Lost head unit display (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every time I pick them up they ask me if the screens are working... ugh.
Looks like I will be purchasing tablets here in the future.

I want my damn radio and maybe a little GPS without breaking the bank.
I just got this vehicle and it has been one thing after the other so far consuming up my time with research etc.
Definitely seems like you got the raw end of that purchase.

Maybe pull the existing screens and sell them, get the "screen delete" covers, then install these for the kids?

!Quick update...

I received and installed my mini SD card for the 2020 Nav update.
Unfortunately the screen still does not come on with the exception of the back up camera.

Question is... do I spend $995 on a replacement or spend $750 on a Tesla style but lose rear entertainment?

Help a brother out!
I would spend the $995.00 for oem replacement. It sux but you have a late model 200 and gotta have some tunes.

I'd put out a wanted ad in the classifieds in case someone has swapped to the Tesla type and is willing to sell.

I personally would try to swap with OEM, especially if you want the rear screens to work.

Another update...
I took the advice of a few mudder's on here and ordered an OEM replacement.
Should be in a couple days and hopefully I can put this thread to bed.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Cheers!

Another update...
I took the advice of a few mudder's on here and ordered an OEM replacement.
Should be in a couple days and hopefully I can put this thread to bed.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Cheers!
Hey man. Sorry this happened on a new to you vehicle. Even though screen failures are rare, it still sucks when you win that lottery. Hope it gets fixed.

Well boys, went to the dealer and picked up my OEM screen.

Excited like a kid at Christmas.

Damn thing doesn't turn on either.
Called the dealership and they are supposed to refund me tomorrow and I'll swap back in the old unit.

I'm stumped.
And well at this point a little dumbfounded.

And a little irritated.

Last edited:
Maybe loose wiring or a bad fuse (that may not look blown).

On a good note, the dealership seems to be cool, and I was able to get my $1100 back no questions asked.

I spoke with service, and the tech will be in Monday who has originally looked at my car.

I am told he is really good and will get back with me.
Ultimately I'm going to have to bring it back in.

I think in the meanwhile I may replace every fuse in the box.

This sounds to me like one of the leads on the battery didn't get reconnected when it was replaced. Was there a separate power or ground lead that could have been missed? Maybe it fell behind things and got overlooked? It's way too coincidental for the head unit to have crapped-out at the same time. I know the cables are pretty straight forward on these, but I'd double and triple check the connections at the battery...

Maybe you can post pics of the battery cables to compare with others? My money is on this being a simple (albeit frustrating) fix. Something has to have been missed.

This sounds to me like one of the leads on the battery didn't get reconnected when it was replaced. Was there a separate power or ground lead that could have been missed? Maybe it fell behind things and got overlooked? It's way too coincidental for the head unit to have crapped-out at the same time. I know the cables are pretty straight forward on these, but I'd double and triple check the connections at the battery...

Maybe you can post pics of the battery cables to compare with others? My money is on this being a simple (albeit frustrating) fix. Something has to have been missed.
Thanks.
Pulled both cables, and inspected.

I also bought a 42 pc. fuse kit and replaced all that I could.

Reconnected and no screen, radio, etc.
Still in the same spot but again, I feel alright because I wasn't stuck with that unit I purchased.

I'm calling it a day as this has taken up the weekend so far. I can't wait to figure this out so I can move on to installing all the cool shiet that all you other mudders do!

Any chance you are looking at the wrong component? The radio screen is one part, but there is also the unit that drives it. Kind of like a desktop computer: the computer itself and the monitor. I haven't followed this thread very closely, but I've seen the screen part mentioned but not the other part.
61217380-EE98-442E-B655-81BC7D99C0B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Any chance you are looking at the wrong component? The radio screen is one part, but there is also the unit that drives it. Kind of like a desktop computer: the computer itself and the monitor. I haven't followed this thread very closely, but I've seen the screen part mentioned but not the other part.View attachment 2819676
There definitely is a chance...
I have confirmed power to the screen.

Now I will use a tester to check every fuse that this thing has.

I really didn't want to rip into this any further than I already have, but I may have to.

There isn't an in-line fuse or fuse on the back of that CD/DVD player by chance?

I'm not sure, but I can dig through my pictures tonight to see if I have one of the back.

One thing, that isn't just a CD player, it is also the "head unit" (probably not the right technical term) for the infotainment - the part you previously replaced is just a display.

Someone else should confirm this, since I'm no expert. I've had it apart a couple of times, that's all.

I had the opposite problem on my 2014, everything worked except the cameras. Turned out to be a connection on the parking control ecu. I'm in agreement that video originates from the cd unit other than camera signals.

Post #48

Well my LC is sitting at a shop for window tint.
They are going to plug in their unit and see if they can diagnose my screen issue.

At this point I do not have my hope's up!

Well my LC is sitting at a shop for window tint.
They are going to plug in their unit and see if they can diagnose my screen issue.

At this point I do not have my hope's up!

FYI some people have replaced their head units with other options (like tesla units) and if it was me and the head unit is the issue.. i would go the tesla route vs replacing the prehistoric OEM unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom