Loosing Coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having to top up my coolant every couple of weeks for some time now (85 bj60 450000KM). I have checked the hoses and any other areas that seem feasible for a leak to occur, but have found nothing. I'm hoping i have a small pin hole leak somewhere, and its not the head. Can anyone suggest the best way to pressurize the system so i can check for leaks? If it is the head are there any idicators besides removing it that may give me an idea?

you will need to buy a pressure tester, its a hand pump with different radiator cap fittings and a pressure gauge. if its the head you should see black crap in your overflow tank and the coolant will have black crap in it. also the oil filler cap will probably have lots of condensation on it. another common leakage point on these old trucks is the heater core: not a fun job to replace. sometimes with small leaks they go away when the truck is warm and the antifreeze evaporates, but it will leave behind white or red fuzzy stuff where it leaks. check all the hoses again and find/buy a pressure tester.

I had the same thing recently, and for once in my life it actually WAS the rad cap. it was filling up and overflowing the overflow bottle.

I still lose a little, and it's the waterpump weeping a bit.

Other than that, most rad shops will do a quick pressure test for you for free.

Hope it isn't the head.

cheers,
r

I had the same thing happening on my HJ. NO signs of external leaks. No puddles on the driveway. 1/2 fill up of the overflow tank every couple of weeks - more with lots of highway driving.

I made a pressure tester by cutting the valve off of a bike tire and hose-clamping it into the little hose that runs from the rad into the overflow tank. I carefully pumped it up to 12 psi using a bike pump and a tire gauge.

Leaks everywhere. 1 pinhole in the hose that goes to the heater core. Three old clamps that needed tightening. I replaced a bunch of old hoses, tightened some clamps and that was it!

Don't despair of it being the head until you pressure test the system!

pressure test to 16 psi, most caps are 13 psi.
this will show you any leaks you might have without blowing a frost plug out..

I had the same issue and got a new rad cap... Fixed it... couldn't believe it.

Check pressure test and then if there are no issues, change the cap.

K

Thanks for the input! Hopefully its nothing major.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom