Loose injectors = misfire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. So I got a little motivated and was looking at my Land Cruiser and sizing up the idea of pulling the rest of the harness and getting the injectors cleaned too. While I was looking at the injectors they are really loose in the injector holes and move freely.

I am experiencing a miss fire, could the fact my injectors are so loose be an issue, along with the dirty injectors and possibly the harness shorting out?

Are there any wet spot of gasoline?

IMG_20180731_225640.jpg

IMG_20180731_225709.jpg

IMG_20180731_225629.jpg

Petrol or diesel? Never come across loose injectors on a diesel.

Whichever that would be a problem.

The injectors sit on little rubber isolators that should cushion and seal the injector once the fuel rail in screwed down torqued appropriately. Have you checked to see if the rail is actually secure?

The injectors sit on little rubber isolators that should cushion and seal the injector once the fuel rail in screwed down torqued appropriately. Have you checked to see if the rail is actually secure?

I have not checked the fuel rail to see if it is properly tightened down.

There are 3 long bolts that go through a plastic spacer between the rail and the head. Check they are there also.

There are 3 long bolts that go through a plastic spacer between the rail and the head. Check they are there also.
I will check on that. Maybe the Arizona heat has made them brittle and they have broken apart. Once I get the correct part numbers I can check on prices and get them at a decent price but that is the nice thing about working for Toyota

The insulator P/N is 23291-41010 and the spacer is 90561-08020. If you do decide to change the insulators then worth also changing the O-ring and grommet at the fuel rail end. 90480-13005 is the grommet and 90301-07001 is the O-ring.

The upper o-ring for the injector seals fuel under pressure. The lower insulator seals vacuum at the intake port and a vacuum leak in that area can cause a misfire.

The upper o-ring for the injector seals fuel under pressure. The lower insulator seals vacuum at the intake port and a vacuum leak in that area can cause a misfire.

Thank you for the input. When it was running you could hear a vacuum leak and the best I could tell with a mirror and a visual inspection of all vacuum lines they were all connected, maybe this is where the vacuum leak is coming from.

Thank you for the input. When it was running you could hear a vacuum leak and the best I could tell with a mirror and a visual inspection of all vacuum lines they were all connected, maybe this is where the vacuum leak is coming from.

To help find vacuum or exhaust leaks, I like to use about 3-4 feet of fuel line. Stick one end in your ear and the other near any locations you think may be leaking. To avoid putting your hands too near the hot engine or exhaust, tape the last few inches to a long screwdriver (or similar stick) and poke it around in there.

Injectors should be able to rotate when in place with injector rail tightened down, if no fuel is visible then they are not leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom