Centering tool? Knuckle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RevISK

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey hey,

Doing a knuckle rebuild on this fj62 and need/want to double check the ahim Placement. It only had one shim on the bottom and more importantly, the bottom bearing fell out in all its individual pieces when I removed the shaft.

This leads me to believe the spacing was willy nilly. Someone definitely got in there at some point earlier in time as evidenced by the copious amounts of RTV used in assembly.

Does anyone have a centering tool I could borrow/rent this week? Barring that, any suggestions to do it sans said tool?

Thanks,
Ian

I have one. Live 30 miles west of San Marcos. Using it on a truck currently on my lift. Should be wrapping this part of the job up today or tomorrow and then the tool will be available.
Thanks.
Jimmy
Cell 713-805-3962

Radical,

Thanks Jimmy.
I’ll holler in a day or so.

Ian

Hey hey,

Doing a knuckle rebuild on this fj62 and need/want to double check the ahim Placement. It only had one shim on the bottom and more importantly, the bottom bearing fell out in all its individual pieces when I removed the shaft.

This leads me to believe the spacing was willy nilly. Someone definitely got in there at some point earlier in time as evidenced by the copious amounts of RTV used in assembly.

Does anyone have a centering tool I could borrow/rent this week? Barring that, any suggestions to do it sans said tool?

Thanks,
Ian

Hey @RevISK , have done the knuckle rebuild yet? I am currently doing the same on my 40 build and would like to help/observe (if you don’t mind) while you are doing so I can do mine correctly. I disassembled mine on Friday and top/bottom bolts were not tight and both sides only has shims on top.

Thanks,
Luis

Hey @RevISK , have done the knuckle rebuild yet? I am currently doing the same on my 40 build and would like to help/observe (if you don’t mind) while you are doing so I can do mine correctly. I disassembled mine on Friday and top/bottom bolts were not tight and both sides only has shims on top.

Thanks,
Luis
I’ve done the Passenger side of the 62 and will attack the DS of the 62 and all of the 40 when I return from this work trip this coming weekend.

I spent far too much time cleaning crap off of the outside of the whole assembly so I got less dumb and took it to a car wash and spent 3 cycles spraying off everything I could.

PM me and perhaps we can arrange a time for you to come over. It’s not hard, just filthy. I did spend a significant amount of time waiting for parts I didn’t think I’d need.

Ian

I’ve done the Passenger side of the 62 and will attack the DS of the 62 and all of the 40 when I return from this work trip this coming weekend.

I spent far too much time cleaning crap off of the outside of the whole assembly so I got less dumb and took it to a car wash and spent 3 cycles spraying off everything I could.

PM me and perhaps we can arrange a time for you to come over. It’s not hard, just filthy. I did spend a significant amount of time waiting for parts I didn’t think I’d need.

Ian

Thanks Ian, it looked simple enough after watching a couple of how to videos….main concern is also shim placement & knuckle centering as well. As mentioned before, I’ve already disassembled and cleaned everything but when I disassembled, nuts were not too tight and both sides only had shims (2ea) on top. I got the axles from a ‘76 for disc brakes and not sure what the previous owner had done to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom