LJ78 | Electrical Short (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got to replacing my engine mounts, but on my first test drive a fuse link popped (battery terminal - black to white).

Got the new fuse link in today, but there is a nasty short. Started disconnecting my ignition switch and alternator, but still no luck.

I have removed all the fuses and tested. Not one fuse has blown, hence isolating the issue to an electrical part is not viable in the first instance. In addition, I have removed the aux power box and tested all wires and fuses. No issues found.

All grounds have been tested and looking good.

Not sure if it might been related to the engine mount replacement as the engine was lifted a bit. That seems the most logical starting point...

As per the diagram, next steps will be to disconnect the starter relay. Due to the starter being the closest to the firewall, the wires / connectors may have been damaged with the engine lift.

If you have any ideas, please let me know as the alternative to disconnect and trace wires is going to be a long task :(.

1697601695702.png

Last edited:
You turned the key and the fusible burned out or were you driving down the road?

Just throwing this out there, but is it possible when you lifted the engine that some wire to the starter or some positive power wire got pinched so the shielding is removed and possibly grounding out?

Unfortunately for something like this, going through wiring from end to end is required, starting with where you did work and working outwards from there... best of luck!!

:cheers:

I've had a nasty short before and it was related to the glow system to intake manifold. I mixed up the insulator order there. Also, glow rail can bend into head if you're not careful. These are probably not your issues, but the only such example I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom