Loud front axle noise only when turing left HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone thank you for your time. 96 80', 148k. Had front axle rebuilt a few months ago at what I believe to be a reputable shop, Urban Land Cruisers in Atlanta. New tires and Bilstein shocks a little over a month ago and front end alignment. So far so good, no unusual tire wear, noises, etc. Well its my wifes daily driver most of the time, and a few days ago she tells me its starting to make this noise only when turning left. I drove it a day ago, and the noise is pretty loud. Only when turning left, never right, sounds like a bad rubbing/grating,and increases/decreases with speed. Tires are stock size and checked fenders they arent rubbing. Really frustrating, have no idea why it would be barking/rubbing when turning only a few thousand miles after a complete rebuild. Any advice, ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you close enough to David's shop to take it back to him to look at?

Could be a couple of things, birf, maybe seized VC.....

What's your level of expertise? If you haven't worked on one of these before and aren't interested in taking the time to learn, I'd follow dan's suggestion.

Only when turning left, never right, sounds like a bad rubbing/grating,and increases/decreases with speed.

FWIW this is pretty much exactly what my cruiser did shortly after I bought it (and probably before I bought it but thats another story that doesnt end well for me). Wheel bearings were loose on both sides in front, but it only made noise when turning one direction. Might be worth lifting each side and doing the 12 and 6 test? (Though I think Dan had the best advice if you are close by the shop that did the work)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/137411-front-axle-evaulation-faq.html post #2

Corey

I had the exact same problem, except when turning right.. My rotors were rubbing on that thin metal plate behind them. Is it a brake dust cover? I changed the bearings and races and i just had to hammer it abit.

Hey guys. I know it has been awhile but just wanted to throw in there that I did end up taking the Cruiser back to David and let him drive it. He noticed what I was talking about and had his guys take stuff apart and put it back together and it hasn't made a noise since! And he didn't charge me anything to do that. I have been very pleased with the service at Urban Land Cruisers!

Thats great

1.5 years late dude, are you kidding

You should post what the problem was and how it was fixed for people on the forum here who might have a similar problem it might help them.

Telling us that it got fixed does nothing to help anyone else here.:cheers:

Last edited:
I guess it was the backing plate? That's happened around here before too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom