Looking for Best Travel Tool Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for any ideas on a solid, and simple metric set that includes only the most common Toyota metric sizes (10 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm, 15 mm, 17 mm, 19 mm). Preferably with ratchets, sockets and wrenches, and maybe a couple of plier options. Anybody found anything good?

For my cheapo, haul around in the pickup bed, tool set: Harbor Freight. Got one for $29 on sale, and it has enough 'stuff' in there to do minor fix its. Not top of the line in any sense of the word. But adequate for rarely used tools.

For my Harley Davidson, I started documenting all the size tools I used when doing regular maintenance. Then went to Sears and picked up duplicates (or small sets if on sale). They all fit in a small plastic tool box, which rests in the bottom of one saddlebag.

IMHO, any vehicle tool assortment, should include a length of fuel line, hose clamps, electrical tape, duct tape, and an assortment of wire ties. Just all depends on how far from civilization you plan on venturing. But it sucks being broke down on the side of a road/trail, when a screwdriver and pair of vise-grips could get you back.

Just make one with sizes you know you will need. Get a cheap tool bag at Harbor Freight. Make it custom with sizes for the LC's it will be better than anything you could buy off the shelf. I have extra hoses, points, clamps ,belts in one bag and tools for my 40 in another. Does not take up much space and adds loads of peace of mind.

williams has a metric tool set that I like. I've decided to use some "kits" like this (for the truck) as it makes it easy to keep up with stuff.Williams 50622A | 89 Piece Master Socket Wrench and Screwdriver Set. Overall depends on what you want to spend. I like these type of kits since its always a pain trying to find whatever socket down in some tool bag or whatever. Depends on your budget as to what might suit you.

If you want to get an inexpensive quality set, look at the Tekton Ratchet set and Open-end box set. Taiwan, and priced accordingly, but I use it side by side with my snap on and there's virtually no difference for a DIYer.

The Williams mentioned above is an excellent set, but now made in Taiwan and at $250 may not be your best value.

Some of the stuff is marketing hype. And I'll have to throw in that it all "depends". From what I see, some of the Williams stuff is made in Taiwan, some of it is made in the US. Williams is one of the industrial brands of Snap-On. I do like Williams and I have a lot of their stuff, I have snap-on and other brands too. So far I like the Williams tools I've purchased and have had for some time. You can buy the above tool set I mentioned for just under $200 then shipping on top of that. Not all the Snap-ON stuff is made in the US either (same for MAC and MATCO)...etc. I never really figured out the blue point strategy......it would appear that there are some products in the blue-point category.....but I'm not aware of what that consists of now (is there a separate blue-point) catalog? I don't keep up with all the tool truck stuff anymore, but back in the day (late 80's) you could buy some of the blue point stuff off the snap on truck. Williams to my knowledge has never been available on the tool truck.

So far most of the stuff I buy from Williams is USA made, but I've been ok with the tools that were not made in the USA. Some of the items there is no choice as to country of mfg...it is what it is... , but in some of the tools, Williams makes stuff in Taiwan and in USA. The 2nd web site below deals in Williams stuff and they generally note what is USA made. I've bought a a good bit of stuff from the 2nd web site below, the first web site is a good reference tool to see whats out there (in the snap-on world or their brands)

here is a good web site to check out: Home | Snap-On Industrial Brands

The first time I became aware of Williams was back a few decades ago when I worked in a PACCAR plant and they had "millions" of these tools that looked exactly or very similar to the snap-on product, yet had the Williams brand name. Back then to my knowledge there were few retail sources for the average person to purchase these tools. I buy Williams tools without reservation, until some point in the future if I find their quality/price point to be out of whack, which so far has not been the case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom