missing 13BT coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Before draining my 74's coolant, I checked the t-stat housing and the overflow tank: both full.
I pulled the lowest radiator hose off, drained the radiator with its own valve, and found the block drain and opened it too.
I collected most of the liquid in various pans though some spilled.
I got about 9 liters plus maybe 1 on the ground.

FSM says I should have 14 liters...
Where is it hiding?

Before draining my 74's coolant, I checked the t-stat housing and the overflow tank: both full.
I pulled the lowest radiator hose off, drained the radiator with its own valve, and found the block drain and opened it too.
I collected most of the liquid in various pans though some spilled.
I got about 9 liters plus maybe 1 on the ground.

FSM says I should have 14 liters...
Where is it hiding?
Heater Core ?

Heater valve is open and I disconnected a heater hose when I opened the block drain.

The heater core won't drain on its own, and several parts of the block probably retain coolant, too. I've never gotten the full amount of coolant out of any vehicle I've drained.

Find the highest point, open all the drains. I use a regular shop vac with reducers to heater hose and push it all
out with air. Shop vac won't over pressurize anything or damage it but it should push it all out. Push in the direction
its meant to flow. I do the heater cores separately. I got all mine to within 200 ml of what it should be.

Shop vac is a great idea, thanks!
I was afraid to use shop compressed air.

On the positive side, the coolant that did drain out looks very good unlike the rusty grey-green color that came out the first time I drained it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom