Looking at fj40, us market vs import ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The paint is not what it probably should be for a full restoration as the price would indicate.
1614900119678.png

Also I'm not the expert, especially when it's a FJ40 that's right around the years where designs changed. Is everything on this consistent for the year, i.e. doors, tub(fuel door), drain area on hood under windshield, hood pads, brake lights, front bezel and aprons.
If all that's up to snuff I still say it's a lot to pay for something that's not necessarily been fully restored.

But I get it there isn't a lot out there in decent condition, so all that being said it's a nice looking cruiser and will "probably" run well. If you have the budget, look around on here for guys that know and love these vehicles and you can get a really good deal for very nice cruisers from what I've seen.

BTW the rear seats don't look like they were recovered very well.

Last edited:
The paint is not what it probably should be for a full restoration as the price would indicate.

Also I'm not the expert, especially when it's a FJ40 that's right around the years where designs changed. Is everything on this consistent for the year, i.e. doors, tub(fuel door), drain area on hood under windshield, hood pads, brake lights, front bezel and aprons.
Definitively it's not a museum restoration, paint is a complete hacking job x) Rear sil has been done also (that would deserve a picture from under the sil to see how it has been done)

Consistency for a 1974 seems quite correct for me at the exception of the engine and the windshield hooks which are from a later model (if you tried to put down the windshield those hooks would not be able to rotate enough to latch).

Front Toyota emblem is also from a 1973 or older but again it's nit picking details.

Definitively it's not a museum restoration, paint is a complete hacking job x) Rear sil has been done also (that would deserve a picture from under the sil to see how it has been done)

Consistency for a 1974 seems quite correct for me at the exception of the engine and the windshield hooks which are from a later model (if you tried to put down the windshield those hooks would not be able to rotate enough to latch).

Front Toyota emblem is also from a 1973 or older but again it's nit picking details.
I don’t need a museum piece. Just a cleaner fj40. That I can tinker on and mod over the years (not back to factory, but fun weekend rig, not much serious off road) . Some good quality aftermarket is ok in certain places (radiator, suspension, etc).
but at the same time needs to be a good deal and price be justified for what I’m getting.

I don’t need a museum piece.
but at the same time needs to be a good deal and price be justified for what I’m getting.
That last line is where I think it's important to know your options. Just because it has a nice(ish) paint job, doesn't mean it isn't covering some problems. Too often you get the guy just doing a "quick flip" thinking they can paint it, throw a few cool looking mods on and call it restored, when really, care hasn't been taken to see that it is a good truck that is going to last someone. Good luck with this though if you do decide to get it. We all like to nit pick but when it comes down to it, it's your money and just be happy with whatever decision you make and go forward.

agree.

only so much can tell from the pics/ad.
prob calling the seller in a bit. As I’m not overly familiar with these old fj (missed the heater in the green one!) what questions should I ask or more pictures of????
Id want pics of under the carpet to see the condition of the floors and hump, pics of power steering mod, and a crap load of pics of the underneath. I would also want to know if the frt disc were done with stk Toyota parts and what knuckles were used or was it aftermarket kit. The engine issues and oil fill that flx mentioned is concerning. It missing the rear heater. Whats with the stuff stuck on the bottom of the hood? Ask what works and what doesn't. If your still interested, then I'd find somebody local to look at it, or you go look at it with somebody who's familiar with FJxx's.

Id want pics of under the carpet to see the condition of the floors and hump, pics of power steering mod, and a crap load of pics of the underneath. I would also want to know if the frt disc were done with stk Toyota parts and what knuckles were used or was it aftermarket kit. The engine issues and oil fill that flx mentioned is concerning. It missing the rear heater. Whats with the stuff stuck on the bottom of the hood? Ask what works and what doesn't. If your still interested, then I'd find somebody local to look at it, or you go look at it with somebody who's familiar with FJxx's.
I’m getting better pics tomorrow of underneath, brakes and power steering. I’ll post them up here.
All the interior carpet and under the hood is Dyno mat.... so can’t see true condition of floor pan,
Not sure what you mean by engine issues abs oil fill? Current owner bought it a few years ago from a guy that did all the referb and “rebuilt the stock motor and trans” along with all the other mods....

One thing is what are good comps out there for around high $20s????

I will be the third person to recommend giving Overton a ring at LC Nation. He’ll shoot ya straight. Worth the dime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom