Looking at buying an FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm a LC noob and I have a question for the experts.

I am considering selling my 2000 Durango and buying an 88 FJ62 from my neighbor as my DD & family vehicle.
It only has 88,000 miles and is bone stock.
The interior is showroom perfect, the right front fender has some pretty good rust on the bottom rear. There's a few rust spots popping out in a few other places. All in all though, it's in really good shape.
There are some spots underneath that seeping oil. Is this a common issue?

I guess he bought it @ 30k miles and it just sits in the garage.
He wants $8000 for it. Is he just dreaming or is it worth it?

Oh and it's super gutless. It needs a tune-up like nobody's business.

I am considering selling my 2000 Durango and buying an 88 FJ62 from my neighbor as my DD & family vehicle.
The interior is showroom perfect, the right front fender has some pretty good rust on the bottom rear. There's a few rust spots popping out in a few other places. All in all though, it's in really good shape.

More info and photo's. What is the actual mileage? Any repairs of needed repairs? How old are the tires, brakes, etc?

More info and photo's. What is the actual mileage? Any repairs of needed repairs? How old are the tires, brakes, etc?

I don't have any photos. The paint is basically perfect except for those couple of rust spots. No dents.
The tires are 31/10.50-15s (Original to current owner, ie. need replacing)
He had it serviced at the Toyota dealer once every year and had anything fixed that needed to be fixed.

He said that he had never done a tune-up since he owned it. (It idles a little rough and has little power)

I'm not sure on the brakes, but that is a simple repair.

The driver's power window switches were replaced a year ago.
It has never seen a dirt road.
The tire jack has never even been used.

Nothing has been upgraded, only repairs done when necessary.

Actual mileage is 88,900.

Last edited:

Get used to it. It will certainly feel gutless compared to a newer Durango.

Land Cruisers are nice and I love ours but your family is safer in the Durango. And at 20 years old, they need a lot of nickel and dime stuff. Little things add up quick!

Why the switch to a vehicle that is twice as old? $8 grand seems high, but every area is different.

88k miles is good. It might run another 100 before the auto trans acts up. Unless it was neglected, then that will happen earlier.

good rust on the fender and at some other visible spots usually means that there is a lot more hidden. be very careful, and have someone experienced look at it. look at the frame, the a pillars, the rear frame support directly behind the bumper, the roof gutters, and small things like the screws for the light adjustment. this will tell you.

Honestly, it should not leak much with 88k. often they drip a little, but a good transfer case is tight, a good tranny is tight, and the engine certainly should not seep oil. if it does, the pan gasket is bad, or the rear main, or another thing that will need fixing eventually.

The 3FE is extremely gutless, but it makes up for it by sucking gas :D
expect no better than 12mpg if you baby it. this engine-auto tranny combo might be the worst of all toyota engines in consumption. a tune up will not change that by much.

You seem to be in love with this vehicle, but be aware that there are probably MUCH better deals out there. for 8k you should get a truly rust free one. rust repairs are costly, time consuming, and not permanent.

Look at it this way-here's a honest ad for this truck: 20 year old truck, rusty, leaks oil, gutless, terrible fuel milage: 8k :D

8k is WAY overpriced for it, imo.

cheers,
J

I wondered about the $8k price tag. I think he figures that you can't find one with that low of mileage so it must be worth it.

I did see some rust starting on the pass side A-pillar. That could be bad news.
I'd have to upgrade the rear seat lap belts as well.

Maybe I'll let him try and sell it and when noone buys it for $8k, I'll offer him $4k. :hmm:

I wondered about the $8k price tag. I think he figures that you can't find one with that low of mileage so it must be worth it.

I did see some rust starting on the pass side A-pillar. That could be bad news.
I'd have to upgrade the rear seat lap belts as well.

Maybe I'll let him try and sell it and when noone buys it for $8k, I'll offer him $4k. :hmm:

I would not do it. rust is a deal-killer, since it is so hard and expensive to fix. It would be a much better idea to look for a rust free truck. 62s are all over for sale, since people can't afford the gas prices anymore.
j

I would not do it. rust is a deal-killer, since it is so hard and expensive to fix. It would be a much better idea to look for a rust free truck. 62s are all over for sale, since people can't afford the gas prices anymore.
j

You're probably right.
Thanks for the advice guys.

8 grand? He's dreaming. GO Toyota in Denver Just sold a 80k miles bone stock, zero leaks, non faded paint, finely tuned with no rust, and immaculate 1986 FJ60 for just under 6k.

As for being gutless.... Welcome to the world of [60 and ] 62 series [2f and] 3f engines.

If I were buying a 62 for 8 grand - I would expect it to be maintenance free for 100k miles or highly. They are money pits, and its easier on your wallet if you don't start out that far in the hole for something worth less. With what you've said and without pics, I would not pay more than 5k for it.

But don't get me wrong I love my cruiser and will never want to part with it but you get you and your wife the capable, luxurious, and family friendly 80 series cruiser for 8 - 10 grand.

that's my two cents.

Well, I've never driven a Durango, so I can't really compare. My stock 62 may be a junkpile but I'd never describe it as gutless. OTOH, 8K is way too much for any amout of rust.

Bill

The one line thats killer is RUST. A find like this with absolutly no rust and you would get a E_bay buyer to go 8k or several thousand more depending on how many are bidding. I personally would rather have a rust free perfect interior with a blown engine for 8k than the one you describe. A engine is easy to find, the rust never rest

Last edited:
My company rig is a 2001 Durango. It gets about 12-13 around town and about 15 highway.

It's an OK rig (especially since I'm not paying for it!).

That being said, I'd much rather drive my Cruiser (89 FJ-62 w/291K) but with the stock 3FE and 35" tires it gets a whopping 8 mpg.

It sits a lot!

IMHO for $8K, or maybe a little more, you could buy a fairly nice FJ-80 or FZJ-80, but is WAY to high for a 62 with rust.

I paid $3400 for mine, completely rust free but with 256K on the clock.

I guess it depends on if you plan on doing any off roading with it.

Ya, it's good that I asked you guys first. I originally thought I would replace my Durango and my Cherokee. But after a little consideration. I think I'll keep my Durango and when the Cherokee finally kicks it I'm gonna buy an FJ40. Then I'll be back on this forum.
For now though, I'll just keep wheelin the XJ, and towing it with the Durango.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Best thing to do is take your time. Decide what you really want and how it fits within your lifestyle. Right now a 40 series isnt something that will fit within my family. I like wagons anyway even when I was single. But look at the whole picture and go from there. I listed a number of cruisers above. A few are 62's but the majority of them are 80 series and some with lockers. I just wanted you to see what we have all been saying. That guy is living a pipe dream for that price. You cant get a well equip'd 60 or 62 for that money. Or buy a very nice 80 series.

I recently bought an FJ62 for 1600 dollars. The engine was toast after the guy broke a piston skirt. It still ran but sounded terrible. The truck is very nice. No rust, clean paint and interior. Has a few dents from the towing company prior to my buying it. Brand new shocks, brakes, etc... the guy spent over 3500 dollars on a complete transmission overhaul and transfercase overhaul including brand new Toyota OEM gears and output shaft and torque converter. I have all the receipts for every thing ever done on this truck since he has owned it. I mean this guy saved everything... even it he got charged to have air put in the tires he made sure he had a receipt for it. To me this was well worth the money. I am currently rebuilding a 2F short block. I have already had the 3FE head done and hope to have it all together soon. I am just waiting for the pistons. I will wheel this truck and use it with the family and as a daily driver. I dont have any other plans to buy another cruiser. Maybe in another year or so I might get an 80 series and park the 62. These rigs work well within my lifestyle and family. I have owned other cruiser over the years including an FJ45LV which I kick myself for selling. Anyway take your time and when you are ready you will know it is time to buy that cruiser.

I just got an '89 62 with 175K and it's pretty rust free. I only paid $3500. Some may say that is too much money. So don't pay 8 grand for it... your right to offer him 4 grand for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom