Looking to buy a FJ60/62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I am currently a FJ80 owner. 1996 mostly used by my two boys (16 and 18) for transportation. Have always had an interest in the FJ60/62. My use would be limited to driving around town, maybe once or twice at a sand dune rec area. Would prefer a manual, but have heard that the FJ62 with automatic is the better truck due to fuel injection.

However, I saw this and it looks like a really nice example of the FJ60:

1987 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

Any thoughts on this truck?

And, is there that big of a difference between the 60 and 62 in term of driveability? I have seen some threads say where the 60 would be hard pressed to drive on the highway at 70-75. Does that go for the 62 as well?

Thanks in advance.

That looks like a Corsetti 60 to me. He was recently on Leno.

A 60 like that with 31s will do 70 on the highway pushing nearly 3k on the tach. Not too much to ask of a 2F. With a good carb and functioning secondary you can maintain 70 uphill unless you have a ton of cargo.

That is a beautiful looking rig at a price that reflect it.

Definitely a Corsetti Cruiser. Follow him on instagram and believe he recently posted that one.

Difference between 60 and 62 is all going to be relative and respective to the wants/needs of the owner. I have owned my 60 for going on 7yrs now and love everything about it. Yeah there are days that I wish I had EFI and power windows, but those are usually limited. With regards to the auto vs manual thing, again that is all personal preference. The A440 auto is known to have issues if not maintained however it is still a good tranny. The 4spd on the 60 has its limitations but again, all personal preference.

My recommendation would be to go find one of each (maybe see if someone in you club has one) and take them for a drive. You will know pretty quickly which you will prefer. OR if you are really into it, you could find a 62 with a blown tranny and swap the H55f 5spd in and then have the best of both worlds!

Thanks for the replies so far. As for driving them, I have yet to see a 60 or 62 in our area in Michigan. Heck, I have only seen two or three FJ80's since I bought it two years ago.

Yes, the ebay 60 is Brian's. It looks like he does really nice work on these trucks.

I have an 88 FJ62, used to have the auto in it. It was sluggish and very underpowered with the auto and when it gave out I put in the H55f 5 speed. The manual made night and day difference in drive ability and power responsiveness. Even though the 60’s have a 4 speed that extra torque and ease of repair down the line is way worth it. A 62 with low miles and an auto would definitely last a long time and a great daily driver, but I’d prefer having the 4 speed manual over it any day just for more responsiveness. That corsetti cruiser sure is nice and I’d consider it if you’re willing. I’d suggest driving both the 62 and 60 before you pull the trigger.

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately, no ability to drive either right now. I think the closest rig I have seen is about 300 miles away.

Sounds like you need a 60 based upon all of your comments. If you can swing the Ebay one it would be a fantastic rig. I bet all of the pinch points/deferred maintenance has been addressed on that truck. Total turnkey.

An FJ62 has a nice deep overdrive which results in low highway RPMs. At sea level, the driveability would be even better. At 7000', I downshift regularly to keep the RPMs up.

I owned an FJ60 and liked it, and now have a '62 and like it, too. A clean, well-maintained example of either should put a smile on your face. Being from Michigan, I fully understand your desire to get a rust-free example from a far-away place.

My recommendation would be to go find one of each (maybe see if someone in you club has one) and take them for a drive. You will know pretty quickly which you will prefer.

X2

Or if you prefer either at all. Driving one of either of these is a different experience. Driving one before you ever look at purchasing one is solid advice.

Love 80's graphics on 60 series.

Thanks Robert, I just found an 88 FJ62 about 250 miles from me. Will probably go and drive it Monday. The ebay auction on the 60 ends Sunday so may miss this one.

I think he is trying to gauge the market for his crusier.
I don’t get it.
Keep an eye out he may put it up on BAT.
Bring a trailer

Personally I prefer the manual over the automatic. You have better control over the response of the truck and always have the option to manually control your gearing and such. Especially if you're traveling and need it for backcountry use. Just my two cents. :) I'm actually about to do an H55 conversion which I'm pretty excited for. Also if you really wanted to EFI you can always add that later to a 60. The great thing about these vehicles you can swap and mod the hell out of them like your 80.

I think he is trying to gauge the market for his crusier.
I don’t get it.
Keep an eye out he may put it up on BAT.
Bring a trailer

No, he sold it. Not to me. I had my chance, but wasn't able to pull the trigger soon enough. I'd gladly pay him the $30K for one of his cruisers that he has gone through and sorted out over someone looking to make a quick buck in the inflated 60 market that has only put some mods on and a new coat of paint.
Perfect example of just this situation:

1984 Toyota LAND CRUISER from Urban Motors

I see no difference in the two.
This one has a nice lift, the other only had OME shocks. Ok maybe some decals. Yeah the interior on the lifted one could of at least been cleaned up. But overall pretty much the same.

I see no difference in the two.
This one has a nice lift, the other only had OME shocks. Ok maybe some decals. Yeah the interior on the lifted one could of at least been cleaned up. But overall pretty much the same.

Definitely not the same. Corsetti's is a frame off restoration. Urban motors spent 1 hour on it in the shop, $100 for a detail and about $6000 in add ons (I have proof) to make it presentable and look like a $38K rig. Underneath all that I bet there will be mechanical problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom