Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj40.co.uk
If your budget will stretch to only one locker,say an ARB, which would be the best axel to choose? In my case on my VX80 diesel [full time 4wd] it has LSD on the back so I guess an ARB on the front would make sense?
I also have a 74 FJ40 4 speed [part time 4wd] and are wondering which would be best on this, the front sounds good as all the weight is there and you can move the wheels side to side if your really stuck?
Thanks
Rotor

VX80- ARB front.

FJ-40 ARB rear, and then one in the front. But that is just me. If you are going to lock the front up in anything, it will need P/S. Hopefully you have this already...

I prefer the locker in the back of my 40 over the front.

or don't get the ARB yet and buy two aussie lockers for less!! problem solved!! lockers in both axles for less!! plus you could save up for both ARBs while you are already locked up!!

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=1;threadid=8902;start=msg77140#msg77140 date=1071716190]

Can't buy Aussie Locker outside of North America. :slap:
[/quote]

Then pony up for the ARB's!

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=1;threadid=8902;start=msg77140#msg77140 date=1071716190]
Are sure the L.S.D. still even works?[/quote]

If not, take another hit ;) ... or two ... or three ... Bwahahaha. :D

always lock the rear first....always. front alone is near-useless.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8902;start=msg77244#msg77244 date=1071751357]
always lock the rear first....always. front alone is near-useless.
[/quote]

i dont agree its ALOT EASYER to pull over something that to push haveing trucks set up the same way the one with the locker in the frnt made the climb WAY easyer... i dont really know about mud and maybe thats what your talking about and yes you would want to have P/S for this as well. but there is a fine line as to "hardcore" climb makein this set or anything other that both suck ... but if you not doing both i dont think you going for HARDCORE

Pulling over something sounds great....'cept that means most of your weight is shifted to the rear of the vehicle, reducing front traction/friction. When the front gets light, you want that traction in the rear.

I ran a front locker alone...mud, rock, snow...for a couple years. Regretted it from day one, but was too lazy to switch it to the rear.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8902;start=msg77252#msg77252 date=1071753162]
Pulling over something sounds great....'cept that means most of your weight is shifted to the rear of the vehicle, reducing front traction/friction. When the front gets light, you want that traction in the rear.

I ran a front locker alone...mud, rock, snow...for a couple years. Regretted it from day one, but was too lazy to switch it to the rear.
[/quote]

Mmmm i guess we had different expireance on this one .... mine is/was with a four runner maybe the wheel base changes it but the same climb i couldn't do as easy with a rear locker as frnt ??.... but in the same right i will weld the rear of the 60 before i get a frnt locker... cause i'm cheap

Few years back a club member had his spiders welded in his front IFS of his toy pickup due to breakage. The strangest thing is he tryed several times to climb a large sand hill called baldy, couldn't do it forward but backed right up it. So I'm with Woody on the hill thing. On the other hand Flat driving in sand,mud, or snow I feel the front would do more to pull you through the crap. Isn't this why most vehicles are front wheel drive?

When climbing you want your weight over the wheels that will give you traction (rear in most cases).

I contend that unless you indeed back up the hill (as mentioned in the previous post) your locked front end will break loose due to lack of weight whereas your rear end will still have downward force and be able to toss your junk over the obstacle.

Pretty simple physics apply here.

Front lockers come in handy when you need that much more traction or when the rear hangs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom