a clean 1HDFT powered 80 the going rate is well into the 30 grands. Heck, Toyota doesn't sell a 70 series that isn't diesel here, and I've seen 1 or 2 petrol (gas) 200 series here, and thousands of diesels.

Diesel is king here because of fuel consumption, a lot of outback servos don't sell petrol.
There's not a lot of love for 2H/1HZ because they're gutless and slow, but I don't think you'll find a HDJ80/HJ61/other factory turbo diesel cruiser with an LS in it around here very frequently.

*Rant over*
But can you provide YouTube videos to back your claims?

Any of the 4WD Action videos would suffice.
Here we go...there is a petrol powered truck on this one, but I suspect that's because Nissan don't sell a diesel patrol anymore...

I'm not trying to bag out the OP or anyone else on this thread, just trying to make a point that over here, most comp trucks have an LS or other chev V8, unless it's Gturbo's trucks, but any 4x4 that gets used for anything resembling a reasonable distance is diesel. Don't get me wrong, I daily drove an LS2 powered GU patrol for a while. Yes it was fun, it made 295 rwhp on 35s, stock gearing but I'd take a 12HT or 1HD-# any day over the LS

Last edited:
I've been putting Vortecs and LS3s in 60 series trucks for a while now and although I would not call myself an expert on the LS motor platform I probably have more experience than many on this forum. My OPINION, its a game changer. If you are being honest with yourself you can admit that these truck (gas at least) were under powered when new. Putting in an LS motor ends the days of keeping up in normal traffic being a pain, merging on to the Interstate at 45MPH and being a moving pic, passing at 60MPH plus without planning for two miles and doing it on a down hill run with a tail wind.

It is not all about big HP numbers and torque. It's about rolling into the throttle coming from a light rather than tromping on it just to get out of the way. It's about rock solid reliability. Folks go on and on about their stock motors having high 200 to 300K miles on them. LS motors are just warming up at those numbers. With regular oil changes Vortec motors in fleet service clock 300K-500K with regularity.

My favorite are the guys that state "I like the OEM motors being slow, I like taking my time driving through the country". The owner of an LS swapped 60 or 80 have the OPTION of slowing down any time they choose to. Bottom line on all of it, at least for me is I see no advantage of rebuilding 30 plus year old technology when modern power has been well documented as a viable alternative.

Once again, this is my OPINION. I've not pulled out a diesel and installed an LS in it's place yet. I have looked at a diesel 70 series for sale with the thought of selling off that diesel to help finance an LS3 swap, for myself. But that's me, my thought is, a diesel is perfect for my tractor and a pulling truck if the need arises. I do not want one in my SUV. Precisely why there is chocolate and vanilla.

Absolutely agree. This is my opinion based on having done 3 LS to Land cruiser swaps and driving over 150,000 miles in those. The drivealeity is so much better not to mention part availability. Cost mileage is improved. The LS engines are reliable and will last forever with proper maintenance.

Absolutely agree. This is my opinion based on having done 3 LS to Land cruiser swaps and driving over 150,000 miles in those. The drivealeity is so much better not to mention part availability. Cost mileage is improved. The LS engines are reliable and will last forever with proper maintenance.
Any general mpg numbers for those? Improvement over 2f/3fe?

Any general mpg numbers for those? Improvement over 2f/3fe?

I don't know on the 2f.. But my 3fe in the fj62 before the swap was getting 11 to 12 mpg. I did get 13.5 one time driving at or below the speed limit with a nice wind at my back. Not sure what others are done.. my 5.3 in the FJ62 averages around 15.5mpg and has seen 17+ in the right condition driving it for mileage.. To be honest, I drive the s*** out of it.. The 80 series are not as good.. I think the weight and the awd has an impact.. I average about 14.5 mpg with those ... and a best of 17.1mpg driving for mileage. Once again, i don't drive for mileage much :)

Pretty sure op ditched the ls swap has another thread so mpg is whatever last one i did owner said 18mpg hwy all depends on motor gearing transmission and hpw you drive it i would say if you drive it like you stole it on any swap should be around 12mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom