Looking at fj40, us market vs import ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo I’m looking to getting into the fj40 crowd. Been doing a lot of research.
I did find an 83 import left hand drive, gas.
what’s the negative to this vs the us spec? Are most of the parts like unicorns trying to fix or mod it?
I’m looking for something that’s not a total project, but something drivable yet can work on and tastefully mod, fix over the years.

here’s the link to the fj I’m looking at. Any feedback would be helpful!

Unless i'm missing something on the newer models but it would be right here under the dash, also no heater lines running through the firewall.
Also no heater controls on the dash

2.jpg
1.jpg

It's not going to have a heater which could be pretty important in Alaska?

How much are they asking for it.

Personally i'd do a US
Yes a heater is a must.
Pretty easy to add heater?
It’s seems an equivalent us spec is about 30-50% more money then the imports.

And are the parts the same between the 2? Us spec 82 and import 83 as example?
Can all the parts be interchanged???

Pretty easy to add heater?
It's more than a 2 :banana::banana: job if you want original equipment. You have to cut open the firewall on the left side where the big blank space is. Not to mention plumbing, wiring, switches, etc.

Try some searching here on SA Imports, south american imports, etc. There are a lot of them getting the lipstick on a pig treatment because prices are high right now.

Thank you all to the quick great feedback.
I’ll pass on that import one.

thoughts on this one..:

If you're really serious about spending that kind of money take a look at this one.
Coming from a forum member and you know it's solid

@Will Van

In the price range your looking at, I second checking out Greg @overton
lcnation.com

Once again thanks for all the info!!!
Will vans looks great, not really what I’m looking for though when it comes to the specific mods and look.

any more feed back on the tan 1974 one on eBay???

Will vans looks great, not really what I’m looking for though when it comes to the specific mods and look.

Tan 74' looks like an absolute beauty to me.

Tan 74' looks like an absolute beauty to me.
agree.

only so much can tell from the pics/ad.
prob calling the seller in a bit. As I’m not overly familiar with these old fj (missed the heater in the green one!) what questions should I ask or more pictures of????

agree.

only so much can tell from the pics/ad.
prob calling the seller in a bit. As I’m not overly familiar with these old fj (missed the heater in the green one!) what questions should I ask or more pictures of????
Looks like you could be in Alaska and it's in Texas. There are several Landcruiser clubs in Texas, maybe you could reach out to them and someone could help with an unbiased inspection? Worth a couple hundred bucks when you're considering a purchase of $30k +.
Pictures look nice, description sounds great, next step would be to verify.

The 1974 looks real nice. Some aftermarket mods like power steering / Weber carb are ok but a real purist may not want them. It seems like a real good FJ40.

Oh also the heater valve is quite funky :
1614899447348.png

Should be easy to replace and the pull from the dash seems to be right here waiting for the new original valve.

Aftermarket radiator also.

Mhhh I just saw on this picture the engine is a F155 from a 1973 or older truck. 1974 should be the F.5 but this is not one.

Battery support seems to be some kind of hack job too.

Those are only small things but a bit of hacking there and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom