Looking for advice from LX owners, would you do it again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To echo @eatSleepWoof , while all of us are die-hard 200-series owners, some of us are firmly in the LX camp. From that perspective, it's not a compromise, because an LX objectively comes with more. There are functional things that only the LX has fitted. Significant options that could be worth paying more for, that new car owners have also payed more for as evidenced by the relative sales numbers. The supply / demand dichotomy in the second hand market makes things interesting for potential buyers on the different sides. Sure, the LX doesn't look or identify as a world renowned Land Cruiser that weighs large on some enthusiasts. For some, that's not a significant criteria, as what they're looking for is the uber set of features, that can only be had with the LX.

To answer the OPs questions - without a doubt. I wouldn't have owned either 100 or 200-series, if the LX wasn't an option.

Here's a potential list for the OP to consider. Some of the late model LCs got these as trickle down, but the LX generally has had most of these since early model years.

1) More sound deadening (acoustic glass, engine covers, more extensive interior insulation)
2) Powered rear hatch for open/close, also key fob operated (later LCs got this)
3) Soft open rear lower tailgate, with power latching
4) Surround camera system
5) Ventilated/Heated front row (later LCs got this)
6) Mark Levinson Reference (only other Lexus model to get the Reference system is the LS) w/surround (19 speakers vs 14, 10" sub vs 8")
7) Power side view mirrors with auto-fold (later LCs got this)
8) AHC - AVS, lift on demand, adjustable and continuous damping logic, anti-dive/roll/squat, leveling, etc.
9) AHC underbody armor
10) Shorter roof rack (LC has a longer roof rack with 3 supports per side)
11) Steering headlights (AFS)
12) Projector headlights ('16+ LCs got this)
13) Headlight washers
14) Storage in rear seat armrest
15) Power slide rear seats
16) Second row storage on front seatbacks is a panel vs net
17) 14-way adjustable driver seat vs 10-way LC (passenger 12-way vs 8-way)
18) Adjustable tilt front headrests
19) Power stowage for 3rd row seat
20) All windows down by holding remote door open button for 3+ seconds (not sure Toyota's have this?)
21) More substantial key fob
22) Fade-To-Off interior lighting (I believe LC got this in 2014?)
23) Puddle and side step lights
24) Door sill lighting
25) Interior ambient lighting
26) Additional trunk side light and open tailgate lighting
27) +2hp / +2tq (requires 91 octane, LC is 87 octane)
28) Semi-aniline leather and more luxurious interior appointments
29) Ventilated second row outboard seats
30) Four-zone climate concierge
31) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
32) LED Cornering Lamp
33) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
34) Head-up display
35) Steering wheel paddle shifter
36) Door puddle projector lamps
37) Rear door retractable sun shades
38) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
39) Dual screen rear entertainment
40) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)
41) Auto air quality air recirculation

I'll play along...

I have a LX570. I would buy a LX again in a heartbeat.

I prefer the dashboard and center console of the LX. The Bubinga wood and brushed metal look against the black interior looks rather rich, as are the door cards. I also like the stately upright design. The toggle switches for the drive/chassis systems are distinctive and cool looking. The front row interior is probably the biggest thing that sold me on the LX vs. LC.

I prefer LC's more pedestrian grille and less bling on the tailgate. I started shopping Toyota badges to replace the Lexus badges on grill and tailgate, but my wife and daughters said no. 18" wheels Toyota center caps, so there's that. :)

I did install 18" LC wheels with upsized 33" tires for more sidewall squish than the 20" LX wheels. As much as I like the 10 spoke LX wheel and its liquid graphite finish, 18" were higher priority than the finish.

AHC is a bonus for me. Height adjustable suspension without the durability issues that plague air springs. Yes, the hydraulic shocks and accumulators will be expensive to service, but I believe hydraulics are fundamentally more durable than airbags. Besides, it sounds cool when describing the hydraulic suspension to others. Plus the party trick of lifting and lowering the height to hitch or decouple a trailer. KDSS is clever, but I doubt I would have ever reaped its off road benefits. Living in Indiana means little opportunity for hard core wheeling like the western states or those along the Appalachian mountains.

Power lift gate and 3rd row seats are nice, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they were manual. Fewer motors to fail. Power 2nd row is definitely nice for adjusting legroom for third row.

I prefer the performance of projector beam headlamps compared to traditional reflector lamps. Coupled with LED bulbs, and they are downright awesome. I could do without the auto bending headlamps. Taillamps are a wash between the two.

I wish I had the LC roof rack with their longer side rails.

Mark Levinson vs. JBL sound system? I haven't heard the JBL system to compare, but the Mark Levinson is pretty decent. Subwoofer FTW.

I didn't test drive a LC, so I can't speak to the NVH comparison. I presume LX has a bit more sound insulation that LC?

6000 lb curb weight is stupidly entertaining to toss around in conversation. I believe LC is ~5800 lbs? So 200lbs isn't much, but there is a certain ring to 6000 lbs. meanwhile, a contemporary Tahoe weights just 5600 lbs

20220430 IMG_0434.jpg

I appreciate all the input.

I can see myself getting into some tougher trails than most, this will primarily be our adventure vehicle so it will sit probably a lot, except for a couple of 1000+ mile trips a year.

We have a hybrid sienna and a Prius V which do most of the daily duties for my wife and I. I also have an FRS and a Miata for fun cars, one of those will likely go to make room for the LC/LX.

All this to say, the additional creature comforts of an LX may be wasted on me, I don’t care much about the audio or quiet ride, I care a lot about having the ability to drive over crap and get myself out of trouble and getting stuck.

Probably OK with either for my wants, though I still have a preference to the LC.
So you all have helped open up that additional possibility for me. At ~10k difference in price for an equivalent vehicle the LX may have the edge, and a lot more availability.

Off to scour the US for a 0 rust, low mile, excellently maintained, and cheap LX.

Thanks,

I appreciate all the input.

I can see myself getting into some tougher trails than most, this will primarily be our adventure vehicle so it will sit probably a lot, except for a couple of 1000+ mile trips a year.

We have a hybrid sienna and a Prius V which do most of the daily duties for my wife and I. I also have an FRS and a Miata for fun cars, one of those will likely go to make room for the LC/LX.

All this to say, the additional creature comforts of an LX may be wasted on me, I don’t care much about the audio or quiet ride, I care a lot about having the ability to drive over crap and get myself out of trouble and getting stuck.

Probably OK with either for my wants, though I still have a preference to the LC.
So you all have helped open up that additional possibility for me. At ~10k difference in price for an equivalent vehicle the LX may have the edge, and a lot more availability.

Off to scour the US for a 0 rust, low mile, excellently maintained, and cheap LX.

Thanks,
For the most part LX’s are (slightly) more capable off road (then LCs) once you switch to appropriate wheels/tires.

I had a 2015 LC and when it came time for another 200 series I went the LX route and don’t regret it at all. I was attached to the Landcruiser badge at first and I did what I wanted with it but for my use the LX works better. But if I didn’t scratch the LC itch I would have always wondered what if… now that I have I’m thrilled with the LX.

1. The interior is just a nice place to be. I actually love the styling of the LC interior but there are way too many obvious base model plastics, even when they upgraded the leather in 2016+ it felt like all the qulited leather Mercedes used in the last gen G wagon to make it feel luxurious. The LX still has some but not as apparent.
2. AHC - a lift on demand and even able to lower it so my big dog can get in and out easier and I can squeeze into some parking garages.
3. You can fit bigger tires than the LC.
4. Sound system is the best I’ve heard in a car and I still have my Burmester stereo Mercedes to compare it with.

this is a me thing: I like the 21s for road use and will have a set of 18 inch ATs for trips, which gives me another 30-45 miles of range for 99% of my driving. I maintain the factory level of acceleration because we aren’t starting with TRXs which you can just throw 37s and extra weight on and still have great acceleration.

EDIT: saw a lot of the above doesn’t matter to you except 2 and 3 so carry on and good luck with your search!

These statements confuse me. Nothing about the LX is a constraint to driving hard or driving over big stuff. Whether one wants to or not is fair, but it's not a limitation of the car.

The LX is not a psuedo-LC. It is an LC with all the same, or arguably more potential, at its core.

Canguro's Monica baja race truck is an LC through and through. Might be interesting to know that she started life as an LX, but fortunately never got stigmatized for mall duty.
1655867179821.png

Wanted a Land Cruiser since I was in high school over 20 years ago. Came time and didn't even know what an LX was. After researching and seeing the 2 cars were nearly identical I still wanted a Land Cruiser. The price difference of around 10k for a used at the time and seeing I was getting less for my money with the LC made my decision. Test drove several and neither is any sort of a drivers car, unsure why anyone says that was part of their decision, they are 3 ton reliable cruisers. So I figured I may as well go full plush with the LX. Comfy, quiet ride that both the wife and kids love for our long camping trips. The Mark levinson sounds much better imo than the JBL. Also have the DVD player we have used for many hours on those drives. Being able to drop into low under the trailer, pop up and lock in is really nice too.

TLDR: Can't go wrong either way, mostly LX being cheaper used made my decision.

The 21inch rims are terrible and should be killed with fire. Love my lx. I get compliments on it all the time, only knock is it looks like a $100k truck. Still extremely calable!
3752CE65-FF67-4C4F-BE99-BCC4FD920A88.jpeg
1B0B86EA-4916-4383-8E21-B4A77AD54488.jpeg

These statements confuse me. Nothing about the LX is a constraint to driving hard or driving over big stuff. Whether one wants to or not is fair, but it's not a limitation of the car.

The LX is not a psuedo-LC. It is an LC with all the same, or arguably more potential, at its core.

Canguro's Monica baja race truck is an LC through and through. Might be interesting to know that she started life as an LX, but fortunately never got stigmatized for mall duty.
View attachment 3040235
Also last I checked LX570s have more Baja wins then LCs. And the LX570 J201 was pure awesomeness.

The LX has more switches too 🤑

Zero regrets:

• ~$10k cheaper
  • Quieter interior (Sound deadening)
  • 95% of maintenance parts can be ordered from Toyota dealer (Bolts, filters, engine stuff, etc...)
  • Better chance of Lexus dealer maintenance history
  • Better chance of being mall cruiser

Some great LX responses that cover most of what I would have said myself. In short, zero regrets, as I actually made this same decision myself a year ago after a wreck.

I'll have to post a separate thread about this sometime, but a guy pulled out in front of me at an intersection while I was passing through at 40mph and it totaled my 2013 LX570. First LX570, second LX (470, FWIW). Safety mission accomplished, and pissed at what was taken away from me, yet armed with a nice 2021-car-market-adjusted-insurance-check-in-full (immediately settled thanks to my dashcam, btw), I went out and found the exact same vehicle to replace it with. It was a few states away in Alabama, but I bought it, had to have it, and considered nothing less very seriously. And the one I found was indeed old lady driven and serviced exclusively at the local Lexus dealer.

I love the LCs as well overall. And I wish the LXs didn't have so much chrome. But at the end of the day the value play is just there in a much bigger way for the LXs on average as has been pointed out. I thoroughly enjoy the much nicer interior and features (that stereo!) more, and do not like the cheaper looking and less attractive LC dash and interior in comparison. It's where we sit and spend the most time afterall.

You can have a great Land Cruiser, or you can have the ultimate Land Cruiser... in better shape with better maintenance history on average... and it's a lot cheaper.

Hi everyone,

I keep bouncing all over the place with what I’m looking for.

What I want is a LC200 with <150k miles for 25-30k. Except anything in that price range is rusted, busted, or both.

I want the LC over an LX mostly for KDSS, my plan is a mini overland build I can the family out for a couple nights at a time in. Definitely want to get off the beaten path, but unlikely to be a lot of rock crawling.

My question to all you LX owners with the same intentions or are out there exploring. Are you happy? Or do you secretly with you had a LC?

Thanks,
I have an 80 that I could rock crawl with if I really wanted to. I decided the LX was the 200 platform that could do everything else in, including tow and explore on fire roads and gravel roads. Plus it has heated and cooled seats, a better radio and arguably a better ride. It wasn't until I started looking on FB market every day in LA, phoenix, grand junction, Dallas and Atlanta that I found a not rusty car for a reasonable price. 210k miles and paid 22k for it. Now the suspension rides like the Beverly hillbillies so that's gonna be another chunk of money but after that I think I'll be pleased. In no way do I wish I had the 200 land cruiser. Save 10k buying a 570 over a 200 and spend the rest on an 80 and parts/tools.

How does the AHC handle weight of Bumpers and Aux Fuel tank?

LX:
Cheaper, with equal performance + AHC = win
Sensor lift = free
Five 35mm offset wheels: $1,800
Five 35” Kendas: $1.250
Ride in comfort on and offroad on 35s = win

Do that with an LC? Nope. Sure some will say AHC can break and if it does, it will suck, but it will get fixed and be back to great for another couple hundred thousand miles. The actuators are cheap if you use the Japanese site many from this forum have used and the labor isn’t too bad.

The LC does win with front and rear bumper options, as sliders with AHC protection are widely available now.

LX:
Cheaper, with equal performance + AHC = win
Sensor lift = free
Five 35mm offset wheels: $1,800
Five 35” Kendas: $1.250
Ride in comfort on and offroad on 35s = win

Do that with an LC? Nope. Sure some will say AHC can break and if it does, it will suck, but it will get fixed and be back to great for another couple hundred thousand miles. The actuators are cheap if you use the Japanese site many from this forum have used and the labor isn’t too bad.

The LC does win with front and rear bumper options, as sliders with AHC protection are widely available now.
I think the bumper options for the lx will be plentiful in the future. There are just more LXs out there to buy used and they are generally cheaper than a LC.

I love our 13 LX and would choose it over an LC everytime. I especially like the pre 2016s without the predator face grill. Only time an LC makes more sense to me is if you are going to be doing heavy suspension upgrades and AHC would cause issues with that. That's a pretty small group I'd think.

Have both.
21 HE and a '19 LX570.
Wish the LC had the thigh extender from the LX driver seat bottom. That is a feature I wish I had on the LC driver seat.
Also would like to have the vehicle adjustments from the LX570. You can make all kinds of vehicle adjustments without going to the dealer including interior lighting, tap to turn etc. on the lX570.
Would like the Radar Cruise Control that brings you to a stop as well.
Also would like the second row ventilated seat feature on the LC.
Would really like the rear privacy screens built into the door cards-no idea why these were never included on the LC.
Lastly the touch sensitive overhead lighting feature that I wish I could swap out into the LC overhead console and LX has a rear light in the rear hatch next to the third row seat controls that illuminate the trunk that I wish I could incorporate into the LC.
With that being said, in my opinion the LC looks more sporty especially with an upsized tire and I think the design will become even more attractive and over a 20-30 year period will become 'classic'.
The LX is definitely more contemporary in design and as with previous iterations, is slightly more attractive than the LC counterpart but looks are always subjective.

Both are very smooth and extremely capable.

Last edited:
Have both.
21 HE and a '19 LX570.
Wish the LC had the thigh extender from the LX driver seat bottom. That is a feature I wish I had on the LC driver seat.
Also would like to have the vehicle adjustments from the LX570. You can make all kinds of vehicle adjustments without going to the dealer including interior lighting, tap to turn etc. on the lX570.
Would like the Radar Cruise Control that brings you to a stop as well.
Also would like the second row ventilated seat feature on the LC.
Would really like the rear privacy screens built into the door cards-no idea why these were never included on the LC.
Lastly the touch sensitive overhead lighting feature that I wish I could swap out into the LC overhead console and LX has a rear light in the rear hatch next to the third row seat controls that illuminate the trunk that I wish I could incorporate into the LC.
With that being said, in my opinion the LC looks more sporty especially with an upsized tire and I think the design will become even more attractive and over a 20-30 year period will become 'classic'.
The LX is definitely more contemporary in design and as with previous iterations, is slightly more attractive than the LC counterpart but looks are always subjective.

Both are very smooth and extremely capable.
Agree on all points with a similar stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom