Loosing collant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cylinder head needs to be removed to check for cracks or a blown out head gasket. The coolant is getting into the combustion chamber/s and exiting out the exhaust pipe as steam.
Likey the oil in the oil pan looks like chocolate milk too. Change it

The cylinder head needs to be removed to check for cracks or a blown out head gasket. The coolant is getting into the combustion chamber/s and exiting out the exhaust pipe as steam.
Likey the oil in the oil pan looks like chocolate milk too. Change it
Oil is ok and no coolant smell from exhaust. I think your right about the head

also possible you have air in your coolant system and its just being pushed out the overflow tank

it certainely wont hurt to do an exhaust gas test on the coolant system. If your oil looks ok, you have no signs of coolant in the exhaust, and no visible leaks under the truck then you've either opened a portal to another dimension or you are just not seeing it. Did you drain the coolant any time recently or replace a radiator or hose?

Send some of your oil to blackstone for an analysis. I had the same symptoms as you, and didn't see coolant in the oil, but when i sent it to blackstone they said for sure there was at least 1% of my oil was actually coolant.

also possible you have air in your coolant system and its just being pushed out the overflow tank
Could be but I’ve added coolant 4 times now
Send some of your oil to blackstone for an analysis. I had the same symptoms as you, and didn't see coolant in the oil, but when i sent it to blackstone they said for sure there was at least 1% of my oil was actually coolant.
thanks

Did you just put the new radiator and cap in? and if so is this when you started having to add the coolant regularly?

I'm losing about a quart a week. No external coolant leaks. Should I do a CO gas test?

yes.

If you are not leaking it out or purging it out the overflow, then you are likely consuming it.

if you are simply consuming coolant through the head into the combustion chamber, CO dip strip test may come back negative, as the coolant is being consumed 1 way into the combustion chambers, with no exhaust contamination back into the cooling system.

Adding difficulty to the troubleshooting process, if you have a crack in the head or a leaky head gasket, your truck also only consume coolant when its cold, before it seals itself up via expansion, or when hot, for the same reason.

If you have no leaks, & have checked every other possible thing, and are still consuming coolant then- as previously aforementioned its time to pull the head, have it magnafluxed to check for cracks, decked to ensure flatness, do whatever you need to the valves at that time and then put it all back together with a Toyota head gasket.

Check the hoses. I had a parasitic coolant leak for ages, until I found a slightly weeping hose. Although, the suggestions above are spot on. Since checking hoses is simpler, I would do that first.

Do a compression check for your sanity.

Clean all the hoses like @mongoose2231 said and look for wetness or drops. Try to isolate to engine only, so make sure all heaters are off completely.

Also pressure test the coolant system, that would yield a leak if its a pressurized problem in a hose/radiator or similar.

Don't forget to check the little freeze plugs under the rocker cover.
Although you'd probably have milky oil if that was the problem.
A very slow weep in the freeze plug is still a possibility.
I have had these corrode and leak twice on 2 different 3f's.
Also the big freeze plug at the back of the head. A slow leak sometimes goes unnoticed there.

Last edited:
So this brings up a question I've had for a good while.....is it ever a good idea to pull the head for a head gasket change (and general head clean up/maintenance) on an aging motor that isn't really showing signs of distress?

...is it ever a good idea to pull the head for a head gasket change (and general head clean up/maintenance) on an aging motor that isn't really showing signs of distress?

do you like doing extra work just for the hell of it?

do you have any reason to think you need to?

do you have towing coverage with your insurance?

only you can answer those questions and determine if its worth it to pull the head on an otherwise asymptomatic engine.

No external coolant leaks.

You might have your coolant system pressure tested also. How is the health of your radiator cap?

How is this determined? I didn't have any leaks either...….until I put a pressure tester kit on it and then suddenly saw three.

Last edited:
do you like doing extra work just for the hell of it?

do you have any reason to think you need to?

do you have towing coverage with your insurance?

only you can answer those questions and determine if its worth it to pull the head on an otherwise asymptomatic engine.

Yep, good questions. Just curious if anyone ever does it prophylactically. Sounds like it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie....but more importantly keep that towing coverage up to date.

How is this determined? I didn't have any leaks either...….until I put a pressure tester kit on it and then suddenly saw three.

Are you asking when you should pressure test the coolant system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom