Locker Test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I was out yesterday wheeling my FJ 60 and got into a little stuck situation. How can I check if my locker is working? I asked my buddy if he can see both tires turning but he could not tell (don't ask). I guess I can put the rear up on jackstands and see if both tires turn I don't think that is the best test. So how I tell if my locker is working without any help.

Mike El Paso TLCA 8009

1985 FJ-60
1977 FJ-40 http://community.webshots.com/user/mep1811

I tested mine ARB locker by jacking up the back and spinning one side with it not engaged and the other spun the other way then enageded it and then they both spun together.

You have a ARB?

Auto locker, like Lockright, Detroit, Aussie?

Jack up both wheels with the tranny in gear. Have a buddy hold one wheel tight in the forward direction and you check the other wheel. It should ratchet in the direction opposite to the other side and lock in the same direction. Repeat while holding the wheel in the other direction.

Last edited:
its easy, go with a friend to a dirt road, let your friend get off and look at the rear tires, raise the rpms to 3,000 and drop the clutch. if you see two rooster trails its locking. if you see one, then its not. Right??? Besides, you can also see the little ruts left on the road by the spinning tires.

Mine will climb until the carb looses fuel with the locker, without it would not.

You should beable to think of lots of ways to check to see if your locker is working. If it's a lockright i don't think that you can screw it up and have it still drive......

Dave

Since his question seems answered, lemme toss in one of my own.

Is a lockright supposed to click when you get on the brakes aka coming to a stop?

A lock right or EZ locker or Aussie locker(all use the same concept) clicks when one tire is moving faster or slower than the other. If you are moving in a straight line it shouldn't click but if you do a u turn it should go CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK until you drive in a straight line again.

Yeah, see mine clicks when im going in a straight line with the brakes on. Coasting off idle at low speed, no click, tap the brakes, clicking starts. Could be associated with the lack of an ebrake tensioning spring in the drum on the side that makes the clicking noise but why i dont know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom