Lower Ball Joints - Anyone DIY? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently lifted our GX. During the install i noticed the lower ball joints were a bit loose - no major play but easy to swivel. Also, the boots are showing signs of cracking. The tapered end of the ball joint is housed in a cast or forged piece that is bolted to the bottom of the knuckle with two 19mm head bolts. The bolts are easy to get out and so is the 24mm castle nut on the ball joint. However, what's the proper way to separate the ball joint stud from that casting/housing? If i remove the 19mm bolts then the housing flops around. It's difficult to use the "Big Hammer" method here and the housing has an irregular shape so my 2 jaw tie rod separators don't fit. IF you have successfully replaced your lower ball joints by yourself, please post details on how you did it. I searched some of the FJC, 4runner, tacoma and 120 forums but the few threads i found included taking the entire control arm off the truck. Thanks!

wow, never seen that method before, all the instructions are there in that post including video, seems straight forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom