Loan me a pre-'69 tail light cone for mold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Half an hour of fumbling/pair. Think playdoh. Another half hour of finish work.

How much interest is there actually for reproduced cones? Is it just like 5 guys or is getting it scanned and printed in Nylon worth it? I have one good cone, and one kinda good cone, that I would be willing to put forward for scanning.

The cones in question were used from '64-68. Unsure how many of those years are left, how many of those left still have original lights and brackets, and of that small number how many owners would be willing to buy new ones.

I need two. And if I could buy a pair that were very close to factory (durability) I’d easily drop 100 bucs.

I wonder if a billet set that was aluminized or powder coated black is feasible? Unfortunately I don’t even have one to fiddle with.

Yeah given these are in LOS of projectiles from rear wheels without mudflaps something other than plastic is necessary. Kevlar. Can that be 3D printed?

In addition to mudflaps on my ‘63 FJ45 I’m going to dip my cones (outside) in the rubber tool dip stuff to give them some inherent rigidity and impact resilience. Not a top-shelf Toyota design.

Last edited:
I bet anything metal would be super expensive. Although metal would be awesome. I’m sure plastic would hold up for a long time. No reason we couldn’t make the plastic a bit thicker than Oem while we were at it?

Making the plastic thicker wouldn't be an issue and would hardly affect the cost. I have the ability to print the plastic with carbon fiber infill but that would be more expensive. Making them out of metal may be cost prohibitive unless someone wants to invest in a stamping machine and produce them.

I still think printing them in black nylon would be the most durable for the money. But I'm no longer in the market, so don't weigh my opinion too highly.

Last edited:
What about a plaster mold then creating the replica in fiberglass? We only really care about the exterior finish so this should work great, right? Could even make a mold out of fiberglass but getting the original cone to release might damage it.

If I can acquire one I’ll try it...I used to fiberglass the s*** out of surfboards when younger.

Spray 3M release product on the body of the rear light housing. Do an exterior layup with ultra thin fiberglass cloth (several layers).
Then proceed to using heavier cloth to provide user a stout form/mold.
We used to make all types of N.L.A parts when we were into Lotus Elans. It's surprising, if you take your time how forgiving working with resin and cloth is.........even for a non talented person such as myself.
Just a thought.

I recently picked up a 69 (late 68 production) but haven't looked at the condition of my light cones yet. I will do so. In the next few months, I should have scanning capabilities up and running at work. I'm sure my engineers would love some practice so I think I can get a 3d scan for free. If so I can provide the models for anyone wanting to have one printed.

I recently picked up a 69 (late 68 production) but haven't looked at the condition of my light cones yet. I will do so. In the next few months, I should have scanning capabilities up and running at work. I'm sure my engineers would love some practice so I think I can get a 3d scan for free. If so I can provide the models for anyone wanting to have one printed.

Count me in! I’m super close to you too.

Got the pristine cone off my 65 fj40 and I’ll be bringing it back with me to Seattle for scanning. Only has one exit hole by the way.

Safely at home. Should get access to a scanner in early January.
45782866024_c5cf118b35_c.jpg

If it moves this project forward the tipping point. I'd be interested in a set of these as well.

One of my buddies has a fancy printer that he used to make up some birfield cases out of ABS recently and they turned out beautifully. I'll bet he'd help us out if someone is able to share a scan.

If it moves this project forward the tipping point. I'd be interested in a set of these as well.

One of my buddies has a fancy printer that he used to make up some birfield cases out of ABS recently and they turned out beautifully. I'll bet he'd help us out if someone is able to share a scan.
I will get an orientation at the maker space on Tuesday. After that I’ll let you know when I’ll have access to a scanner. I can share the file so people can print it wherever they want. I may try and print with Nylon.

You guys are off and running. Here is something to keep you going.

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET PART X above, the tiny little cube the parts catalog identifies as "filter". :p

That’s so rusty water that’s accumulated in the housing gets filtered before it drains to the environment. California thing, I’m sure. Causes cancer too I’ve read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom