Looking for a place to do my own knuckle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all,

Just found this forum, I've been an Austin local for about 13 years and an 80 series owner for almost 7 of those. I've got the dreaded birf soup weeping past my driver side wipers, so it's time for me to tackle this one. I've read the tutorials and watched some videos and think I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for, and I've got the necessary tools and a rebuild kit with new bearings from Cruiser Outfitters, I just don't have a local place to do it.

I'm living at an apartment complex in central Austin and the parking lot is mostly potholes, plus I'm pretty sure I would get reported in a flash if I undertook any major work out there. There are some real nosy folks living here who stay home and peer out their windows at every noise. Last year a guy got busted for bucket-washing his FJ out there :rolleyes:

Hoping one of you kind folks has someplace I could do my knuckle rebuild (preferably in the shade) in exchange for a six pack or something? Some experienced wrenching advice if I get stuck would be very appreciated as well, but I think I would be okay regardless.

Money is tight so I'm trying to avoid doing it at the Austin DIY shop which is $10/hr, because I figure this could take me upwards of 10 hours, being my first time and having no air tools.

PS: I tried to remove the drain fill plug (OEM 24mm bolt) to check the gear oil level and my regular wrench was a no-go. Does anyone have a 24mm socket that's been ground down to have no bevel? The bolt is still in workable condition and I wanted to avoid having to have someone weld a nut on there if vise grips and other brutane methods don't work out. Any other advice on that would be appreciated!

I have the socket on south side if you need, but I rent and unfortunately my place isn't open for the work.

Also have a seal driver kit if you don't already have one. Helps a lot with the inner axle seals.

Ah that would be awesome if I could borrow those!

By the way, I took a picture of your cruiser up off Woodrow (I think) the other day while I was out working, was digging your bedliner and all around setup, meant to post here to see if you were on the forum

Yep, it'll be for sale soon.

Send me a PM whenever is convenient and we'll figure out how to get you those tools.

You're selling your 80?

Yep.

A big trip I did in july/aug made clear it is over-built for the way I always seem to travel. I have a few things to finish up before it's ready to go, and a couple people interested already.. so no ad yet.

You did a V8 conversion, right?

Yes, 6.2L aluminum L92 and 6L80 auto out of an escalade. 403hp in that chassis.. probably less in mine with the 80-series air cleaner. But it's a lot of fun.

We can start a separate thread though.. we've taken this off topic.

I am due to do the knuckle rebuild on mine and have plenty of jackstands - if you can wait a couple weeks I am happy to provide a good place to wrench with plenty of hand, air and power tools.

I may take you up on that! I have shelved the project for the moment so a few weeks is not a big deal. On Saturday my radiator sprang a leak where the tank meets the core on the top passenger side, this was after feeling a dip in power while accelerating onto the highway, so now I'm wondering if my 11,000 mile old head gasket and head rebuild through LCS has failed.

Replacing the radiator is not a big deal (I think it's the original anyway), but if the head gasket is gone again I think my 80 may be too big of a money pit for me to deal with right now. For now I'm thinking on how to check for a head gasket failure before I go to the bother of replacing the radiator to do a pressure test on the cooling system. I don't want to spend $250-300 on a new radiator at the moment just to find out the HG is toast anyway

I may take you up on that! I have shelved the project for the moment so a few weeks is not a big deal. On Saturday my radiator sprang a leak where the tank meets the core on the top passenger side, this was after feeling a dip in power while accelerating onto the highway, so now I'm wondering if my 11,000 mile old head gasket and head rebuild through LCS has failed.

Replacing the radiator is not a big deal (I think it's the original anyway), but if the head gasket is gone again I think my 80 may be too big of a money pit for me to deal with right now. For now I'm thinking on how to check for a head gasket failure before I go to the bother of replacing the radiator to do a pressure test on the cooling system. I don't want to spend $250-300 on a new radiator at the moment just to find out the HG is toast anyway

You can send off a sample of your oil for analysis and they'll tell you if there is even microscopic amounts of coolant in it. About $35 IIRC

just ordered my knuckle rebuilt kit (and caliper rebuild kit too) from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. I'll probably be ready to pull the trigger on that knuckle rebuild in the next two weeks.

Ok.. I can leave tools out if I'm not around. Just drop me a PM with timing or whatever

I think we are planning to wrench the weekend before Thanksgiving. Maybe the 18th or 19th. We'll be on the Eastside - very close to Govalle Elementary school (and Sa-Ten, Flitch, Fleet Coffee, Dog and Duck, and the Lost Well). Will be glad for assistance of any kind.

I think we are planning to wrench the weekend before Thanksgiving. Maybe the 18th or 19th. We'll be on the Eastside - very close to Govalle Elementary school (and Sa-Ten, Flitch, Fleet Coffee, Dog and Duck, and the Lost Well). Will be glad for assistance of any kind.
I may stop by for an hour or so but I have to check if upper management (wife) has something planned.

A.J

I am still locked in to wrench this weekend, I'll be starting at around 8:00am Saturday.

My list of to-do's for the weekend is:
Knuckle Rebuild
Rotor and Pad Replacement
Pressure Flush/Bleed brake system
Dizzy o-ring
CDL Switch
Window Master Switch replacement
maybe speaker replacement...

We'll see how much I get done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom