Looking to lift my newly aquired 03 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I recently acquired my long awaited GX470 purchased from a friend. I've been shopping around and aware of the current lead times and out of stock items (hence why I'm posting) looking for and info anyone might have or companies with 2.5 to 3 inch lift kits in stock with the following goal in mind:
2.5-3 inch lift, level and stock weight. Going to use for light offroad and adventures, nothing crazy (for now) as it will be used for daily duties.

Anyone with any info or leads with companies with some sort of these kits in stock (bilstein/eibach/dobinson ect....) Also already have UCA's.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You might find this post useful: Mild Build for Under $3000 (2017 prices)

Tires and wheels: If you want to save money and keep the stock oem wheels, then this will limit your tire choices. I've been wondering if the stock oem wheels can fit the Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5. I haven't heard anyone try this tire with the stock oem wheels, but on paper it seems it should fit without much rubbing. Most people report great success and no mods on 255/75R17s.

Suspension: If you are looking for a basic 2" to 2.5" lift, then the linked post above mentions a few options that are available. If you mix and match brands, make sure the shock valving is compatible. I made the mistake of combining my Bilstein 6112s shocks in the front with OME shocks in the rear. This combo didn't work and made my ride super bouncy. I had to replace the OMEs with ICON's. The ICON's and the Bilsteins have similar digressive valving and are compatible.

I haven't checked recent (2021) prices on all the low cost shocks (I know they've gone up since 2017 when I did all the research), but in the low cost spectrum you have choices from OME (Try Slee Offroad for OME), Dobinson (Try Dobinson's dealer locator page), Blistein, Eibach, Ironman, etc. These will be mainly 2" diameter body shocks except the Bilstein 6112s which are low cost, but come in 2.6" diameter body shocks. Keep the rear airbags if you don't mind them and they are in good condition. This will save you money (at least $500) in terms of not having to buy a conversion kit nor rear coils.

Anyways, good luck with the GX470 addiction...it never seems to end even when you think you are done!

Last edited:
Oh for Dobinson, there was a guy @crikeymike that used to work at Dobinsons. He was on the 4Runner forums and sometimes here.

He was a great source of information on GX470 and 4Runners. I just read that he opened his own suspension company selling suspension products including Dobinsons. I highly recommend him. Super knowledgeable on suspensions for GX470 and 4Runner.

I don’t know him, but I was impressed with his knowledge and his contributions to the forums. He opened exit offroad per his post on t4r forum Exit Offroad

Last edited:
Oh for Dobinson, there was a guy @crikeymike that used to work at Dobinsons. He was on the 4Runner forums and sometimes here.

He was a great source of information on GX470 and 4Runners. I just read that he opened his own suspension company selling suspension products including Dobinsons. I highly recommend him. Super knowledgeable on suspensions for GX470 and 4Runner.

I don’t know him, but I was impressed with his knowledge and his contributions to the forums. He opened exit offroad per his post on t4r forum Exit Offroad
Thanks for the tag.

Yeah, I worked at ARB/OME for 11 years, then Dobinsons for 3 years, now I run my own company

You might find this post useful: Mild Build for Under $3000 (2017 prices)

Tires and wheels: If you want to save money and keep the stock oem wheels, then this will limit your tire choices. I've been wondering if the stock oem wheels can fit the Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5. I haven't heard anyone try this tire with the stock oem wheels, but on paper it seems it should fit without much rubbing. Most people report great success and no mods on 255/75R17s.

Suspension: If you are looking for a basic 2" to 2.5" lift, then the linked post above mentions a few options that are available. If you mix and match brands, make sure the shock valving is compatible. I made the mistake of combining my Bilstein 6112s shocks in the front with OME shocks in the rear. This combo didn't work and made my ride super bouncy. I had to replace the OMEs with ICON's. The ICON's and the Bilsteins have similar digressive valving and are compatible.

I haven't checked recent (2021) prices on all the low cost shocks (I know they've gone up since 2017 when I did all the research), but in the low cost spectrum you have choices from OME (Try Slee Offroad for OME), Dobinson (Try Dobinson's dealer locator page), Blistein, Eibach, Ironman, etc. These will be mainly 2" diameter body shocks except the Bilstein 6112s which are low cost, but come in 2.6" diameter body shocks. Keep the rear airbags if you don't mind them and they are in good condition. This will save you money (at least $500) in terms of not having to buy a conversion kit nor rear coils.

Anyways, good luck with the GX470 addiction...it never seems to end even when you think you are done!
Thanks for all the info! Always really wanted one when I was working at the Yota dealer back in 08-12' time has finally come, will start a thread when I start to make some progress after all the preliminary maintance. Thanks again.

Hello all,

I recently acquired my long awaited GX470 purchased from a friend. I've been shopping around and aware of the current lead times and out of stock items (hence why I'm posting) looking for and info anyone might have or companies with 2.5 to 3 inch lift kits in stock with the following goal in mind:
2.5-3 inch lift, level and stock weight. Going to use for light offroad and adventures, nothing crazy (for now) as it will be used for daily duties.

Anyone with any info or leads with companies with some sort of these kits in stock (bilstein/eibach/dobinson ect....) Also already have UCA's.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Congrats on the new rig!

In stock is key words these day. We actually have both ICON Stage 2 and OME 3" kits in stock for your GX. Also since Metal-tech 4x4 invented the bolt on rear coilover conversion kit, and actually makes them in house in the US, we have those also in stock too.

Also when the time comes for bumpers, and sliders, well we make those too for your truck.

www.metaltech4x4.com

Any questions happy to help.

Yeah, when I first bought my GX470 back in early 2017, I quickly ordered OPOR sliders and TC UCAs from MT. Got them quick and fast back then...no supply chain issues. Later I ordered from MT the rear ICONs and Toyota isolators. Good vendor and good to see @helocat on here.

$1400 for fronts is hurting my pocket, though, but I've been perusing the MT web site to see if ICONs come with a slightly heavier coil rate.

Yeah, when I first bought my GX470 back in early 2017, I quickly ordered OPOR sliders and TC UCAs from MT. Got them quick and fast back then...no supply chain issues. Later I ordered from MT the rear ICONs and Toyota isolators. Good vendor and good to see @helocat on here.

$1400 for fronts is hurting my pocket, though, but I've been perusing the MT web site to see if ICONs come with a slightly heavier coil rate.

Thank you for the kind words! We love building GX470s and been at it since before the GX were "discovered". Still remember looking under one back in 08 and going "hay this IS the Prado 120!".

ICONS with slightly higher coil rate. Yes they do exists, well can exist. ICON does offer a 700lbs spring option as a custom order. The problem is the lead time to get the custom spring rate. Side note, its still the same coilover as the 650lbs spring rate we have in stock. One could get the 650 run them, then if he spring was just not enough, go ahead and order 700lbs springs ala cart at a later date.

Other option is Radflo, they usually have a 700lbs spring (However we have to custom order them with them). Lead time for them is 16-18 weeks right now.

Got it. I think the 650 ones are good enough for me.

Are the 650 coils standard on the gx470 front icon-58640 2.5” ifp? The web site doesn’t list spring rates. And your sites says you are out of stock on the 58640s do gx470

I got a $1000 dobinsons kit on my 06 and it rides like a cadillac compared to my 03 on Bilstein 5100s. Highly recommend Dobinsons "comfort" springs and Firestone "coil rite" airbags in the back in case you ever need to carry weight. The Bilsteins ride like s***.

"Levelling" a truck is not a good idea if you ever even plan a trip to home depot. Add airbags. The second you haul something you have reverse-rake which is dangerous on the road and you look like an idiot.

Got it. I think the 650 ones are good enough for me.

Are the 650 coils standard on the gx470 front icon-58640 2.5” ifp? The web site doesn’t list spring rates. And your sites says you are out of stock on the 58640s do gx470
Yes all the ICON coilovers for the GX470 will come with 650 springs on them, unless special ordered for the 700lbs heavies. We actually dont stock much of the standard IFP ICONs due to most people run UCAs. If you run UCA's you can run the extended travel coilovers, so we stock (and yes right now we have them in stock) them. We actually have full ICON Stage 2 kits in stock right now. Crazy as ICON right now is running 6 months for new orders.

The kits we have are officially for the GX460/5th gen 4R but all we have to do is swap out the sway bar relocation blocks and its the 03-09 kit.

In Stock!

I got a $1000 dobinsons kit on my 06 and it rides like a cadillac compared to my 03 on Bilstein 5100s. Highly recommend Dobinsons "comfort" springs and Firestone "coil rite" airbags in the back in case you ever need to carry weight. The Bilsteins ride like s***.

"Levelling" a truck is not a good idea if you ever even plan a trip to home depot. Add airbags. The second you haul something you have reverse-rake which is dangerous on the road and you look like an idiot.
Got pics? What specs did you go with on the drop downs. I'm new to "lifts" just want to come up 2 inches and do some light trail riding and off roading.

Got pics? What specs did you go with on the drop downs. I'm new to "lifts" just want to come up 2 inches and do some light trail riding and off roading.
Not sure what you mean; ‘Drop downs’?

Sorry no pics, I’d recommend a mild lift 2” front, 1” rear and sticking with stock tire size in like a KO2, or maybe a hair larger like a 265/70.

Lifting over 2” and huge tires is super overrated, gets more expensive on parts (UCA) tires are expensive and MPG takes a huge hit.

Honestly you don’t really even need a lift. These trucks are quite capable with nothing more than a set of good tires. Don't buy into the ‘you need every offroad mod and dingle dangle bolted to your truck hype’ to go offroading. It’s BS.

Honestly you don’t really even need a lift. These trucks are quite capable with nothing more than a set of good tires. Don't buy into the ‘you need every offroad mod and dingle dangle bolted to your truck hype’ to go offroading. It’s BS.
My GX was very capable off-road with 265/70R17's and no lift, with skidplates. I only lifted it when the rear airbags and front struts blew out. It looks and rides better with a lift, but there were exactly zero off-roading situations where I have needed a lift. Unless you are doing hard core off roading I concur that a lift is not needed. Just pick a good line or use a spotter.

Ive been in situations exploring that required a lift to get through otherwise I would have to have been winched out. And I wasn’t rock crawling…I was exploring and the trail got difficult.

Sometimes big boulders impeded the road and there was no way around it. Road was too narrow rutted and some big boulders. Your bumpers and undercarriage also get in the way more if you are not lifted.

Also, the stock oem coilovers sag over time and your front clearance takes a 1” to 2” drop with old age.

So, I would improve the front with a 2” lift and new skinny tall tires 255/75R17s all around. Keep and trick the rear airbags about 1”. Remove the stock running boards.

These simple changes should give you the greatest capability improvement with minimal changes.

But it all depends where you plan to explore. Paved roads at the mall don’t require any mods.

Ive been in situations exploring that required a lift to get through otherwise I would have to have been winched out. And I wasn’t rock crawling…I was exploring and the trail got difficult.

Sometimes big boulders impeded the road and there was no way around it. Road was too narrow rutted and some big boulders. Your bumpers and undercarriage also get in the way more if you are not lifted.
We took our then-stock suspension GX to SW CO (did Yankee Boy Basin and Ophir Pass) and Moab (Dome Plateau and Gemini Bridges) this past summer. At that point it had the saggy front suspension, ARB skids, rock sliders, and 265/70 Wildpeaks. We bashed the skidplate pretty hard on Dome Plateau and drug the hitch a number of times, but clearance was overall never an issue, and we never once hit the rock sliders. Granted those trails aren't particularly difficult, but we still had a ton of fun in a GX that was essentially stock, other than some armor.

I also off-roaded for over a decade in Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2014 Outback - the latter of which made it all the way into the American Basin in CO), and am pretty used to wheeling in low-clearance vehicles. If you are OK with a bit of dragging, had good skids, and pick a good line, there are a ton of places you can go in a stock 4x4/AWD vehicle.

That being said I still love my lift, even though we had plenty of fun without it. With 11" of ground clearance up front (pre-lift it was only 8") I am looking forward to heading back out west and tackling some tougher trails.

We took our then-stock suspension GX to SW CO (did Yankee Boy Basin and Ophir Pass) and Moab (Dome Plateau and Gemini Bridges) this past summer. At that point it had the saggy front suspension, ARB skids, rock sliders, and 265/70 Wildpeaks. We bashed the skidplate pretty hard on Dome Plateau and drug the hitch a number of times, but clearance was overall never an issue, and we never once hit the rock sliders. Granted those trails aren't particularly difficult, but we still had a ton of fun in a GX that was essentially stock, other than some armor.

I also off-roaded for over a decade in Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2014 Outback - the latter of which made it all the way into the American Basin in CO), and am pretty used to wheeling in low-clearance vehicles. If you are OK with a bit of dragging, had good skids, and pick a good line, there are a ton of places you can go in a stock 4x4/AWD vehicle.

That being said I still love my lift, even though we had plenty of fun without it. With 11" of ground clearance up front (pre-lift it was only 8") I am looking forward to heading back out west and tackling some tougher trails.
Yes, that's the point. You can certainly go offroading with a stock GX470, but the level of undercarriage and/or bumper damage may be higher. I'm lifted about 2.5" and I've accidentally hit the under belly and sliders hard a few times on roads that were easy, but the rain rutted those trails far worse than I had expected. Sometimes the trails smooth out after a few people go thru, but it seems I was one of the first ones to go on that trail after some rain.

The OP @Rtautosport321 asked about basic lift companies. And I think the advice is don't go crazy with the suspension upgrades unless you are a hard core rock crawler. I've always felt that 32.1x10 (255/75R17) tires on stock wheels, basic 2" lift front coilovers, matching rear shocks, keep/trick the rear airbags as long as they are in good condition, and sliders were the best bang for the buck in terms of improved offroad capability and looks (which are subjective).

In fact, there's a company in San Diego that's well know for buying GX470s from the local dealers and private parties to build up mildly and sell for a high profit margin. Their build is new 285/70R17 tires (mostly KO2s), TRD Pro wheels, basic coil conversion suspension (mostly OME, but a handful of Dobinson), WP/TB repair, and removing the stock running boards. They sell these nowadays from the low 20s to the mid 30s.

Their build appears to be the winning formula that most people are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom