Lots of White Smoke after New Injectors on B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, hoping to learn and troubleshoot all the white smoke coming out of the exhaust on my B engine.

Just did an engine overhaul, replaced glow plugs, replaced the nozzles on the injectors and sent them all to be calibrated.
We turn it on and there's so much white smoke we had to put a towel over the exhaust.
There is more smoke on idle than acceleration.

I'm sending the injector pump for calibration and timing to see if that helps.

Is there anything else that I can check to see what may be causing the issue?
Here is a video:

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.”

My guess is timing is off or the injectors weren’t done properly.

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.”

My guess is timing is off or the injectors weren’t done properly.
Thanks! Yea, the white smoke continues after the engine is warm so I don't think it could be an issue with the piston rings or cylinder glazing but will keep that in mind if it continues.

The smoke was noticeably less before the new injector nozzles and calibration so perhaps the timing on the pump may be able to fix it.

Will try to get that done this week and report back to see what I find.

As long as the timing gears are set right
F4A5D9EF-9B8F-4B86-96E6-5A1BC0A32886.jpeg

And the notch on the injection pump is lined up your timing should be close enough it wouldn’t smoke like that.

*Edit had to go way back to find this but here is how the pump timing mark should be set for a B with a turbo as per Gerg.
1445996B-28D8-4BD1-B91B-73704506238C.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 2617090
And the notch on the injection pump is lined up your timing should be close enough it wouldn’t smoke like that.

*Edit had to go way back to find this but here is how the pump timing mark should be set for a B with a turbo as per Gerg.
View attachment 2617105
View attachment 2617090

View attachment 2617105
Thanks, yea looks like my timing looks good. One thing I just noticed now is that the old injector nozzles have the whole almost two times bigger than the new ones I have. And now that I remember, right before the overhaul I had black smoke which was excess of fuel.

I'm sending the injector pump for calibration and timing to see if that helps.

replaced the nozzles on the injectors and sent them all to be calibrated.
This should all be done at the same time with the injectors flow matched. I suspect your injectors are opening early.

Alright, I finally was able to get a video of the engine running.
Turns out I had a couple issues with the pump and got that sorted. Bunch of new internal parts (list of about 20 different pieces on the invoice).
Here is a video of it running now, WAY better, and still need a few more things to adjust before its ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom