loose pcv valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
So this is a rookie shade tree wrench cya question. Can a loose pcv valve cause any damage? I noticed on the weekend that my pcv valve was loose enough to pop out without resistance. The rubber grommit had melted/disintegrated and both hoses were split at the cylinder head end. I replaced the gromitt and pcv valve with oem (it was an aftermarket) and backordered the hoses. There was some oil staining on the head around the grommit and the hoses are not air tight right now, but I hope no harm done?

Simon.

Probably not much of one. The valve should be tight in the cover to correctly vent the crankcase. Loose would mean reduced venting of the crankcase under vacuum. Not the best but not earth shattering. A loose hose on the other end is another matter. That gives you a vacuum leak and causes you to run lean. Not a good thing. If you put a new valve and gromet in( 12204-35040 and 90480-18001) you should be good to go as long as the hose is tight at both the throttle body and the PCV valve. If the hose is old and hard(don't say it Junk ::) ) you should also replace that.

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Semlin,

>> The rubber grommit had melted/disintegrated <<

I'm not trying to be Chicken Little here but you have to ask yourself, "where did the grommet go?" I'm guessing it broke into pieces and fell into the valve cover. If so, you need to be concerned about this. Try to look in and see if you can use some needle nose pliars and remove the broken bits. You don't want chunks of that grommet clogging up your oil passages!

For everyone reading this and saying to yourself "I'm glad that isn't me.... " please check the PCV grommet on your truck and replace it when you replace the PCV. My '97 had started cracking at 100k miles. It came out in 1 piece but easily could have broken and fallen into the valve cover. Use OEM because the one NAPA sells is too big.

-B-

Use OEM because the one NAPA sells is too big.

-B-

I can vouch for this. That's why the hose is split and may be why the gromitt is toast. Either that ot the aftermarket grommit disintegrates in much less than 100,000 miles!

I did look inside for the bits. They are gone gone gone. Should I pull the valve cover off to search?

IIRC, there is a baffle plate rivited to the underside of the valve cover that would probably trap the bits. Still, best to get it all out...................

Yup, when I replaced my PCV and grommet, the grommet broke in two and half of it fell :eek: into the valve cover. I was able to extract it after about 5 minutes with a scribe and a long screwdriver, fished it out. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom