long jump seats with rollbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there an easy answer to putting the long jump seats in a 72 with rollbar
thought I could attach them to the bar instead of the bedside, but then then stick out and the bumper misses the wheel well.

Last edited:
Been there done that. I used a kit from Man-A-Fre back in 74. The kit included eight of those bracket instead of four. My 68 had two bolts at each location instead of one. Used it when I install a Smittybuilt rollbar. Just installed the brackets and redilll new hole for the back to feet. THe front leg was off the wheel well. Which to a OEM style rollbar with small jump seats in 83 to gain the three point seat belts. I did pickup a parts lot in 95 that had a another different set. This one had two larger and two smaller brackets. Not sure but I thing the idea with those was to install the larger brackets on the front and smaller on the back. Guess this may have angled the seats enough to keep the front leg over the wheel well.

I had a set of the long seats given to me several ago and had the same dilemma. I finally ended up cutting out about 12" as I recall, and welding them back together. Not the best solution, but I'm ok with it.:hillbilly: Oh, and do I need to add that I'm not an upholstery guy!?
001.jpg

Pic - Long bench and rollbar

I used the brackets from SOR to keep the long bench seats after installing an aftermarket rollbar in my '69. The one leg on each bench is sticking out past the wheelwell and I haven't had time to figure out a support solution (other than a 4x4 piece of wood...ha!).

I guess I should install the frame supports for piece of mind.
(sorry for crappy cell phone pics)
seat bracket.jpg
seat bracket 2.jpg
seat bracket 3.jpg

funkytown, thanks for the pics, that rear leg is whats throwin me off themost, i guess i could cut it and extend it down to the floor, or angle it back to the front of the wheel well,
has anyone fabbed a "legs" that would fold up with the seat but extend down to the floor when the seat is down?

or anyone want to trade a short set for long set of seats

This is one of the jump seats with rollbar in my 1972 (12/71). I don't know if the jump seats or the rollbar are for a 1972 or not. I believe my hard top and doors are from a newer model, So the seats and rollbar may also be newer. The rear bumpers do land on my wheel wells, and there is no sign of cutting and welding.

Hope this helps.:cheers:,Ben
DSCN2648.jpg
DSCN2644.jpg
DSCN2646.jpg

I don't think all long jump seats have that style outward leg. I've had two sets where the leg turned back toward the wheel well and you could still attach it using the SOR brackets.
Here's an old picture of my jump seats that used the SOR brackets. If you look closely, you can see the brackets. I no longer have them or I'd take a better picture.

71insideclose-1.jpg

Here's a set I had for sale once.

jump5.jpg

Yeah, something is up with that foot, don't look right. Mine works, turns back also not oval with two holes...

I don't have any pictures to post up right now, however, I built some pretty nice legs for mine. Mine has a similar roll bar as the black ones posted above. It was an old ConFer my dad put in long ago and had a similar set of brackets as shown above. Problem was the rubber bumpers have to be moved back and the seats will bend from lack of support. When I reworked my seats I extended the rear support that went over to the side of the body, and reused the brackets on the front as the bolt hole was blocked by the roll bar. I also welded in new supports on the seat frames for the rubber bumpers, and added fold down legs. The legs are also supported with welded in supports to the seat frame. The legs themselves are a U shape of square tubing. The fold out and stop against the hinges which are made from a slightly larger piece of square tubing with the back side cut out. This peice of tubing is welded to a small plate the bolts to the seats. These bolts correspond to the supports I added within the seat frame under the cushion with welded nuts just like factory.

They came out nice and work well, however, to get the support leg towards the rear to hit the wheel well, the seats had to be shimmed slightly under the legs. This in turn makes the back of the seat more vertical than originally designed and in turn is pretty uncomfortable.

I have two young ones now, so I'm looking at bench seat options, for car seat compatability.

I was looking at these: HONDA, NISSAN, TOYOTA, LOW BACK BUCKET SEATS, PEWTER | eBay

They are take outs from the middle row of Chrysler/Dodge vans. They fold flat. I wonder if a large hinge and bracket could be fitted to make them fold up like jump seats, but seat like a bench. Pretty basic seats but a good price. They are about the right size. They may even work for all the seats in a 40, I only wonder if they have enough long term support for a front seat. Any have a newer minivan that can attest to the comfort of the middle row seats as a drivers seat.

Otherwise I'm leaning towards a geo tracker rear bench.

MoCo, please post poics to go with your post above. I would love to add some fold-down legs/supports, similar to the ones that came on the short bench seats. Thanks for the info!

The short jump seat and rollbar was a US market thing for the most part. Many other markets didn't have a rollbar but in the later years all jump seats had the fold down leg. Might be another option sourcing some of those. The later troopies had twin set of jump seat each side. Some of those may also work. I've seen Specter Ofroad selling troopy jump seat in the past. Or could figure a way to lengthen the leg on the shorter jump seats. One thing that was different on the seats with fold down leg was the bottom plate was attached to the top of the tube frame instead of the bottom like older seats.

Give me some time, I saw some pictures where I took the covers loose to show the reinforcements inside the cushions, but they are on an old computer, otherwise I'll have to take some new pictures when I get a chance.

Pic - Long bench and rollbar

I used the brackets from SOR to keep the long bench seats after installing an aftermarket rollbar in my '69. The one leg on each bench is sticking out past the wheelwell and I haven't had time to figure out a support solution (other than a 4x4 piece of wood...ha!).

I guess I should install the frame supports for piece of mind.
(sorry for crappy cell phone pics)
View attachment 594490View attachment 594491View attachment 594492
Sorry I realizes this is an older thread, and I am wondering. How long are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom